Craft Beer Branding: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting take on branding. In marketing parlance "through the line" describes all that goes into a brand image including all of those you mentioned and more.

Craft brewery names fascinate me. Seems they mostly fall into one of three groupings; 1) animals; real or mythical (Brew Dog, Moo Brew, Moon Dog) 2) place names or landmarks (Australian, 4 Pines, Burleigh) and 3) some kind of abstract concept (Pirate Life, Elysian, Rogue).

Personally I think animal names have been done to death. If I was to turn pro I think I would try and do so as Killer Brewing Co. Not sure it is any better or worse than others out there but something I think I could work with from a branding point of view.

Would love to hear what others on here would go with if they got the chance?

I would be thinking along the lines from one of Australia's poets C.J Dennis, Lawson or Patterson, Clancy's Overflow Brewery or Ginger Mick's Moody Brewery, though some would say Ginger Mick is not politically correct.

Also the beers that have some sort of quirky story attached such as 150 Lashes, Hop Thief etc.

How about a Police orientated series:

Body Cam Bitter
Phone Book Smash IPA
Brown Paper Bag Stout
Revenue Raising Red Ale

Bribie G said:
Also the beers that have some sort of quirky story attached such as 150 Lashes, Hop Thief etc.

How about a Police orientated series:

Body Cam Bitter
Phone Book Smash IPA
Brown Paper Bag Stout
Revenue Raising Red Ale
Perjury Pilsener
Death in Custody IIPA
Rotten Copper sour ale
True Justice Black IPA ( a contradiction in terms)
On the run Witbier
and Bogan Justice Bitter

more...?

Dealing with the mother-Farking scum of society golden ale

I'd use some of the quirky landmark names around the country. On the Sunshine Coast some of my favourites are:

Murdering Creek Road
Old Woman Island
Wild Horse Mountain
Breakneck Creek

Wild Dog Valley Road (From my younger days in S.A.)

Add whatever style of beer to the landmark name.

went to a restuarent of wet oz many years ago canning perth 1989 nice food the good bad and the ulgy !!!!!!!!!!!

Dissin' my authority ale (with a pic of Cartman on the label)

Sunshine_Brewer said:
Nice work! I do like Sierra Nevada Brewing Co branding seems to evoke a certain quality of craft and tradition.
I agree with you.,
Will take a look at the US Market next.

Black Devil Dog said:
I'd use some of the quirky landmark names around the country. On the Sunshine Coast some of my favourites are:

Murdering Creek Road
Old Woman Island
Wild Horse Mountain
Breakneck Creek

Wild Dog Valley Road (From my younger days in S.A.)

Add whatever style of beer to the landmark name.
Van Dieman Brewing here in Tasmania does the same thing...all local landmarks around his brewery.

a slimline can that is usually reserved for low carb, tasteless, very un-craft beer.

Sixpoint from usa might change your mind there, and their branding is pretty good too. As for the rest of your observations I'd pretty much agree.

Bribie G said:
Using your old button Nokia again Gabba?
yeah bribie
actually it's the old analoge bag phone like the the one you had down at grafton
the good bad ugly rest. was pretty good
they encouraged the patrons to put initials in the table
I reckon you would end up in the lockup these days
sorry about ot cheers

chrisluki said:
Van Dieman Brewing here in Tasmania does the same thing...all local landmarks around his brewery.
Eggs and bacon bay and Snug need to feature

manticle said:
Eggs and bacon bay and Snug need to feature
Love it!!!

My 6 year old said to me the other night...What are those "Began" (cross between a bogan and a vegan perhaps?) people up to now...I love bacon, dont change the name!

Latest posts

Back