Coopers ... Why Bother?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhansford

Reaction score
I finished work at 12:30pm today and when my wife came into town to pick me up we decided to stay and have lunch at a pub in town. When it came to our first beers I ordered a Asahi on tap and she ordered a Coopers Pale Ale, one of our favorite beers pre-home brewing days. I waited with baited breath as she took her first sip from the freshly rolled stubbie ... her response ... 'aaaaugh this is shit!". Why would anyone ever want to clone this beer or propagate this yeast?

I finished work at 12:30pm today and when my wife came into town to pick me up we decided to stay and have lunch at a pub in town. When it came to our first beers I ordered a Asahi on tap and she ordered a Coopers Pale Ale, one of our favorite beers pre-home brewing days. I waited with baited breath as she took her first sip from the freshly rolled stubbie ... her response ... 'aaaaugh this is shit!". Why would anyone ever want to clone this beer or propagate this yeast?

Presumably you make a great Asahi? She is probably just pandering to your male-insecurity ;)

cheers

Darren

Well, before you bag it, consider the following:

-It's a live product
-It's gone from SA to Toowoomba
-How has it been stored?
-How long has it been stored there?

What was exactly wrong with it? What did it taste like?

Presumably you make a great Asahi? She is probably just pandering to your male-insecurity ;)

cheers

Darren

Hi I'm ghhb's wife ... there was no pandering required :wub: , it was shit ... bottom line ..... sorry ... :rolleyes:

-It's a live product
-How has it been stored?

While working away I have had the Coopers Pale on tap at a pub in Rocky. It has been overcarbed and served in a headmaster glass which made the carbonation bubbles actually swirl and whilst the locals thought it looked great the beer was too cold, overcarbonated and pretty much tasteless. Which is totally different to the last time i was in adelaide and had the sparkling, Pale and stout all on tap and all were tops even if the don't know the size of a schooner or pint :D .

cheers Brad

Thats even after I bought a Stubbie of it into your house... :eek: I must have pushed you over the edge?? :p

But its still a Commercial beer, forget the "roll" I say and pour it into glass and only introduce as much or as little yeast as you want.... pouring all the yeast in will have a different effect on the Beer....

Is it Friday night drinks tonight at "The Bar"???? :party:

CB

I know where you're coming from. I was raised on Coopers and used to swear it was the best beer in the world but homebrewing as turned me into a hop head. I had a dark ale the other day and could hardly drink it. It was as weak as dirty dish water. I used to rave about sparkling and bought a carton (slab) this week and it was a bit "meh". Just an opinion...

Hi I'm ghhb's wife ... there was no pandering required :wub: , it was shit ... bottom line ..... sorry ... :rolleyes:

That description of how the beer was not good was shit ... bottom line ..... sorry ... :rolleyes:

Thats even after I bought a Stubbie of it into your house... :eek: I must have pushed you over the edge?? :p

But its still a Commercial beer, forget the "roll" I say and pour it into glass and only introduce as much or as little yeast as you want.... pouring all the yeast in will have a different effect on the Beer....

Is it Friday night drinks tonight at "The Bar"???? :party:

CB

Yep ... we've finished the London Ale III but we're well into the Simply Simcoe Pale Ale and loving it ... are you in Toowoomba? If so ... see you soon.

Yep ... we've finished the London Ale III but we're well into the Simply Simcoe Pale Ale and loving it ... are you in Toowoomba? If so ... see you soon.

Noice, id love to be in Toowoomba and I would love to come over if I was there.... :(

CB

-It's a live product
-How has it been stored?

I am not bagging it ... what I am saying is the truth ... it was acidy, very harsh and I guess if you haven't had ghhb's brew it would be good .. . guess I'm spoiled :p

angryhousewife.jpg

:lol: Get back to the kitchen and describe me some dinner.

Are you saying I don't know my beers ...? I have enough beer drinking experience to know the difference ... sorry, but I can do both ... beer IN the kitchen ... I guess I am ambidextrous :D . Just because I am a woman!

ghhb's beer lovin' wife ...

I am not bagging it ... what I am saying is the truth ... it was acidy, very harsh

There we go. These are two characters that CPA definitely is not (in a fresh, well kept bottle).

Your beer was likely mishandled somewhere along the supply chain.

It now appears you are just trying to stir up shit, so happy holidays.

When buying commercial beers (ie caught out heading to a mates place with no notice on my way home from work) I often buy a slab of coopers sparkling. Every now and then I will pick up a slab that I almost have to force myself to drink. I would be willing to bet that somewhere along the way its been mistreated. I would (almost) be willing to bet my left nut on the fact that somewhere along the way the beer you recieved was poorly handled rather than actually being a bad beer. Also the fact that the beer was rolled suggests it was consumed at a wanker bar (and probably drank straight from the stubbie not poured into a glass). Dont roll my frigging beer.

There we go. These are two characters that CPA definitely is not (in a fresh, well kept bottle).

Your beer was likely mishandled somewhere along the supply chain.

It now appears you are just trying to stir up shit, so happy holidays.

Exactly ... stir up a CPA and that what you get ... :p

PS: So we're stll debating ... which Dani Divito movie is your sig from?

Cheers

ghhb and his better half :super:

i tend to like a CPA (when there is only VB and other sick on tap)

However i have had average beers now and then, but the worst was a JS golden ale - i could not drink it...... and i can drink almost anything - i told the bar guy it was wrong and the bar geezer told me i must not be used to fresh beer as it was perfect. My mate amd myself left both pots on the bar and left - horrid

I get mad when we pay top $ for a beer, and when they know nothing about beer i ask why are we paying so much.

But the worst was a JS golden ale - i could not drink it ...

I remember my first JSGA ... draft at a Brisbane bar on the river about 3 years ago ... it was revelation ... a realy explosion for the senses ... got me into home brewing ... but I was flying back from Canberra last month on Qantas and they offered me a choice of VB or JSGA ... I took the Squires in a can ... couldn't even finish it!

What has happened to all those great Aussie beers we used to buy? Are we so conditioned to our own brews that we've lost the taste for commercial beer? Even 'boutique' beers? Ian Watson once told me he was wary of two types of home brewers ... those who never drank their own beer and those who only drank their own beers.

But these days I feel that all of my old favorite commercial brews ... especially the Aussie ones ... are not what they used to be. :(

Latest posts

Back