Coopers Kilted Ale IPA recipe: extra dryhopping?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Wonder if anyone's made this and how it turned out? I've made it to 25L (adding an extra 500g light dry malt, and 500g dextrose to the recipe below). I'm thinking of bottling in 3-4 days. Sampled it today after 14 days in the FV and it's pretty good (malty, somewhat bitter, somewhat aromatic). But I think more aromas would be good. I like a hoppy IPA.

Any suggestions for more dryhopping? I have quite a few hops I picked up the other day - and have got some in some current FVs, but no end-product experience with them in homebrew yet :)
- 20g fuggles 4.9%
- 5g Nelson Sauvin 13.2%
- 30g Tassie Cascade 7.1%
- 50g Galaxy 14.2%
- 25g Centennial 10.2%
- US Cascade 6.2%
- or I could pick up something else tomorrow :)

While I'm on the subject, Coopers recipes always seem to dryhop early (3 days after pitching) compared to suggestions I've seen here (3 days before bottling)?

And the FG seems to be 1010. Seem normal? Unfortunately, I forgot to take OG.

Cheers,
B

---

http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/mid-strength/detail/kilted-ipa/

• 1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA
  • 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
  • 300g Crystal Malt
  • 30g Fuggles Hop Pellets
  • 11.5g Fermentis S-04
Steeped cracked grains in 2L for 30m.
Remove grains. Boil.
On boil, 10g fuggles and remove from heat, lid on for 15-30m
Add Light Dry Malt. Add IPA kit.
Add water up to the 23 litre mark
Sprinkle the dry yeast and fit the lid.
Try to ferment as close to 21°C as possible.
After day 3, or once the foam has collapsed back into the brew, add the remaining 20g of the fuggles hop pellets.

I haven't used s-04 (people recommended Nottingham instead as a much better yeast), which has given good results. A FG of 1010 seems fine.

As for when to add the dry hops, it really depends on where the fermentation is at. If you had the temperature at the very low end of the range which I am guessing is about 15-24C, then dry hopping at Day 3 might be too early and you could lose a lot of the aroma. If you fermented at the upper temp range like 22C, it could be >90% done in 3 days, and might be the right time to dry hop, although you could have some yeasty flavours due to the warm ferment.

I'm not strong enough on hop combos to make any recommendations with what you've got, but if you have mainly hopped with Fuggles then it must be more of an English IPA so normally EKG / Styrian and Fuggles would be the go.

If you like Hoppy IPA's then maybe aim for 2-3g/L of dry hops in total - in your case about 50-75g. From the recipe it sounds pretty mild hop-wise and I think English IPAs usually are tamer than US.

Thanks for the info. I decided to go for an English/American hybrid so chucked in 50g of Cascade (2g/L).

Interested in any views on how long you should wait from dryhopping at the end of fermentation before bottling. I've seen some say 2 days. Some say 14. Guess it's another question of preference :)

Yeah you are right, besides not dry-hopping too early (think days 1-3) it is pretty much an open book, and hard to say just based on the 'days' as every fermentation is different.

The yeast strain and temperature will have a huge impact on how long it takes and therefore when to dry hop. As will the malt / grain bill and quantities too and of course things like how well you treat your yeast, aerate the wort, condition of yeast before you pitched it, etc.

As a rule, I've done a few dry-hopped pale ales fermented at 18C in primary for 14 days and I usually dry hopped around day 5-7. Good luck!

Back