Coopers ... Why Bother?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Coopers Sparkling clone (Thanks to AndrewQLD for recipe) doesn't get rolled

B)
coopers_sparkling_clone__Large_.jpg

Exactly ... stir up a CPA and that what you get ... :p

PS: So we're stll debating ... which Dani Divito movie is your sig from?

Cheers

ghhb and his better half :super:

Few too many tonight buddy? ;)

edit : Very nice looking beer Bribie!!

I remember my first JSGA ... draft at a Brisbane bar on the river about 3 years ago ... it was revelation ... a realy explosion for the senses ... got me into home brewing ... but I was flying back from Canberra last month on Qantas and they offered me a choice of VB or JSGA ... I took the Squires in a can ... couldn't even finish it!

What has happened to all those great Aussie beers we used to buy? Are we so conditioned to our own brews that we've lost the taste for commercial beer? Even 'boutique' beers? Ian Watson once told me he was wary of two types of home brewers ... those who never drank their own beer and those who only drank their own beers.

But these days I feel that all of my old favorite commercial brews ... especially the Aussie ones ... are not what they used to be. :(

I seem to recall that JSGA was discussed in a thread recently and someone emailed the brewery. IIRC they are using much less amarillo than previously and this has affected the beer.

they seem to start out well and you can drink them, then the cut costs and they sink into the main stream swill.

Boags prem comes to mind - mind you i was a youngin and liked it when it first came out, these days i wont even bother

my friend who was a VB head! i mean he loved that stuff and no one could ever tell him otherwise. Over the year i have shown him home brewing, now he wont ever brew because he just doesnt understand how it works etc but he rates my home brew above beers like JSGA LCPA and fat yak (yes he likes cascade style beers)

to convert such a VB lover was the peak of my year, and he turns up with a 6 pak of good german or other beer and leaves it in the fridge while he drinks mine. Even brings some beers over and asks if we can copy it ( fat yack was the last brew) never seen a guy drink like that before!

home brew - gotta love it!

he turns up with a 6 pak of good german or other beer and leaves it in the fridge while he drinks mine.

Don't want to skite but ... at our 2008 Oktoberfest we had a G.E.N.U.I.N.E German Uni student rollup with a bottle of Becks ... said he would stay for one drink and ended up staying for hours, begged me to rent the brewery as a place to live, and left me with his cherished possession ... a 1 litre Bavarian Beer Boot ... 'Das Boot"' ... complete with Bavarian chequered flag logo etc. You're right ... Home Brew Rules! :excl:

Hi I'm ghhb's wife ... there was no pandering required :wub: , it was shit ... bottom line ..... sorry ... :rolleyes:

Ooops,

perhaps i uncovered another agenda, sorry.

How is his Asahi?

cheers

darren

I seem to recall that JSGA was discussed in a thread recently and someone emailed the brewery. IIRC they are using much less amarillo than previously and this has affected the beer.

It seems odd to me that people are reporting these wild swings in their taste perceptions as a decline in the beer. Perhaps the taste was affected by other things that had been eaten? I mean it's pretty rich to say "I once had a beer and liked it then I had one that tasted different to my recollection (which may be flawed) thus the entire brewery is to be condemned".

Im sure you make very good homebrew and that whay you do it, But Coopers/Coopers Pale is one of the very best Australian made comercial beers! you cant deny that!

I don't really like Coopers except for the Extra Stout. That's just my 2c. I know it's independent and all that but to me it's just family owned Australian mega swill. Would drink it before Tooheys New etc though.

still waiting to hear what was wrong with it apart from it was "crap"?

still waiting to hear what was wrong with it apart from it was "crap"?

+1 on that one.

Bottle conditioned beers in general don't travel well. If they are treated poorly (left in the sun etc) it's even worse. Rolling the bottle really shouldn't be done, Coopers encourages it to feel 'special' and hoity toity.

That said, I prefer it on tap than from the bottle.

+1 on that one.

Bottle conditioned beers in general don't travel well. If they are treated poorly (left in the sun etc) it's even worse. Rolling the bottle really shouldn't be done, Coopers encourages it to feel 'special' and hoity toity.

That said, I prefer it on tap than from the bottle.

+2

Seriously, there are sooooo many variables in drinking a CPA from an establishment of dubious reputation that you may as well take your chances with whatever "Iso-hopped-to-extinction" mega-swill beer you care to mention that is on tap over a poorly kept Coopers bottled product.

I always just pour the top portion off an un-rolled bottle of CPA/CSA and drink the beer that way. drinking said beers off the tap helps the cause as the yeast sediment isn't suspended in the beer and it tastes better IMHO (as does 99.5% of beer). But I wouldn't roll-then-pour (and I grew up just outside of Adelaide before someone calls me a heretic!) - drink the beer for what it is worth and leave the yeasty dregs for the gods...

My 2c on Xmas Eve...

PS - Merry Xmas to all AHB members, both near and dear and otherwise :icon_cheers:

GG

B)
View attachment 34146

Lovely looking Sparkling there BribieG

CPA & CSA are always my pick up against VB and the like, they do seem to suffer when handled poorly though, but to stay its shit and why bother? is a bit of a harsh generalisation. I've had the odd bad one, but in the arena of mass produced beer and given its vulnerable its going to happen.

Would drink it any day ahead of an Asahi thats for sure!

Cheers and Merry Christmas all,
BB

B)
View attachment 34146

Don't believe a sparkling should be rolled Bribie?? CPA, well now then, that is one I do like rolled, the offer should be made by the person serving, and it should be up to the drinkers preference. The yeast is such a part of the style, with or without, it's up to the drinker.

Fresh it's always great, sorry ghhb (does that stand for Grevious Harm to Heavenly Bodies?) looks like you were served a sus bottle, shoulda sent it back.

Cheers Screwy

shit a brick!! except for a couple of practical suggestions this is a shit thread. Some of you munters need some loving and less farrking computer time.

I tried the coopers lager for the first time on tap last week. I have to say I did enjoy it, clean quenching refreshing with a distinctly coopers flavour. Yesterday I also tried the coopers pilsner from a bottle - I can't say the same for this one, as far as pilsners go it was a bit ordinary, didn't get much distinctive hops on aroma or flavour, and was pretty low on much flavor of anything for me.

Latest posts

Back