Commercial Garage Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking to Kooinda and they are helpful dudes indeed. I'll keep you all posted on the progress!

One thing that is not on the list is the sewer connection as you will now be creating trade waste and will have a bunch of different requirements.

I asked a fellow collegue who help set up the now defunct Eagle Heights brewery (Mt Tambourine) and he mentioned that a good sewer connection was critical.

Yup, if doing all-grain then you will be looking at generating commercial waste in a residential area and for many councils, this is a no-no.

Waste eh? Any idea where I can find out about this? Grain would go to a farmer, apparently if using less than 1% chemicals that should be ok. Yeast might be an issue.

A farmer I knew back in Ireland used to get yeast by the trailerload from the Beamish brewery and feed it to pigs

A small snippet of info but info all the same... Dairy farmers feed brewers waste, lolly waste, spoiled veges (the higher the starch the better) to the cows for increased milk production along with other benefits...

Maybe there is an arrangement to had with a farmer somewhere near you? ie. free brewers waste if they collect?

TKF

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but i have a connection on my 3 panel solar hot water system cut in before the temper valve and run to my brew shed.

When i go to heat strike/sparge water i start with water that is tween 60 and 80C. It's heated for next to nothing and is a considerable time/money saver.

For a system like you are proposing i would investigate a custom designed solar heater.

Also, when i was looking into commercial production of my beef jerky, foodsafe advised me that while it was legal to have a food system in my home (or seperate to it) if i met the right conditions....they would never approve it as they had no legal right to inspection on a private dwelling unless they obtained a warrant.

This information is 12-18 months old, so things may have changed, but i doubt it.

Wow, how far people come from an innocent "how do I set up a brewery in my garage" thread on AHB...

fraser_john said:
Yup, if doing all-grain then you will be looking at generating commercial waste in a residential area and for many councils, this is a no-no.
Agree, you would be very lucky, to get it approved . The residents around you WILL complain . This may not make sense but it will happen and the council will block it on complaints about
smells, waste disposal , increased traffic from cars and trucks, noise, insufficient parking , etc...

A 200 L braumeister although a great bit of equipment is expensive for the size ($ 22000). There are better ways to go.

Latest posts

Back