Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go pre paid, works out cheaper almost anytime these days. I used to swear on post paid until I changed about 9 years ago.

Just compared ipad plans for the wife on telstra, 12gb for 12 month, $180 pre paid or $300 post paid.

Hard choice!

EDIT: and to the point: no excess charges, you will know when you're over your limit (they even tell you beforehaand) and you can buy a once off add on if needed.

Hm, I don't know how you came to those figures.

I have an iPhone 5 on contract with unlimited calls, text and 11gb and another contract on a phone I own outright that has 8gb and $500 calls and text (I think, could be more calls and text) and that comes to $320 a month.

ohhh fancy new labels for mods, admin and pro members...

To the ******* prick who came up with babies teething: **** YOU!

I was up from 1:30am to 5:30am with a screaming toddler because of that prick.

And when I took the toddler to the brew shed, he screamed and smacked my hydrometer of the shelf and t smashed on the floor.

So now I'm withholding tooth fairy money from my son to buy a refractometer.

StalkingWilbur said:
Hm, I don't know how you came to those figures.
i looked them up on the telstra site. They're for a 12 month period and the specified data only.

Ruckus said:
To the ******* prick who came up with babies teething: **** YOU!

I was up from 1:30am to 5:30am with a screaming toddler because of that prick.

And when I took the toddler to the brew shed, he screamed and smacked my hydrometer of the shelf and t smashed on the floor.

So now I'm withholding tooth fairy money from my son to buy a refractometer.
Welcome to Dadsville. There is a mouthful of more teeth to come yet in the following 12 months or so. It's so awesome how it's all spread out over that time too and not conveniently all at once. Stupid evolution.

Enjoy the quality time because your little one will not even remember it so you might as well :)

My daughter didn't seem to have these issues. She didn't whine much at all when she was teething.

This guy acts as if someone force fed him acid or something.

Bizier said:
I just got fingered so hard by Vodafone. Over a grand in excess data fees for my mobile. I had it tethered to the computer and the computer was hungry for updates. Man. I'm walking with a limp. They wouldn't reverse it or even cut me any slack in my plan, to add insult to injury I just got another of their regular bills. High seas skullduggery I tell you.
If I recall correctly, they are supposed to (as in required by law to) send you a warning, usually by sms) before you use all your data and switch to excess billing. If they didn't... you may have a case for the telco ombudsman. You may also have a case if the usage was accidental (an obscure setting in an app that used a bunch of data) but tethering to a PC would count as very non accidental.

They are perfectly entitled to charge you for excess usage... its in your contract. Their excess fees are highway robbery but its legal highway robbery as you sign a piece of paper agreeing to be robbed. Caveat Emptor.

Tethering the mobile to the computer is a surefire way to consume data at a frightening rate. A PC watching a youtube video will use much more data than a mobile watching a youtube video as it uses a higher quality stream by default. Mobile aps are designed to minimise data use (the good ones are anyway... some dodgy ones deliberately use data to fraudulently bump up your usage charges... some telcos have been busted for that overseas) but PC apps aren't. Even updates on a PC are huge. Phone app updates are usually a few K or max a couple of meg in size. PC updates can be hundreds of meg. Mobile websites are smaller and less graphics intensive. And so on.

Using your phone as a modem is great for emergencies. Its a really expensive way to go for regular use though. If you need mobile data access for a PC, grab one of those mobile dongle thingies. The data allowances on those are usually much higher than straight mobile plans. Or get a tablet...

Cheers
Dave

Rukus..

Give the young bloke a metal knife/spoon/fork handle to chew on. Will help cut his teath thru the gums.

Funny you mention that.. I gave him a chicken bone to gnaw on at dinner time. Little tyke was happy as Larry.

They need something hard bite bite against to cut their teeth on..

I remember being at a mates place drinking stubbies, and his you bloke kept grabing the bottles and chewing on the ends...he was loving it...mate was going on about how he was teething ...told him the old secret story of giving your teething kids something hard to chew on...

OK here's my rant. I have been brewing for about 6 or 7 years now. Originally, my old man and I brewed together but it was like brewing with a two year old. ALmost every time he came over, he'd ask the same dumb questions like "What are we doing now?" "Why do we do that for?" "Where is such or other thing?" and so on and so forth. Not to mention whenever he did do something he'd often **** it up, he'd get stuff out and not put it away, etc. I'd organise the recipe, I'd get the ingredients, I'd stick it in my fridge, I'd monitor it and get the yeast ready, he'd take half the beer. It was just easier to brew myself so that's what ended up happening - I'd brew the beer, he'd come over and bottle his. After about 6 years of that I eventually said it was over to him to do the brewing and I'd take pleasure in rocking up to his house, kegging my beer and going home.

Well, between my parents travelling (they are retired), his poor planning and lack of brewing, it turned out that instead of brewing at my house I had now basically just transferred my brewing gear to his house and now had to brew there and not in the comfort of my own home (garage). He has recently bought a braumeister and we've gotten rid of our other gear, but the problem remains. As I drink more than he does, I have this expectation from him that every time I want to do a brew I'm expected to give him half which is fine, so long as he's brewing the same amount which, of course, he isn't. I have a 6 keg kegerator and I reckon it's been full of kegs about once in 3 years.

Is it time to tell him to brew his own and I'll brew my own? Does anyone else have this (or similar) dilemma?

WitWonder said:
OK here's my rant. I have been brewing for about 6 or 7 years now. Originally, my old man and I brewed together but it was like brewing with a two year old. ALmost every time he came over, he'd ask the same dumb questions like "What are we doing now?" "Why do we do that for?" "Where is such or other thing?" and so on and so forth. Not to mention whenever he did do something he'd often **** it up, he'd get stuff out and not put it away, etc. I'd organise the recipe, I'd get the ingredients, I'd stick it in my fridge, I'd monitor it and get the yeast ready, he'd take half the beer. It was just easier to brew myself so that's what ended up happening - I'd brew the beer, he'd come over and bottle his. After about 6 years of that I eventually said it was over to him to do the brewing and I'd take pleasure in rocking up to his house, kegging my beer and going home.

Well, between my parents travelling (they are retired), his poor planning and lack of brewing, it turned out that instead of brewing at my house I had now basically just transferred my brewing gear to his house and now had to brew there and not in the comfort of my own home (garage). He has recently bought a braumeister and we've gotten rid of our other gear, but the problem remains. As I drink more than he does, I have this expectation from him that every time I want to do a brew I'm expected to give him half which is fine, so long as he's brewing the same amount which, of course, he isn't. I have a 6 keg kegerator and I reckon it's been full of kegs about once in 3 years.

Is it time to tell him to brew his own and I'll brew my own? Does anyone else have this (or similar) dilemma?
Mate, that is sad.

I don't know the full details of the relationship between you and your father but I can tell you that my dad died when I was in my 20's at aged 48 in 1976 and I would give anything for him to be here with me today drinking a beer that we both brewed...particularly on Anzac day.
My dad like yours in my eyes was at times a pain in the "you know what" when I was young but he loved a beer.

I quite often brew a beer for my son now.
He has really little appreciation of different styles and just seems to like the "megaswill" most times. I give him the beer and sometimes he slips me a few bucks for the cost of the ingredients.
The greatest thrill I get is when he phones me to say, "that beer was great dad" or when he says "dad I have got a mate that wants to talk to you about brewing"

I would hate to be in a situation where I would have to say that to my Dad or that my son would have to say that to me. :chug: :chug:

WitWonder said:

I'd have suggested the FWP thread but this is in a class of its own. You have to really alter the course of history for this to be normal.

You can have your own brewspace and still have that special father/son brewday without needing to rely on it for when you want to brew.

You brew in your time, when your dad feels like a brewday or when it's been a while since you had one - get together. That way it's actually meaningful instead of marred by resentment. Your feelings are totally understandable but dicko makes a good point. Dad won't be there forever - doesn't mean you need to keep going the way you are and if you do it will actually ruin the memories.

My father in law is the same - but I wouldn't change it for the world.

I'd suggest maybe going with Mant's idea. That, or brew on your own and pop over to his place with some tallies and hang out every now and then without the stress of brewing.

Sounds to me like you're onto a good thing, all things considered, and I'd hate to see a new rant from you in a few year's time about how you miss yer old man.

My Dad taught me heaps about brewing, even taught me how to break my nose when I was wilder, but we are best mates and share our beers I can't imagine anything better than brewing beer together and I will miss it when he's gone so cut him some slack, he won't be there forever.

In addition to brewing at my place, I used to brew about once a month at my mother's house. I used to look forward to those brew days.

Bought some building supplies online for my new shed. Or at least I thought I did. Due to be delivered yesterday. No sign of them yesterday. Rang them up... we can't find your payment. Bugger (or words to that effect, starting with F). Ended up spending today at bunnings buying all the timber and having to hire a ute to bring it all back instead of working. What a pain in the arse... drive to bunnings, pick up and load ute, drive home, unload ute, drive back to bunnings, drop off ute and drive home. What a waste of a day. And their $25 ute hire. Yeah... $25... plus insurance... plus a fee per kilometre... plus.... ended up costing over 80 bucks for what they advertise as a $25 hire. That's a frickin scam.

And the use. It was a Hilux ute. Almost brand new. Only done 20K. I know people love them and drive them even though they never have anything bigger than a bag of potting mix to get home. These people must be fucked in the head. It was the least comfortable ride I have ever had. Every bump in the road the thing rocked madly back and forth, causing the seat to pound into my back like it was giving my kidneys some kind of deep tissue, shiatsu massage. The missus was jiggling around so much on the way home she didn't help unload when we got there, she had to go and put on a sports bra for the return trip. I get that they are a great way to get big stuff from point a to point b but why would anyone who doesn't need to bet big stuff from point a to point b ever drive one? Seriously you people. WTF?

I think that's three rants in one.

Need more beer.

Back