Coopers Aussie Pale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My man down the HB shop gave me a 25g packet of Chinookto try in my next brew which is to be an APA.

Can APA and kg BE2 with 400g LDME using I think it will be the Nottingham Yeast, also got a safale us-05 but have heard good things about the Nottingham,

What do I do with this Chinook, how much water? How Hot how long? First time boiler so be gentle... boil and steep or just boil?? :huh:

Cheers!

American PA:

Usually a moderate to high hop flavour, often showing a
citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may
be used). Low to moderately high clean malt character supports the
hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of
specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). The balance is
typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence
can be substantial. Caramel flavours are usually restrained or
absent. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Moderate to high
hop bitterness with a medium to dry finish. Hop flavour and
bitterness often lingers into the finish. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if
used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be
excessive

Australian PA:

Medium to high fruitiness, often pear-like. Supported by
light, bready pale malt flavour. Caramel malt flavours out of style.
Banana ester from high fermentation temperature may be noticed,
but should not dominate. A mild but distinctive peppery,
herbaceous flavour from Pride of Ringwood hops is desirable.
Medium to high bitterness - may be higher in historical versions,
but not crude or harsh. Long dry finish from extremely high
attenuation, with a balanced fruity aftertaste.

An English Ale yeast will get you more in the ballpark than US05 for an Aussie PA.

made this brew today using meg's advice. used goldings as thats about the only english hops my LHBS had(fiddled with american hops enough for now) and i used 50g of them as they are only 4.8%

so i went as follows

can coop APA
1kg BE#2
.8kg carapills
50g goldings
us05

boiled the goldings for 10mins then removed hopsock, cleaned out and added carapils for the half hour steep(5 mins to go) will then romove grain and boil wort for a couple mins to get rid of any unwanteds, pitching hydrated us05 hopfully at around 25 then ferment around 18
smells taisty atm
cheers for help guys

made this brew today...

can coop APA
1kg BE#2
.8kg carapills
50g goldings
us05

Looks like it'll be a nice drop. 800 grams of Caramel Pilsener is a lot! Normally one would use around 200g in an all grain for added head retention. Yours will certainly have a good head but may remain hazy, which doesn't really matter does it. Pitching warm will also add some fruity ester which is to style.

Looks like it'll be a nice drop. 800 grams of Caramel Pilsener is a lot! Normally one would use around 200g in an all grain for added head retention. Yours will certainly have a good head but may remain hazy, which doesn't really matter does it. Pitching warm will also add some fruity ester which is to style.

that was my first thought also. but as explained by megs, carapills are only 3-5 where as others are much higher, this means that with the carapills u can use much more of them. it kinda makes sense when i think about it but i will just have to wait and c how the 23 ltrs of evidence turns out i guess

Back