Cost Of Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree, the cost of the grain ect is not the issue, or even the equipment, when it takes, on a good day, 5 hours to do a 25 litre batch, my time on weekends is worth at least $50 per hour so $250.00 worth of labour alone would tell you we dont do it to save money.

Steve

5 hours Steve...thats a lot.

This is how i do it.

1. Mash In at 5:30am, go back to bed - 10 minutes
2. Back out in the shed to do the sparge at 7:00am - 30 minutes
3. Wort in kettle to do the boil by 7:30am, turn 3 ring burner on and go in side to make a cuppa - 10 minutes to setup
4. Boil starts , set timer going for first hop addition generally 30 minutes after start of boil, go back inside and have breaky with family - 10 minutes
5. Do first hop addition and then set timer again and go and do something else around the place - 5 minutes
6. Backwards and forwards during the last 60 minutes of the boil, still doing other jobs - 10 minutes
7. Transfere to No Chill cube - 15 minutes
8. Clean up - 30 minutes -
9. All finished by 9:30am with a full Saturday left to do other things

So i basically only spend about 2 hours total out in the shed making beer.

Rook

I've been doing double brew days - takes me about 6 hours start to finish

I basically mash the second batch will the first is boiling - reduces time setting everything up and cleaning

It's pretty busy at the beginning but by the time of the second flameout everything is pretty much put away bar the kettle & burner

Cheers

what is this "5:30am" ?

Troydo,

I like to get it over and done with early, that way i don't loose a day. I generally wake up around that time anyway :lol:

Rook

I don't race to get it done, I enjoy it.
1 hour for the water to get up to strike
1 hour mash
1/2 hour sparge
1.5 hours of boiling (total)
1/2 to chill
1/2 clean up.

Not sure I would want to do it much faster than that?

Steve

I've been doing double brew days - takes me about 6 hours start to finish

My kettle is my HLT, so I can't mash while I boil, but the best thing I did for my double brew days was get a plate chiller. Not only can you chill to pitching temp in 5 minutes flat, you get 25L of water at close to strike temperature out of it!

Still, I wouldn't be doing AG the way I am if I cared about time or money. It takes a lot of brews to amortise the cost of a decent rig, and the whole time thing wouldn't make it worthwhile if you didn't want to do it.

I have no idea how much it's cost me to make any batch of beer I've ever made. Costs don't drive me at all.

The last brew I did was a Belgian. It cost me a total of $26.53. The last time I went to the Belgian beer cafe a glass cost around $7. assuming the glass is 330 ml then the current fermenter is worth about $385.00 -- so if I deduct $26.53 I have saved $358.47 if I chose to drink genuine bottled Belgian beer. I value my time very highly but the brewing process is a wonderful relaxation and even if i placed a dollar value on the 3.5 - 4 hours for an all grain brew day of say $200 I am still $158.47 in front.

If someone is only concerned about cost saving then there is always someway to save a dollar. Like most AG brewers the process and the beer go hand in hand for me.

I first started home brewing back in the late 1980's or so while Coopers stubbies still had ring pulls and Bondy had just bough Tooheys. I thought I would save money then, but quickly realised that its not the money that mattered - the kick was drinking something good that you made yourself.

Sense of accomplishment -- priceless.

20 some years later, back at it, enjoying the learning curve (again)

grant

Work asked me to brew a batch of beer a while back for a function.... they gave me 2 weeks noitice and all my firmenters were just filled so i had to say no but i worked upi the cost....... about $0.55 a schooner.

But as said before....... if it cost me $3.00 a schooner i would still do it because the beer is better and i enjoy making it.

time brewing?........... i love spending the day in the garage puttering around, smelling the smells, tasting the tastes and working on making more room in a keg for the next batch!

cheers

Thanks all. Unfortuantely finance plays a part in most decisions I have to make however my passion for brewing is still not altered. By considering cost, I am not for a minute saying that I would ditch the idea of AG brewing (based on cost) but cost needs to be considered. This also doesn't mean to start choosing the cheepest ingredients and sacrifice quality. I could never justify that.

Time brewing (and labour) however I have never put a price on. I don't go fishing and say i spent 8 hrs and @ $40 an hr the day was worth $320. The hobby is using that time to do stuff you love. In my opinion time doing a hobby should never have a price.

I am in total agreeance with you Tony. The smells, the science, the art and kicking back to a few ales that you know you made is what does it for me.

The question wasn't asked to decide if I wanted to go AG, but mearly to understand the cost difference (if any), to going AG.

Anyhow it good to see so many passionate brewers.
Thanks all
Cheers

Not that I've done my first AG batch yet (next weekend can't come soon enough), however I have been looking at the costs (and savings) to be made via AGB as the cost for my AG setup continues to climb over $1500. I've worked out the recipe that I'm looking at making first is about $1.20/L (not including consumables like gas, power, etc). I have heard some people say they can get down around $0.40/L but I'm not sure how as of yet.

Certainly the idea for me to go down the AGB route is to brew better beer however knowing it's also $4-$5 per litre cheaper than commercial beer and about $2/L cheaper than the brew on-premises places is nice to know.

Not that I've done my first AG batch yet (next weekend can't come soon enough), however I have been looking at the costs (and savings) to be made via AGB as the cost for my AG setup continues to climb over $1500.

$1500.... :eek:

My whole AG setup cost less than $200...18mnths-2yrs ago and it still goes strong...and it is legal...

I've posted a couple of times on this before, but i reckon you can make pretty good AG beer for less than $15 for a 23L batch, ie. on par with K&K brewing for a much better result.

How you ask?

- Reuse yeast, even dry yeast can be repitched, split into starters, shared with mates, stored in vials, etc. If you re-use a packet of us05 even 3 times you have got down to less than $1.50 per brew for yeast
- Bulk buy your grain. A simple 1042 OG recipe, which is the normal OG for a kit and kilo brew, at a decent AG efficiency which is not too hard to hit of 80% will require about 4kg of grain or so. Buying off the 1kg prices at your LBS isn't a great start at normally about $4 to $6 a kilo for basemalt, but bulk buying means about $2.50 per KG of local base malt, buy some specialty malt somewhere cheap (like online) and that is about $4 to $6 for the specialty malt. A little bit of specialty goes a long way.
- Bulk buy hops (ie 450g+) and use sparingly - don't bother using heaps of low alpha hops to bitter your beers, just get a smallish amount of high-alpha clean hops (Magnum, Simcoe, B Saaz, Super Alpha), bitter with that and then use your low alphas for 30m to flameout/FWH/late hop/dry hop only. Still works fine. Of course there are going to be some examples where you will want to bitter with the real thing (Boh Pils, Altbier and a couple of other styles benefit IMHO) but most beers don't need it.
- Take a page out of the K&K book and use some sugar as part of the fermentables. Sugar is a lot cheaper than malt at getting your OG up, and will not cause an issue with "cidery flavours" at less than 15% of the grist in my experience. Malt, even at 80% efficiency or so, contributes 64% of its own weight as extract potential (roughly 80% lab spec extract multiplied by 80% brewhouse efficiency = .64) whereas Sugar contributes 100%. Sugar costs $0.80c per kilo in the 3kg packs from the supermarket, malt costs about $2.50 per kilo at its cheapest (and factor in the extract potential and you are paying about $4 per equivalent measure of sugar).

Putting all this together, you can make a simple "house ale/lager" that should keep everyone including yourself happy and will cost bugger all to make. You can just keep going on a recipe like this - every time you make it, save some yeast from the bottom in a bottle and repitch up to 5 times, or just dump it on the yeast cake. Something like

3kg Aussie Pilsner/Ale malt
0.2kg light crystal malt
0.5kg Cane sugar

Mashed at 68C (little high to compensate slightly for the sugar, you could also use a bit of carapils, <150g)

Hops - Super Alpha/Magnum/Simcoe 13% AA, about 8g at 60m to give 15IBU
Finishing hops - whatever you like, about 0.5 to 2g/L at 5m only gives a nice balance of flavour/aroma

Ferment with dry yeast (us05/s33/k97 for ale and s-189 or 34/70 for lager), or reuse/culture/swap/whatever some liquid yeast

Total cost would be about $7 or 8 for the malt, 40c for the sugar, about $0.60 for the bittering hops and $2 for the finishing hops. Add on $1.50 for dry yeast reused 3 times and you're up to $11.50. Add in some cost for sanitiser, gas/electricity cost and you're at about $15.

I reckon most of the time i brew a batch it'd be under $20...

bulk buying means about $2.50 per KG of local base malt, buy some specialty malt somewhere cheap (like online) and that is about $4 to $6 for the specialty malt.

Or only $1.72/kg in our last bulk buy. :lol: And $2.66 for Bairds crystal. :D

Absolutely right about the cheapness of AG if you work at it. That said, when I plan a recipe I don't skim on ingredients based on price. But then you are getting more interesting beers for still a cut price rate. I made 35L of 1086 tripel this week for less than $40 all in. B)

Here's the price list from my malt supplier: View attachment WM_Brochure_2007.xls All prices are for either 25kg or 50lb bags (depending if they came from Canada/Europe or the states).

All things considered, including propane and electricity, an ordinary strength (1.050 - 1.060 OG) 10 gallon batch costs me approximately $20 CDN, which is about $21 AUS at the current exchange rate. Buy bulk grains whereever possible and reuse your yeast at least 3x. Like the old Kool-Aid commercials used to say, "it's only pennies a glass." ;)

Latest posts

Back