Brewcraft Sg Calculator And Coopers Best Extra Recipe = 8%!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukemarsh

Reaction score
I'm planning to put down a Coopers Best Extra Stout brew going exactly to the recipe provided on the Coopers website (Coopers Stout can 1.7kg, Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract 1.5kg, 500g Dextrose and 18L final volume)...

I put all of these ingredients in the Brewcraft SG Calculator (http://www.brewcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWebPa...p;idDetails=172) and it says it will be 8% ABV!

Is this calculator just useless or will my beer actually be petrol?

the kit and extract sheet says by them ingredient's you will have a OG of 1.071 and FG of 1.016 and alc% 7.8 bottled why are you using so much stuff for a 18lt batch???

kelbygreen: That's what it says on the Coopers website to make a Best Extra Stout clone... so I was just going by that! If you go on the Coopers website, it has the recipe...

From Coopers site:
STEP 1: Mix
Our commercial Best Extra Stout is an outstanding beer, hence the numerous awards. This recipe is an approximation to the former version of Best Extra Stout at 6.8% ABV, which was also sold as a bottled-aged product called Special Old Stout. We reckon the extra alcohol increases the longevity of the brew. Its a great beer to cellar and taste periodically to see how it develops. To get as close as possible to style, its important to ferment at 21C using the commercial yeast culture. Look in our Talk Brewing area for a guide on growing our commercial yeast.

Ingredients
1.7kg can Original Series Stout
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract
500g Sugar/Dextrose

Ok, my bad! I thought for some reason it said 18L on the site... it actually says 20L. How much difference does the extra 2L make?

For anyone interested, here is the full recipe and method description from the website:

Ingredients
1.7kg can Original Series Stout
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract
500g Sugar/Dextrose

Method
1. Dissolve Coopers Original Series Stout, Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract and Sugar/Dextrose in 2 litres of hot water.
2. Fill fermenter with cool water to the 20litre mark and stir.
3. Sprinkle supplied yeast over the wort surface (or stir in active Coopers yeast culture).
4. Ferment temperature should be as close to 21C as possible.
5. Bottle once the specific gravity is stable over 24 hours.

would make sence with a 23lt batch being 1.055 OG and 1.012 FG and about 6.2% ABV. unless it has to be a really thick rich beer then 20 might work It works out around 7% then

Back