Chinees Hops, Beware

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay attention! This happened whilst they were frozen in the freezer with all of our other frozen goods i.e.: fish, beef, ice cream, ECT. Everything is still frozen and intact, except the hops.

Sorry for offending you by trying to help. Perhaps your exact situation may have been easier to understand if you had paid more attention to your spelling. You post read to me that you had 'though' them out.

Obviously you meant 'thought' about 'thawing' them out. I should have known better than to expect too much from somebody that bought into the Chinese Hop madness.

Enjoy your hops mate.

Sorry for offending you by trying to help. Perhaps your exact situation may have been easier to understand if you had paid more attention to your spelling. You post read to me that you had 'though' them out.

Obviously you meant 'thought' about 'thawing' them out. I should have known better than to expect too much from somebody that bought into the Chinese Hop madness.

Enjoy your hops mate.

Um I didnt take offence to your post, sorry.

Im well aware that my spelling and diction are very poor, but that doesnt faze me.

The post was just a matter of interest. This happened inside a sealed bag whilst frozen and the bag is still sealed and frozen. The interesting thing is there is something going on in there.

Um I didn’t take offence to your post, sorry.

I’m well aware that my spelling and diction are very poor, but that doesn’t faze me.

The post was just a matter of interest. This happened inside a sealed bag whilst frozen and the bag is still sealed and frozen. The interesting thing is there is something going on in there.

Tidal Pete was missing a hearing aid battery after the hop pack, maybe get it tested for nickel / cadmium

:eek:

;)

The real question is, what sort of organism is able to produce that result at average freezer temps (-6deg)????

I'd seriously send them off to quarantine, this may well be a major issue.

I should have known better than to expect too much from somebody that bought into the Chinese Hop madness.

Enjoy your hops mate.

You apparently can't read even when things are spelled correctly.

His OP clearly said he didn't buy the hops but were given some by a fellow brewer.

bud

Kev, I bet youll still have these hops 12 months from now if you havent already used them.

By the way, the Chinees hoped contraption of a beer you fed Scott has fixed up his infected throat. I think you may be on to something and your about to make billions selling it to pharmaceutical companies worldwide.

What was that recipe again?

Sold off a couple of bags, a few to go :lol:

QldKev

His OP clearly said he didn't buy the hops but were given some by a fellow brewer.

bud

Be nice, you shouldn't expect some of the fools on here to comprehend a full sentence.

QldKev

So he took them out of the freezer to throw them out and then later rummaged through the bin to check on their welfare?

You're a weird man, Gregs.

lol, bum doesn't even need to duck for things to go over his head...

QldKev

The real question is, what sort of organism is able to produce that result at average freezer temps (-6deg)????

I'd seriously send them off to quarantine, this may well be a major issue.

Some (non-brewing) yeasts will grow down at those temps. I imagine there are a lot of other things that will too.

Whether they are dangerous or not is anyones guess.

bud

Hi Bud,

Buy .... Given .... - it is all the same thing. The end result is that despite all the warnings given by knowledgeable people before the buy, and the bad experiences reported by many others after the buy - he has ended up wonderng why there were problems with a pack of his Chinese hops. I don't think that the problem is spelling or reading.

But I do hope that you enjoy your Chinese hops - whatever use you put them to. It is probably just some of the melamine, antifreeze or other poison used to make poor quality hops look like higher quality ones - just for a small time at least.

My advice would be to return them to where you bought them from and seek a full refund - but I guess that is a little difficult under the circumstances.

But I certainly wouldn't use them as it is not a normal thing for 'normal' hops to do.

Oddly I was thinking of getting some of my Chinese hops out of the freezer next week and setting up a brew or two. I haven't looked at them in my beer fridge freezer since they arrived here last year.

Are there any success stories out there using these hops or have they mostly ended up tossed out? I'm not too fussed about going to the time and expense of a brew or two to find the hops are useless, or worse, dangerous.

So who has had a good run with them? Cheerz Wabster.

I stupidly purchased the following Chinese Hops last year... 1kg Marco Polo, 1kg Saaz and 1kg Cascade.

After using a little of each in January (this year) I swore I'd never use them again because they just never matched or surpassed
my good hops... Simply they a CRAP!
:icon_vomit:

That said, here's the sales pitch.

In my freezer I still have...

965g Marco Polo,
920g Saaz and
900g Cascade... ALL FREE TO A GOOD HOME and I'll even pay for the 3kg express postage.

PM me if you are ready to run the gauntlet ~ Caveats: No Warranty, No Return, No Responsibility Taken.

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

But I do hope that you enjoy your Chinese hops - whatever use you put them to.

Now is seems like you think I gave the hops to him.....you do have funny reading interpretation skills :(

I didn't buy any, nor had anything to do with them. I just know the bloke.

I do however, think the $3000 bucks or so that was spent was well worth it for the total entertainment value of the threads it created B)

Cheers,
bud

I do however, think the $3000 bucks or so that was spent was well worth it for the total entertainment value of the threads it created B)

Cheers,
bud

Yes, it is something that just keeps on giving ....

Eeeewwww!!! :icon_vomit:

The ones I had (which are now landfill BTW) started to look simular, soft, moist and crumbly, to what you have there Gregs. They were in the freezer but not vac packed. Wonder what would cause something to decompose in a freezer?

Glad mine are gone to the tip now and I didn't give them away to another brewer. Phew!

I guess your just not a very good Brewer Gregs... :ph34r: :lol:

Ahem!!! :ph34r:

Cheers Ross

It's like fkn children in a sandbox. Get over it. We tried an untested product in case it was good and cheap. It turned out it was just cheap. Ok move on FFS! We we all aware of the risks before we bought them.

Ok fine for those to warn others off buying them but don't keep going on about it.

Oh and yes I bought 3kg of them. So I'm in this situation also. However keep in mind some proletariat are using them and recon they are ok. Bittering mostly. Or age them and use them in a funk brew.

Latest posts

Back