FYI: Dan Murphy's Coopers Discovery Workshops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick the Knife

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Not sure if this was the best area to post this but suffice to say Mods please feel free to move if I've guffed up. As a member of the 'My Dan Murphy's' marketing thingo I noticed that they've just put tickets on sale for a Coopers Discovery Workshop, which they're running at most of their stores around Oz from 21-25JAN16.

Details as listed by them is as follows:

Coopers Discovery Workshop
One of Australia's favourite brewers, Coopers sensational line-up of beers has been quenching thirsts since 1862. And now that it's high summer, there's no better time to get to know a few new favourites — along with the Dan Murphy's experts, of course!
Here's a taste of what's to come:

• Coopers 62 Pilsner
  • Coopers Pale Ale
  • Coopers Mild Ale
  • Coopers Celebration Ale
  • Coopers Sparkling Ale
  • Coopers Dark Ale
  • Coopers Extra Stout
  • Coopers Artisan Reserve
Spaces are limited, so make sure you book early but please note, Tickets will go live for sale on Monday 28th December 2015. We look forward to seeing you there!
Where: Dan Murphy's stores

When: Thursday 21 January — Monday 25 January (store dates vary)

Time: Times vary per store

Cost: Pre-order a $20 Dan Murphy's gift card. It's available for collection on arrival and redeemable on any purchase in-store or online.
I'm a complete HB newb (first brew 3 days in the primary as I write) so handy for me to get a lil more info on albeit pretty mainstream commercial styles but might be a bit lowbrow or passe for others.

FWIW I've been to several of DM's workshops and they're generally excellent......$20 fee to attend but you also get a $20 gift card for attending so thats more a tactic to ensure only folks that want to attend register. Usually a very generous bag of freebies plus they tend to open up a bunch of other stuff for you to sample on the night.

You'll have to register as a member of My Dan Murphy's to attend but its pretty pain free.

Cheers, Nick

I reckon anything that gets VB or Corona punters to try a range of different beers is a good thing, especially when they are made by the only substantial brewer in Australia that's not the foreign owned duopoly.

They might not set the world alight but, given the choice between a Stone and Wood, a Murrays or a Coopers Sparkling Ale (red, not green) on tap at my "local" at Nimbin I go the Coopers every time.

How many drinks do you get for your $20 I wonder, and out of interest how do they manage the licencing thing for in store drinking and serving? For example I haven't noticed any toilet or hand washing facilities at Dans.

Yob said:
wow I can BUY a ticket to drink average beers?

What a world!

do you work for Dans or Coopers?

uncalled.jpg

I am going to check my Dan's. You pretty much get free beer. And I dont know about you guys but when your offered a night of free Coopers its hard to knock back :chug:

It's hard to go past Coopers green for a good Aussie pale ale. It's a totally reliable, consistent pale ale. And I love Coopers Sparkling. Average beers? I totally disagree. Coopers make great beers.

I agree with the Coopers praise.

I still buy cartons of Coopers. I used to be a big Sparkling Ale fan (started drinking it 25ish years ago, when I was 18 or so), now I buy the Stout for a tasty drop and the Pale for an easy drinking, tasty, "mid strength" beer (and to culture the yeast from). It has taken me a while to get into the Pale Ale but I reckon a good one has a very nice, subtle ester profile and is nice and refreshing.

Coopers is an Aussie icon and deservedly so.

Even if you only got 1/2 a stubby of all there beers, you would walk out on the wrong side of sober

I reckon it would be interesting to see what info they can give on the range and yeast etc. and how thier brewing knowledge stacks up.

Yob said:
wow I can BUY a ticket to drink average beers?

What a world!

do you work for Dans or Coopers?
Come on, guy.... lighten up.

Has something else activated your sarcasm response?

I like the Cooper's range of beer, and respect the quality of their beer, if not always the quality of DM's storage of them.
I actually wrote to Cooper's about the lack of character in their beer, purchased locally, and I was advised to buy a box to get the flavours fresher. Was the last box of Cooper's I have purchased (and the last time I asked them for advice too), and that was a large number of years ago. Can only put it down to the quality of storage...

This does sound like a fair tasting and a fair price overall.

Les the Weizguy said:
Has something else activated your sarcasm response?
Coopers in general doesnt please me, though I appreciate that they have got a LOT of people into homebrew which I can respect.

TBH I dont mind their stout but I wouldnt give most of the rest of them a look in on a hot day.

I agree, I probably came over a bit harsh and will do as old mum advised in these situations...

...and by the way.. clear out some space for messages man!!

Back