2 Hour Spargefest!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fitting I used through the wall of the mash tun. Allows easy removal of manifold:

DSC00752.jpg

And finally, another view of the underside of the manifold:

DSC00754.jpg

Ideally i'd like to have avoided those bends with the middle tube, but I was willing to sacrifice this in order to get the ideal number of tubes, as per Palmer's specifications for pipe spacing.

Sammy, you da man! Thanks mate, I shall if I may, make an exact copy of that beautiful manifold.

Cheers,
Jake

This is the nice, bright, clear, fast output that I get while batch sparging with my copper manifold constructed exactly to Palmer's specs:

3114739533_40418a17b7.jpg

Sam

Sam - hows the screen n tube working out. Ive just being investigating get the exact same one. How does it go with pellets? Looks nice. Your manifold is a corker to - twice the size as mine.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. I havent forgotten you still have 5kg light crystal of mine from Chubby. Will call you soon!

I have noticed with the Beerbelly Falsie..That you only have to recirculate until clear. The first couple of times I did the whole batch I got lots of debris. now I just run to clear..also..start slow for the first couple of litres then open up the tap for a bit, but not the to full..about 3/4 does me.
I have also figured out that running the whole batch through is great for efficiency..but you also extract alot more "rubbish" as well
IMHO
Cheers

Fellas,

The only reason I used a nylon bag in the first place was NOT because of any problems with my manifold but because I wanted as clear a runoff as possible into my kettle.
My manifold works perfectly well without the nylon bag & I cut my slots with a hacksaw blade (About 1.2mm). The nylon bag is held at the top by a band of velcro & has never come apart in the 88 times it has been used.
I hope this clears up any misunderstandings you may have gleaned from my posts PoMo? What's your efficiency? :)

TP

Dude, sounds quite well engineered.

As to my efficiency, I dunno. I get a 1.050 wort out of a bucketful of malt. Sometimes with a pint of spec malts. And always a nice bright wort ;)

Sammy, you da man! Thanks mate, I shall if I may, make an exact copy of that beautiful manifold.

Jake, take a look at the Building a Manifold section of Palmer's How To Brew. This gives details on ideal pipe spacing, and all the information you ever wanted to know (or not) about fluid dynamics in relation to mash tun geometry.

It's not really that critical with batch sparging, but if you're going to go to the effort (and expense) of building a copper manifold, then you may as well do it using information that has good science behind it.

Sam

Sam - hows the screen n tube working out. Ive just being investigating get the exact same one. How does it go with pellets? Looks nice. Your manifold is a corker to - twice the size as mine.

The hop screen works great with hop flowers, but with pellets you're still going to get some hop trub coming through.

The only issue i've found is that it can be difficult to get the last few litres out of the kettle, but that's probably as much to do with kettle geometry (low flat kettle) as anything else.

P.S. I havent forgotten you still have 5kg light crystal of mine from Chubby. Will call you soon!

Yes! I actually took it along to the meeting tonight in case you were there.

Sam

Back