Coopers selling full kit & bits recipe packs with free postage.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered 6 cans of malt off of the coopers website. With free postage and my member of the Order discount it came to $59 for a total of 9kg of malt, good value IMHO.

menoetes said:
I just ordered 6 cans of malt off of the coopers website. With free postage and my member of the Order discount it came to $59 for a total of 9kg of malt, good value IMHO.
I ordered 6 hopped tins and 4 tins of malt last Friday. 16.2kg worth according to my abacus.

I'd been pondering whether to do a big buy while they had a $15 flat rate on shipping, when that turned to free shipping I was sold.

Set for a while now, the only problem is I'm almost out of empty bottles and have two brews on the go at the moment!

Coopers seem to do free shipping every couple of months or so as long as you spend $50.00. Four or five cans with free shipping and 10% member discount is a winner.

Just looking over the Steam beer recipe again. Hmmm, it's interesting that it uses S-23 lager yeast (2 packs no less) but instructs to pitch and brew @ 18'c.

I don't understand, aren't lager yeasts optimal around 10 - 12'c? I checked the yeast profile of S-23 and it says the range is 9 - 15'c. Maybe that's why they give you two packs, as the yeast is going to struggle.

menoetes said:
Just looking over the Steam beer recipe again. Hmmm, it's interesting that it uses S-23 lager yeast (2 packs no less) but instructs to pitch and brew @ 18'c.

I don't understand, aren't lager yeasts optimal around 10 - 12'c? I checked the yeast profile of S-23 and it says the range is 9 - 15'c. Maybe that's why they give you two packs, as the yeast is going to struggle.
That is because it's a steam beer. The style is a larger yeast brewed at ale temperatures.

Ah, fair enough and thanks for the info bbutlerau.

I've also just ordered another 4 cans of malt off of the Coopers website, incuding the 6 cans already ordered, that's my next 5 extract beers set as far as malt is concerned. You gotta love that free shipping.

So I sampled my first stubby of "Caribbean Siesta" last night after only 2 weeks of bottle conditioning at 20°. Pretty happy with the outcome even though I'm not really a big fan of light flavored beers but it will do the job as a summer session beer.

I deviated from the recipe slightly, adding the remaining hops at the end of the boil instead of as a dry hop addition, which probably accounts for the lack of notable hop aroma, and I bulk primed (my first attempt, which was exciting) with turbinado sugar instead of whatever the priming drops are.

Despite the short conditioning time, I noted that the head (even though small), was made up of quite compact bubbles. I don't know if this is down to it being an "all malt" recipe, my previous two batches of brew have used adjuncts or "brew booster" type sugar and definitely didn't have such compact heads even after much longer conditioning.

So I've now made room in the fermentation fridge for my "Steam Beer" which I will be putting down tomorrow, already have my specialty grains steeping in the fridge as per the coopers method... Looking forward to it!

I noticed the same with mine Blackbeard. Very compact bubbles, head disappears really quickly for me also.

My latest coopers order got delivered this morning, on a Saturday! So I'll be doing my chubby cherub tomorrow I'd imagine.

First post here, just done the steam ale kit for my second brew. Bubbling away atm should be interesting how it turns out still learning it all. Pitched a bit warm at 25deg but that was as low as I could get the fv with the chilled water I had. In the temp controlled fridge at 16deg fv temp 18deg hope the warm pitch doesn't hurt it to much

Dread82 said:
First post here, just done the steam ale kit for my second brew. Bubbling away atm should be interesting how it turns out still learning it all. Pitched a bit warm at 25deg but that was as low as I could get the fv with the chilled water I had. In the temp controlled fridge at 16deg fv temp 18deg hope the warm pitch doesn't hurt it to much
Hey Dread, if it is bubbling away as you said, and you have the fv at 18° now then I wouldn't worry too much.

I actually just put down my steam beer and I had to pitch at 24° for the same reason. I had rehydrated the yeast and added some wort from the fv to my yeast and let it sit for about 5 mins before pitching so hopefully there wasn't too much temperature shock.

Just a comment on the 24hr cold steep method described in this recipe, I followed the technique for this batch but have previously steeped specialty grains in warm/hot water for 30 mins on previous brews. I tasted the "grain tea" for this recipe and there was no notable sweetness to it, which I have noticed when steeping in hot water.

Are you fella's aware that you can buy DRY MALT EXTRACT and it works out cheaper than tins of goo. A lot of people commonly use a tine of goo and a kilo of dry malt extract as well. 1 kilo of dry malt is equivalent to 1.5 kilo of goo.
And no the DME is different to a box of brew enhancer.

Cube said:
what is a fellas?
Peeps.

Actually the figure on DME to liquid malt ratio is 1.25 - 1.5 kilo of liquid malt to 1 kilo of dry. I tend to be an optimist.

Arr yes i get it now. "Hey, you fellas lost the RLWC last night because you played like a bunch of boobs"

Thanks.

Some of us fells don't have an LHBS that sells Wheat DME so buying a can of "goo" at a discount with free delivery can be rather appealing.
K?

Some of us fells don't have an LHBS that sells Wheat DME so buying a can of "goo" at a discount with free delivery can be rather appealing.
K?
Yep I live in lovely Port Hedland WA, all we get is K mart basic coopers kits and brew enhancers so have made the most of the coopers free shipping don't have the luxury of a short drive to a lhbs

In S.A. Coles tends to be the cheapest for Coopers goo cans.

In S.A. Coles tends to be the cheapest for Coopers goo cans.
both coles and woolworths here don't sell it probly cos we are in the middle of no where, so makedo withwhat we can get, I'm smashing a few longnecks from my very first brew as we speak so I'm in love with my new hobby!!!

Latest posts

Back