Cloudy Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Reaction score
i dont know if this happens to any one else, but when i mix my starsan i only get about 5 mins out of it before it goes cloudy. the strange thing is if i use iodophor it seems to last forever without losing color and when i use starsan at my parents place it keeps clear for ages to. i admittadly havent tested for ph for a while but when i did about a year ago for my aquarium it was nuetral. my real question is does anyone think this is affecting the sanitation properties or not. atm im using iodophor because of this but would rather be uing starsan for its benefits to the enviroment and the lesser likely hood of of flavours.

i dont know if this happens to any one else, but when i mix my starsan i only get about 5 mins out of it before it goes cloudy. the strange thing is if i use iodophor it seems to last forever without losing color and when i use starsan at my parents place it keeps clear for ages to. i admittadly havent tested for ph for a while but when i did about a year ago for my aquarium it was nuetral. my real question is does anyone think this is affecting the sanitation properties or not. atm im using iodophor because of this but would rather be uing starsan for its benefits to the enviroment and the lesser likely hood of of flavours.
You need to use distilled or RO water, I can't be bothered searching for you but the reasoning has been mentioned many times before. Also try listening to the BN podcast on Sanitation by the guy from Starsan he explains it all there.

yeah aus db i hear what your saying but with soft water and nuetral ph according to the interviews with charlie talley this shouldnt be happening? im only 5 ks or so from one of melbournes main reservoirs so the water really should be good.

yeah aus db i hear what your saying but with soft water and nuetral ph according to the interviews with charlie talley this shouldnt be happening? im only 5 ks or so from one of melbournes main reservoirs so the water really should be good.
Have you tried the experiment with some Distilled water that is the only way to really prove it.

Melbourne's water is soft but I'd be surprised if it was completely mineral free or neutral pH (ie 7).

There will still be minerals and chemicals in treated water. As suggested try distilled (or demineralised) water and see if it goes cloudy in that.

I use demineralised water and it lasts for multiple sessions before getting cloudy. It seems to drop pretty clear after about a week as well.

Where would one find cheap demineralised water or distilled water?

I have seen it about but it seems like an expensive option. So much so that it's cheaper to use more starsan.

Weird mate. Im from the gong. And my starsan last for weeks in my pail.

I get it at the supermarket and it cost 'k all.

thanks fellas looks like ill try the distilled water and see what happens.where in the supermarket is it bum?he only time ive seen distilled water seems to be in the auto shop and it cost a fortune wich is why ive never tried it.

I didn't know there'd be a test!

I can't for the life of me remember. I'd take a stab at the automotive section though. Seems unlikely to be with the other bottled waters. Can't remember an exact price but I doubt I would have paid more than $4 for the 2l bottle. I guess it depends what you consider "cheap" for water.

Demineralised water, in the ironing section near the ironing aids - stops your steam iron gumming up. Bum probably doesn't iron. If I was a bum I wouldn't iron either. B)

As a matter of fact, I do not iron.

I have a big wrinkle right up the middle.

I didn't know there'd be a test!

I can't for the life of me remember. I'd take a stab at the automotive section though. Seems unlikely to be with the other bottled waters. Can't remember an exact price but I doubt I would have paid more than $4 for the 2l bottle. I guess it depends what you consider "cheap" for water.

So $20 to make up 10 litre half bucket?

Chucking out 15mL of starsan is a cheaper option for me.

I fill up a 500ml spray bottle and it lasts the best part of 6 months, and that includes squirting upside my taps after pouring as well to keep the bugs from growing. 4 years on, no problems as of yet, fingers crossed though, I didnt even know this stuff went bad.

You need to use distilled or RO water, I can't be bothered searching for you but the reasoning has been mentioned many times before. Also try listening to the BN podcast on Sanitation by the guy from Starsan he explains it all there.

You don't need to use distilled or RO water,it just gives better shelf life.

Sometimes on contact starsan will milk up,while it has less shelf life,it DOES NOT MEAN it is not working.

Ph meter is your friend,the inventor says below 2.3 is good.Because it's milkly does not automatically mean above 2.5 Ph

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I wouldn't use this much in 10 brews.

I like to keep a bucket half full of starsan on hand to sanitise 60L fermenters and all sorts of brew gear.
I know many others that do the same, it's really not feasible in my situation to buy RO water or likewise except for a spray bottle (which I don't bother doing, I still think it's cheaper to chuck it).

Probably wrong though.

Probably wrong though.

I doubt it. Horses for courses and all that.

It does sound like tipping it would be cheaper for your process.

if i use iodophor it seems to last forever without losing color and when i use starsan at my parents place it keeps clear for ages to.

Be a good kid and visit your parents more and bring home water.

As I recall from the interview it is recommended to dump it when it goes cloudy.

Just wondering what is in your water that is causing it? May be worth a brew with the folks water to see if the beer is better or worse. Or for about the same cost you could get your water tested for the major salts.

Latest posts

Back