Cooper's Clear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other week I thought I'd pick up a six pack of the stuff to give it a try (before I slagged it off).
After drinking five of the things I realised while I hadn't tasted much, I hadn't complained either and was actually quite drunk. I'd much prefer to drink it over a Corona or any other low carb beer - although you wouldn't find me drinking any of them by preference anyway.
After finishing it my friend and I went to the bottle-o to buy more beer. I had the last bottle of Clear in my hand.
"G'day mate, a carton of..."
"Cooper's Clear? We're sold out."
"Uhh, no, Pale Ale thanks..."

Tonight I drank a few off the tap at the Exeter. Again, it's not great but certainly not bad either.

While at the bar I overheard this conversation:
"Hi, I'd like a beer please."
"Sure, what sort of beer would you like?"
"A cheap one."
"OK, Cooper's Clear is on special, and it's happy hour, so a pint is $4."
"Great two please!"

I saw those two blokes return to the bar a few times to buy more. I saw a lot of the stuff being poured tonight...

Conclusion:
If I'm going to buy a carton, it's going to be my usual - a carton of Pale thanks.
Average Joe likes beer. Cooper's Clear is beer, therefore Average Joe like Cooper's Clear. QED motherf***ers.

Very, very well said, Pedro. I bought a bottle of this on the weekend, then bought a sixer yesterday. The only genuine complaint I could make is its perhaps slightly sweet & corny, but beyond that I think it is a very well made beer.

And while I'm on the "taste" issue, I have a couple of thoughts. Firstly, most of the other "tasteless" beers on the market are not tasteless to me, they tend to have typical faults in off-flavours or overall balance that stand out like dog's balls in a beer of this style. We all know how difficult it is to hide faults in a bland beer, so well done to Coopers for producing a low-carb lager that's relatively clean and drinkable.

And secondly, if anyone can't taste the difference between beer and fizzy water (I'll avoid mentioning piss) then I'd be genuinely surprised. This stuff still tastes like beer. Bigger and stronger is not always inherently better.

Good posts Pedro and Kai!

Your the only two who did not sound like an 80 year old women at a supermarket complaing cause milk has gone up 2 cents!

And also like the beer or not! Be happy Coopers is keeping all the jobs in Australia!!!

Coopers....100% Australian!

I agrre with the way Cooper is going with the Lager road...Most drinkers wont complain about 62 or Clear, Lager or Light as they are already tuned to XXXX, Tooheys, Carlton etc so it not a big step for them

They have no intention of messing with the Ale range ( Coopers reps words ) as it is their core , plus I think Adelaide would get burnt to the ground if they messed with them..Pale and Mild sell rather well actually on tap, and is almost self marketing. I have noticed releif on many a visitor when they see the Pale tap at the pub

I actually like their Light ...Its a good beer on a stinking hot day, and their lager is not to bad either...

I am rather spoiled at my local having Lager, Light, Mild & Pale on tap... :icon_drool2: , and I think they are talking of putting Clear on as their Low carb tap beer as a tester

Back