Toucan Imperial Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredone

Reaction score
ok so ive been toying with the idea of a toucan recipe for a while, and also with an IPA recipe for a bit. so..... y not kill 2 birds with one stone. repcipe is as follows, punched into ianh's spreadsheet

1xtin coopers IPA
1xtin coopers Australian pale ale
1xBE#2
.15kg carafoam
.5kg dex
20g cascade 60min
20g fuggles 60min
10g cascade 15min
10g fuggles 15min
20g cascade 5min
20g fuggles 5min
nottingham
in the spreadsheet this comes up as 7.6%alc in bottle and 80.5 IBU

the WHY....
-as i have said before the coopers pale with be2 is a great beer by itself so i figured it would be a good starting point.
-the carafoam i figure i will need as the high alc content will deminish head quality(i think)
-the fuggles i have seen in a few dif ipa recipes so i figured its a good way to go
-the cascade.... just cause i guess(im open to other suggestions)
-notto, as all those fermentables will need a hard working yeast to chew through them all yeah?

the questions....
-too much/too little carafoam? and will it actually improve head/retention that much?
-hop flavour fades with age in the bottle does it not? if correct what would be the recommended drinking age?(at a guess)

feel free to correct me or add recipe advice
cheers guys

Not sure how cascade and fuggles would work together. Target would work and be in keeping with the style and still give you some citrus (target is my newfound favourite English hop).

Not to say you can't try it though.

@katzke - keep in mind that the tins are pre-bittered.

Not sure how cascade and fuggles would work together. Target would work and be in keeping with the style and still give you some citrus (target is my newfound favourite English hop along).

Not to say you can't try it though.

@katzke - keep in mind that the tins are pre-bittered.

sounds good. will sub cascade for target

I personally wouldn't bother with the 60 min additions, as both cans are pre-bittered with iso-hop. Still, keep the 15min and 5 min additions.

I also don't know whether I'd mix Fuggles and Cascade. I get where you're coming from, brewing something "trans-atlantic", but IMO the Cascade will overwhelm the subtlety of the Fuggles. If you're going an American-style IIPA, go all US hops. Cascade marries real well with Amarillo. If you're going a UK IPA, use Fuggles and EKG.

Again, just my 1.8 cents worth.

I personally wouldn't bother with the 60 min additions, as both cans are pre-bittered with iso-hop. Still, keep the 15min and 5 min additions.

I also don't know whether I'd mix Fuggles and Cascade. I get where you're coming from, brewing something "trans-atlantic", but IMO the Cascade will overwhelm the subtlety of the Fuggles. If you're going an American-style IIPA, go all US hops. Cascade marries real well with Amarillo. If you're going a UK IPA, use Fuggles and EKG.

Again, just my 1.8 cents worth.

cheers mate. wasnt too sure how they would go together. will update hop schedule for 15/5 min additions only of fuggles/target

ill fix u up 1.8 cents sometime :p

I think you have all missed Katze's point.

Imperial IPAs are all about the hops, not just high IBUs but in your face flavour and aroma.

Most IIPA brewers would be adding several grams of hops per litre every 5 or so minutes from 20 mins to flameout.

ok so modded hop scedule looks like this...

1xtin coopers IPA
1xBE#2
.15kg carafoam
.5kg dex
20g target 15min
20g fuggles 15min
30g target 5min
30g fuggles 5min
nottingham
in the spreadsheet this comes up as 7.6%alc in bottle and 78.2 IBU

Not enough hops for an Imperail IPA.

100g of hops plus 75IBU~ from the two tins of hopped extract, i think he is close to the money!

So a theoretical 155IBU @ 7.6% with a BU:GU ratio of approx 2:1. Niiiice! :icon_cheers:

The carafoam wont just add dextrins it will also add a hightened malt flavour. I get a big huskiness and mild sweetness (malt sweetness, not crystal sweetness) from it. I say keep it as is, or up to 200g. In an AG batch i usually use 3-500g or 4-10%, use whatever suits your calculations.

Im tempted to brew myself a hop monster one day soon but sub majority of my 60 min IBUs with ISOhop. Maybe a 10IBU addition @ 60 min, then dump 100g @ 20, 0, whirlpool and 50g dryhop. All the IBU you need with none of the excessive hop matter in the bottom of the kettle!

Imperial IPAs are all about the hops, not just high IBUs but in your face flavour and aroma.

Most IIPA brewers would be adding several grams of hops per litre every 5 or so minutes from 20 mins to flameout.

Easy to miss the way it was put forward.
Not a lot of detail contained within.

However you're probably right - OP needs to look at hopbursting. I've only tried it twice but I recommend the complexity it brings.

thanks doc
lets try again
1xtin coopers IPA
1xBE#2
.2kg carafoam
.5kg dex
10g target 20min
10g fuggles 20min
10g target 15min
10g fuggles 15min
10g target 10min
10g fuggles 10min
10g target 5min
10g fuggles 5min
nottingham
in the spreadsheet this comes up as 7.6%alc in bottle and 77.4 IBU

contemplating mayber a 20g dry hop addition of each as well

oh and also if hops still need to be upped a little i could drop the tin of ipa for an extra tin of pale. that will reduce ibu's a little so i can then up them with latter addition hops

remember you have 75~ IBU from the two tins as well @ 23L batch size.

im not sure i follow. when i put all the info into the spreadsheet at a 10l boil it comes up at 77.4

the pale tin contributes 18.5 of this
and the ipa tin contributes 38.6

im not sure i follow. when i put all the info into the spreadsheet at a 10l boil it comes up at 77.4

the pale tin contributes 18.5 of this
and the ipa tin contributes 38.6

looks like your calc is wrong. here is why.

Coopers use all of their calcuations on their site as the value per KG, NOT their TIN value.

See: http://coopers.com.au/media/61084/brewing_faqs.pdf

E.G. The Pale Ale is written up as 340IBU. * that by 1.7kg and divide by your batch volume, that gives you: 25IBU~

IPA, 710IBU * 1.7 / 23 = 52IBU~

So a total of the two cans is 77IBU.

Ontop of that, add your boil hops. so its well above that.

right
i had no idea.... i thought the spreadsheet might take this into consideration.

but anyways guys hows the recipe looking atm?

notto is a good pick?

and going of what fourstar has said this means that ibu is at about 96

Easy to miss the way it was put forward.
Not a lot of detail contained within.

However you're probably right - OP needs to look at hopbursting. I've only tried it twice but I recommend the complexity it brings.

Glad the point was recognized by DrSmurto.

Basic brewing, hops are used for flavor, aroma, and bittering.

An IPA needs at least a flame out addition. Dry hop or hop tea is also a good idea. The key to a good IPA is the balance of bitterness, Malt, and hop flavor/aroma. This is supposed to be an Imperial IPA so will require more hop at the end to balance the high alcohol and malt profile. If this were not an imperial it would be closer to an ESB then an IPA.

It still needs more hops. Not just in the middle but in the end. If the style you want is an American IPA you need 3 to 4 times more hops and high on the "C" hops. For an English IPA maybe 2 to 3 times more hops. For an Imperial IPA you need to push the hops up there.

Can not help with when or how much to add, as I am not familiar with using hopped extract. In the end brew what you think you like and if it is not as hoppy as expected you can add dry hops or brew it different next time.

Edited because I forgot you were trying for an Imperial IPA.

ok so i just picked up all the ingreadients.

just need a little advice on hop schedule. from what ive picked up so far i want to stick to 30 or less additions and i want to stagger them at 5min intervals. my question is though, do i seperate the hops into: target early(ie 30mins -15mins) and then go the fuggles late(15-0), or should i just go an even mix of each the whole way through the boil? i would also be dry hopping at least some fuggles but would the target go well as dry hopping? or is it purely for bittering?

im will probly stick with the carafoam(this is carapils right?) but i also have some TF pale if someone thinks this might go better.

now to make up the wort boil gravity can i get away with using BE#2? or does it have to be malt?

cheers guys. just going to go put down Neil's centarillo then ill get back to this one this arvo

The usual thinking is to use your higher %AA hops for bittering, and your more refined, and generally lower %AA, hops for flavour/aroma. So yes, use the Target, traditionally a bittering hop, in your early kettle additions, and then follow up with Fuggles. But, hey, brewing is all about experimenting, so why not try the 50/50 mix? Who knows, you might stumble across something great.

Now, second point. Taken this is a twocan thread, I assume you're doing a dump'n'stir along with some steeped specialty malts. In this case, you won't be able to use the "TF pale" malt, as it needs to be mashed in order to convert it's starches into fermentable sugars. You could feasibly "steep" this malt on the stovetop at around 65 degrees for about 60 mins in order to perform the conversion, this is kind of a "partial mash" situation. The carafoam (yup, also known as cara-pils) doesn't add any (real) flavour, but aids body and head retention. Given you're going a twocan, I don't think you're going to need more body.

Thirdly, yup, BE2, a mix of Malt Dextrose and Maltodextrin (IIRC), can be used to bring up the gravity just as easily as using ordinary malt extract. The dextrose will ferment out completely, but the maltodextrose won't ferment, so I guess you would get about the same FG as if you used all malt extract, but a bit less malty taste.

Good luck, and good brewing.

As you know BE2 is half malt with maltodextrine and dextrose. Somewhere here is the exact proportions but it doesn't matter much.

The maltodextrine will help with head retention, but the dextrose is just adding alcohol without flavour.
You are going to a lot of effort with all those wonderful hop additions, why waste some of that effort with dex.
I'd make it all malt and use dme instead. You've got plenty of bitterness in your two cans, so even
a whole can of liquid malt extract would be good.This would also give you something to boil your hops in rather
than boiling some of a kit ( unless that is your aim )

I did a standard IPA last year that was like this:
23 litres 7.3% abv
one can of Morgans IPA kit,
one can of liquid light malt extract
1kg of Caramalt liquid extract
1/2 kg Munich grain mini-mash
1/2 kg Crystal grain mini-mash

Even all this wasn't excessiveley sweet or malty
and I only added 15g of Fuggles as bittering hops.

I won't bore you with the hop schedule because your's is much better
and I'll be borrowing it for my next one.

I watered some of this down to 3.5% abv for bottling and my mother reckons it's the best
mid-alcohol beer she's ever had so I'm pretty pleased with it.

Steep in some light crystal grain as well IMHO, even if you only do 1/4 kg it will improve your beer;
and the smells coming from that wee small amount of wort you get will only encourage you to make better beer.

Latest posts

Back