Cube with only bittering hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoxR

Reaction score
Hi all I brewed the Stick and stones recipe http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/877-sticks-and-stones/
on Monday last week and cubed it (first no chill), The only reason I did this was because I didn't have any galaxy. I used some Nelson for in the boil to achieve the required IBU's. I now have a couple of packs of Galaxy to complete the recipe so should I dry hop this or steep the hops in hot water? I was going to use some wort and make a hop tea put I have already pitched as I was too impatient.
I have 18 liters fermenting away as of Wednesday night last week. Normally I have just followed tried and true recipes so this is a little out of the box for me.
I did post this in the recipe section for this beer however I received no advice.as yet. This will be fermenting for 6 days tonight and I have still yet to put in any aroma or flavor hops. I do not really know what amount would be required and for how long
Thanks

do a little mini boil and do your flavour aroma additions, chill and add.. she'll be right :chug:

What was the recipe? OG?

I'd do a little 4lt boil (dme to 1040), add a 10 minute and a 0 minute addition, chill and pitch the lot in..

Hi yob ive been thinking about this lately if i was to do a 44litre batch no chilled with bittering addition. Then on fermenting day add 39 litres to fermenter with yeast and boil 5 litres up to add flavour and aroma additions chill and add back to fermenter.
would 5 litres be enough to boil or am i overthinking this.

Kingy if your only after a 10 or 0min addition you only need a couple of litres wort. The idea you have should be fine.

Just think of it this way, less wort you boil up the less wort that you have to chill.

Kingy said:
Hi yob ive been thinking about this lately if i was to do a 44litre batch no chilled with bittering addition. Then on fermenting day add 39 litres to fermenter with yeast and boil 5 litres up to add flavour and aroma additions chill and add back to fermenter.
would 5 litres be enough to boil or am i overthinking this.
but why.....?

your no chilling would be a 40m bittering charge + cube additions and then dry hopped, thats pretty simple.

Making wort and then reboiling a portion of collected wort to add to the main wort seems well......pointless, when you can achieve flavour & aroma into the wort without doing that.

:huh:

Pratty1 said:
but why.....?

your no chilling would be a 40m bittering charge + cube additions and then dry hopped, thats pretty simple.

Making wort and then reboiling a portion of collected wort to add to the main wort seems well......pointless, when you can achieve flavour & aroma into the wort without doing that.

:huh:
ive tried altering hop additions like that and think its all coming into place. Then do a few duplicate recipes and the hop bitterness is all over the place.
Dunno weather its brewing on hot days or wateva making them bitter.
Im gunna try this argon method to see if i can get better consistency before i head back to chilling.

I find using whole flowers as the cube addition helps to reign in added bitterness, if that's your major concern. It's still variable though.

Do what Yob said in post #2 but dry hop with centennial. At least 100g per 20 litres for 3 days.
As long as your malt bill stacks up youll have a magnificent beer. Happy days.

I would nc a kolsch or any other beer without loads of late hops. The earlier bittering additions aren't what leads to that big bitter hit.

Anybody tried adding a hop tea after ferment? I am sensitive to grassiness. What is the minimum boil time to get rid of the grass?

Yob said:
do a little mini boil and do your flavour aroma additions, chill and add.. she'll be right :chug:

What was the recipe? OG?

I'd do a little 4lt boil (dme to 1040), add a 10 minute and a 0 minute addition, chill and pitch the lot in..
Thank mate, I'll give this a go tonight. OG was 1044 to try to make a lighter beer for the wife.
As I said I had to do this as I had no hops available (Galaxy) but I have time to brew so I thought I would try something new. Well most everything is new to me with the amount of brews I have done.
Thanks All for the advice.

Just an update, I kegged this last Thursday and have had a few glasses as it has been carbing up. Turned out great and will be doing another one soon.

Pratty1 said:
but why.....?

:huh: de
I know a lot of people cube hop, but to get full advantage of aroma and flameout additions you really need to add the hops to the cube at around 80 degrees or less to prevent isomerisation happening.
In my case I would be loath to open the sealed cube to introduce the possibility of infection.

For example I currently have two sealed 10L cubes and about 3L of wort in a lidded stockpot, all just with bittering hops.
Tomorrow I'll reboil the stockpot with the 10 minute then flameout hops, chill quickly in laundry tub and pitch with the contents of the two cubes into the fermenter.

So the late hop additions have completely bypassed the cube, thus avoiding the most commonly touted argument against no chilling.

Added process works for some, can't be arsed myself, just dry hop the keg (if required) and job done..

Time is something in short supply so cube additions work for me, if I was more.. At leisure, I might faff about with it a bit more ;)

Well if you prefer the flavour from a 15-20min hop addition then you are best to take 2-3 litres from it just before you are ready to pitch yeast and do your flavour & aromas, chill it as Bribie says, bang it in the ferm.

That way your are not altering the amount of wort.

Good if you want to make a a base bitter wort and then latter play with different flavour and aroma hops in smaller batches

Just depends on what you want top achieve really

Both Yob's & Bribie's methods work.

I think I will try both methods just for the experience and understanding.

Latest posts

Back