Cube with only bittering hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good idea. Will give you an understanding of how different methods chnage flavour and aroma

I brewed this again yesterday the same way and will do a mini boil during the week with the flavor and aroma additions.
I have mad a small change though and should eliminate the need to cool the mini boil, I put the cube in the freezer part of my fermenting fridge as it gets the cube to about 7 degrees, this has also dropped some trub to the bottom before fermenting so a plus with that also. I am hoping that adding the mini boil to the cool wort will reach fermenting temp or close enough to it.

Congrats, you just invented the argon method :) I usually chill mine to around 4-5 but i like to ferment at 16. So 7 should take you to around 19-20

CoxR said:
I brewed this again yesterday the same way and will do a mini boil during the week with the flavor and aroma additions.
I have mad a small change though and should eliminate the need to cool the mini boil, I put the cube in the freezer part of my fermenting fridge as it gets the cube to about 7 degrees, this has also dropped some trub to the bottom before fermenting so a plus with that also. I am hoping that adding the mini boil to the cool wort will reach fermenting temp or close enough to it.

Yob said:
do a little mini boil and do your flavour aroma additions, chill and add.. she'll be right :chug:

What was the recipe? OG?

I'd do a little 4lt boil (dme to 1040), add a 10 minute and a 0 minute addition, chill and pitch the lot in..
ive got a beer that I didn't have flavour hops for (I did but couldn't find them on the day) and am going to try this method tomorrow using the wort tho to add my 20min and 0min additions then add the unchilled mini boil to the chilled cubes/ wort in the fermenter. How long would you let it sit before adding to fermenter? if I was to do it straight away its gunna make the 0min addition useless. 10mins? 15?

Just try it with the zero min addition and let it stand for a few minutes of the heat.
I have had great success with this method so far. YES it is a bit more mess and mucking around but it works in situations like you and I found ourselves in.

Back