Cooper's Clear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only lo carb beer that has not made me want to cry is cascade green which I had last night while fairly tanked at an exhibition opening (and it was provided free). That said I reckon pure blonde would still have made me want to stab myself with the pate fork under the same circumstances.

disclaimer: There was no pate.

I've drunk Cascade Green on multiple occasions in WA, I always found it quite palatable.

My main reason for posting is, of course, because I tried a Coopers Clear on the weekend. It was quite palatable and I would happily drink another one. Yes of course it was low on body and flavour, but that is obviously the intent of the beer. It was certainly less offensive than a lot of its competitors (and also Pils 62 which was a canned-corn-bomb the only 2 times I've tried it).

I purchased a case of this Tripe (Coopers Clear) and it has to be IMHO one of the worst beers I have ever had.This beer presents with absolutely no flavour and body leaves you thinking you have just had soda water, what the hell were they thinking.

Not Happy will voice my concerns with them over a phone call I think

Franko

I would love to be the Marketing Manager responsible here ....

This beer presents with absolutely no flavour and body leaves you thinking you have just had soda water, what the hell were they thinking.

They were thinking:
"The low carb market is huge at the moment and we're missing out on the profits."

And the response you will get from Coopers would probably be:
"That's the type of beer we were aiming for. Thank you for your feedback, and if you want a beer with some flavour, try our ales."

It's what they've already said. They wanted to make a beer that has mass market appeal in the hopes people will cross over to their ale range

They were thinking:
"The low carb market is huge at the moment and we're missing out on the profits."

And the response you will get from Coopers would probably be:
"That's the type of beer we were aiming for. Thank you for your feedback, and if you want a beer with some flavour, try our ales."

They should have used there canadian blonde beer kit with brew enhancer 1 they would have got more flavour.

seriously I've had my share of low carb beers but this thing wont be profiting

I love the Marketing Junkie aspect here. I went to my local independent bottlo yesterday and there was 2 fridges of sav blanc and 1 shelf of cardonay. Go back 4 years and wonder which product is in trouble ... ??? The slippery slope of 'whats new, whats best to grab the consumer' from a Marketing Manager. Maybe just make it simple ... ey ...

They should have used there canadian blonde beer kit with brew enhancer 1 they would have got more flavour.

seriously I've had my share of low carb beers but this thing wont be profiting

It's selling like hotcakes over here in SA according to bottleshop friends. Not sure whether it's because it's SA-brewed or if people are preferring it over the other low-carb options.

Who exactly is making the marketing decisions at Coopers these days? First Pilsner 62 which was embarassingly bad, and now a weak as piss low carb beer! I have tried both and was sorely disappointed.

They seem to be very much behind the 8 ball - low carbs beers are so 5 years ago. What's next? Coopers Radler? Coopers Shandy? Someone should be sacked! lol

Long live Coopers Sparkling and Coopers Pale :beerbang:

It's selling like hotcakes over here in SA according to bottleshop friends. Not sure whether it's because it's SA-brewed or if people are preferring it over the other low-carb options.

It could be because they're trying out the latest bland beer

I would love to see Coopers release a new sort of beer maybe every 6 to 18 months for limited time, like a porter in winter, then a summer ale in summer, to appeal to craft brewing fans. Would also keep their brewers amused :)

There was a link to an interview on the other page, and there was talk of releasing a summer ale once a year.

I Was in a pub the other week and the head bar man hadnt tried it and gave me one to try. One taste and asked for a slice of lemon as it need some sort of flavour. Suddenly it took off everyone buying it with a slice of lemon.

So it appeals to those that like a slice of something in a beer. Did find that girls liked it, seems to go well with the crowd that loves to be seen drinking a beer yet dont like beer or know any better.

Im just glad i didnt pay to try it....

I purchased a case of this Tripe (Coopers Clear) and it has to be IMHO one of the worst beers I have ever had.This beer presents with absolutely no flavour and body leaves you thinking you have just had soda water, what the hell were they thinking.

Not Happy will voice my concerns with them over a phone call I think

Franko

Will be interested to hear their response to your phone call... although I can guess the general 'jist' of what they will say!
I hope they scrap these beers down the track soon and make some serious beers for the true coopers fans, and people who actually like beer rather than just thinking they do.

Im a young person and like my boutique brews, but the majority of young drinkers need to learn what real beer tastes like and stop being pandered too with watery alcohol labeled as beer.
I doubt this beer is going to encourage younger drinkers to try coopers ales, but rather reinforce the 'easy drinking' culture of today with yet another tasteless, overpriced drink.

If Coopers want to make a beer for the "TED"s kiddies thats fine with me as long as they keep making their good stuff. Why not give them a locally owned and produced option to all the other Blonde, Raw, Dry and Super Dry Lo-carb blandey beers?

If Coopers want to make a beer for the "TED"s kiddies thats fine with me as long as they keep making their good stuff. Why not give them a locally owned and produced option to all the other Blonde, Raw, Dry and Super Dry Lo-carb blandey beers?

I agree they should be at least marketing the beer as a local, True Australian, Family Owned beer... for all those people who think Tooheys and VB are true Aussie Icons.

Will be interested to hear their response to your phone call... although I can guess the general 'jist' of what they will say!
I hope they scrap these beers down the track soon and make some serious beers for the true coopers fans, and people who actually like beer rather than just thinking they do.

Im a young person and like my boutique brews, but the majority of young drinkers need to learn what real beer tastes like and stop being pandered too with watery alcohol labeled as beer.
I doubt this beer is going to encourage younger drinkers to try coopers ales, but rather reinforce the 'easy drinking' culture of today with yet another tasteless, overpriced drink.

Well I just got off the phone to one of Coopers Customer feedback representatives, I told him how I had some feedback on there new brew Coopers Clear.
I found it weird that when I mentioned feedback on Coopers Clear how his voice sort of dulled off like he heard this many times before.
I explained to the representative that I purchased a case of this dribble and found it to be a beer that had no flavour and was very bland ,He basically told me how they cant get people to drink ale and this was the direction they were heading in to supply the market of non Ale drinkers.
He advised me to leave the beer in the fridge for when someone comes over that likes low carb beer,I then advised him that I wouldn't serve such a bland beer like that to one of my mates and we basically ended the conversation there.

All in all I can understand there situation but maybe some marketing dollars should be invested in Good Advertising and getting more people tasting there Ales after all its what coopers is all about not this mass market no flavoured dribble the call Coopers Clear

Franko

I guess we should be happy that they aren't Dulling down the Ales like many good breweries have done over the years to satisfy the mass market appeal and cut costs! That is one good thing!

The other week I thought I'd pick up a six pack of the stuff to give it a try (before I slagged it off).
After drinking five of the things I realised while I hadn't tasted much, I hadn't complained either and was actually quite drunk. I'd much prefer to drink it over a Corona or any other low carb beer - although you wouldn't find me drinking any of them by preference anyway.
After finishing it my friend and I went to the bottle-o to buy more beer. I had the last bottle of Clear in my hand.
"G'day mate, a carton of..."
"Cooper's Clear? We're sold out."
"Uhh, no, Pale Ale thanks..."

Tonight I drank a few off the tap at the Exeter. Again, it's not great but certainly not bad either.

While at the bar I overheard this conversation:
"Hi, I'd like a beer please."
"Sure, what sort of beer would you like?"
"A cheap one."
"OK, Cooper's Clear is on special, and it's happy hour, so a pint is $4."
"Great two please!"

I saw those two blokes return to the bar a few times to buy more. I saw a lot of the stuff being poured tonight...

Conclusion:
If I'm going to buy a carton, it's going to be my usual - a carton of Pale thanks.
Average Joe likes beer. Cooper's Clear is beer, therefore Average Joe like Cooper's Clear. QED motherf***ers.

Latest posts

Back