Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahahahaha I love this radio station mate. Hahahaha currently up to the bit about Australian supply chains ripping us off, love the hardcover book reference.

I personally thought the argument was very logical and convincing.

Craftbrewer

Mate, BOTH SIDES GOT IT

I am going to cop even more crap now, as both sides wont be happy

Graham
http://radio.craftbrewer.org

Looky what I caught! A Sanders Fish!

marlin.jpg

:lol:

I personally thought the argument was very logical and convincing.

Craftbrewer

Without a doubt. Nothing annoys me more than any business treating their customers like a gravy train. I understand the local homebrew store isn't a major bank with a CEO that's charging extraordinary account keeping fees, but once they start trying to control the market they lose respect.

If the local HBS isn't comfortable with these measures, they need to not immediately react, but instead ask themselves why it's happening and what they can do from stopping it happen again. They'd be also wise to play on their strengths.

C'mon guys,

Start ordering the Marco Polo! I want to see what these hops are like... Who knows, they might be pelletised GOLD! :lol:

C'mon guys,

Start ordering the Marco Polo! I want to see what these hops are like... Who knows, they might be pelletised GOLD! :lol:

Absolutely! And even if everything else turns out crap, the alpha content should ensure these are a safe bet, even if just a bittering hop.

Good show again Graham. Haven't listened to any since May when my brewing depression started. Had me laughing as usual and for good reason.

It would be interesting to know if any of the negative (you're killing Australia) feedback providers have purchased electronic equipment, or basically anything from a Chinese manufacturer

you would be pushing ball bearings uphill with a pitchfofk to buy anything without any chinese content these days!

I've only listened to one episode of the craftbrewer internet show. It was August this year and there was a segment on CO2. The hosts claimed that it is almost impossible to purchase CO2 cylinders these days. They believe that your only chance is being lucky enough to find a second hand cylinder. They went on to push the fire extinguisher route. All this may come as a surprise to the many retailers selling new CO2 cylinders.

If this is the standard of the information being disseminated by this show I will give it a miss.

They went on to push the fire extinguisher route. All this may come as a surprise to the many retailers selling new CO2 cylinders.

Just wondering where the cylinders are being filled? None of the major C02 "rental" companies here will fill a cylinder unless it is their own.

Therefore, is there a difference between a cylinder (ex-fire extinguisher) being filled by a supplier of C02 and a new cylinder supplied by a homebrew shop?

cheers

Darren

Maybe it is just how things work in the places I've been to but I thought LHBS that sell cylinders also do refills.

Oh I liked the vote with your wallet idea. It kind of dismantles the supply chains hold over the retailer if they both lose out over consumers getting educated and going elsewhere.

Fourstar! Mate I'm already on Marco Polo, I want to know what these are like as well and am willing to put my money where the mouth is ;) Wish more of us would be ballsy to brew outside the style guide.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Just wondering where the cylinders are being filled? None of the major C02 "rental" companies here will fill a cylinder unless it is their own.

Therefore, is there a difference between a cylinder (ex-fire extinguisher) being filled by a supplier of C02 and a new cylinder supplied by a homebrew shop?

cheers

Darren

Most of the MKOL cylinder outlets do filling, only to proper CO2 cylinders though. ie not to cut up modified fire extinguishers.

cheers

Darren

You got it in one.

They are totally different cyclinders the LHBS have compared to the fire extinguishers.

Many many people prefer and use the ex-fire exinguishers. I remember when BOC flogged a lot of old CO2 cyclinders to LHBS, then did the dirty on them by then not filling them.

Most brewers up this way solely use ex-fire ex's as their CO2, as they are easy filled, cheap and if you get the steel ones, last a lifetime.

Then again, I NEVER try to please the masses - you get my opinion on the radio program, and if you dont like it, dont listen - I am not making you listen to it.

BUT this is a Chinese Hop Buy forum, so back to this HUGE HOP BUY that it seems everyone wants to fail.

When this succeeds, I just want all the negative farts out there, to blow one my way and say "GOD that Ego-Headed Brewer is good"

Craftbrewer

this HUGE HOP BUY that it seems everyone wants to fail.

Looks like there's a lot of names on the list to me.

Don't let any nay-sayers get you down. A lot of people are gonna have fun brewing something different thanks to your efforts.

Looks like there's a lot of names on the list to me.

Don't let any nay-sayers get you down. A lot of people are gonna have fun brewing something different thanks to your efforts.

Those that know me will know what I will say

For those that dont

"haven't met a brewer yet who can get me down, put me down and keep me down"

many have tried, and failed

Craftbrewer

Wish more of us would be ballsy to brew outside the style guide.

Pete, I think most people actually do brew outside the style guidlines.
The guidlines (and here I refer to BJCP) are merely that, guidlines.
They are no doubt very helpfull if you wish to brew a particular style of beer.
They are certainly extremely helpfull to judges in judging a beer in a comp.
Of course we all brew good beer, not much sense in brewing if we did not.
The great thing about the guidlines is that they give a basis on which to compare beers in a competition, a good brewer should be able to brew within those guidlines and have their beer evaluated against like beers. New beer styles are emerging all the time and no doubt varietys lke Marco Polo will be part of the emergence, who ever heard of Galaxy 3 yeras ago or Amarillo 7?

K

What is the go with the Craftbrewer radio session links, when I click on them nothing happens, or if I try to save as, it will only save as a html link, is there a problem with the site or am I doing something wrong?

cheers

Browndog

Spot on Dr K. I love NZ hops but there isn't a category yet for New Zealand Pilseners (Green Bullet, BSaaz etc etc) despite the fact that NZ produces some brilliant hops that puts big Cousin Australia to shame. And they are still fighting over what constitutes a Scottish 70/- versus an 80/-

I make a killer Cameron's Strongarm tribute but just try entering that as an ESB in a BJCP based comp and see where it would end up, yeah.

Strongarm.JPG

:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back