clarity on the law in QLD please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack91

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me exactly what the laws are regarding reflux/pit stills for spirit production in QLD please? I have had so many people tell me different things and wanted to know for sure before I start posting frequently ;-)

Jack91 said:
Can anybody tell me exactly what the laws are regarding reflux/pit stills for spirit production in QLD please? I have had so many people tell me different things and wanted to know for sure before I start posting frequently ;-)
The law in Australia is the relevant one.
You may not distil alcohol unless you have the appropriate licence. You may use a 5L still to produce essential oils or distilled water.

Easy enough to check without asking on forums though mate. Forums offer opinions and hearsay which you've already had plenty of. Check relevant government websites for clarification.

We don't discuss distilling here due to legality of the practice in AU but the site owners have another site, linked above and hosted elsewhere.

The law is not QLD but Australian Tax Law
In short making any distilled product without having an excise permit and paying the relevant tax (excise) is a breach of the tax act, so in effect illegal.
Just like talking about distilling on ADB...
Mark

Back