Chilli In Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful with this one.

I heard about someone who died when they tried doing what you're doing.

I may be lying.

I may not.

One of those last statements may not be a lie.

Whilst on the topic, would you be leaving out hops alltogether with a Chilli beer? The Chilli is enough to offset any sweetness I would imagine.

No hops, just a can of Tooheys Lager, 1kg of dextrose and 9 chillis, seeds and all boiled for 10 minutes. All in fermenter now and it smells bloody good!!!

No hops, just a can of Tooheys Lager, 1kg of dextrose and 9 chillis, seeds and all boiled for 10 minutes. All in fermenter now and it smells bloody good!!!

I'll be interested to hear how this one turns out :blink:

Mind you, I am a bit of a chilli fan also.....

wonder if I should chuck a handful of chopped up birds eye chillis in my next mash.... :super:

Nah, I have 4 different chilli plants all starting to grow chillis, so I will be using those in the next batch. I love my home grown chillis!! I still have a few cans of Tooheys Lager goop that I got on sale, so I will use those with the same amount of dextrose and same boil time so I can get a good judge on taste difference.

I'll be interested to hear how this one turns out :blink:

Mind you, I am a bit of a chilli fan also.....

wonder if I should chuck a handful of chopped up birds eye chillis in my next mash.... :super:
Use "Masterfoods" I reakon they are the best.

OK, now I am getting adventurous. I am really happy with my progress in brewing. Now I want to try chilli beer. How do I add it? I have masterfoods dried and crushed chilli. I also have some chillis pickled, that I grew myself. How much and what is best to add? I only have a couple of cans of Tooheys Lager ATM and I want to try and add some more or different tastes to them.

Hey Fasty73. I tried putting some chilli flakes in to some bottles of lager and it ended up smelling and tasting like vomit, so I suggest you go very sparingly. :D

I used about a flat tablespoon of dried chilli flakes in to a 1.25lt bottle, primed it and bottled it. I left it for around a month or so, shaking it every few weeks to stir up the chilli

What went wrong? Too much chilli I'm guessing. Haven't been brave enough to try chilli again

Maple syrup, however was awesome! 2 tbsp maple syrup mixed with some hot boiled water and added to a 1.25lt bottle.

I used 1.25lt PET bottles to experiment with and brewed a 23lt batch of Coopers Lager

Good luck fella, let us know how you went on!

Too late mossko. I like your way of thinking (just being polite) I like the go hard or go home approach. I just made 23 litres of a chilli brew. I used 9 medium chillis to make it and it smells sweet. I will leave it about 3 weeks in the fermenter and about 8 weeks in the bottle before I even go near it. I hope it turns out ok, if not...well I have 8 fermenters going so it won't be any great loss. If it gross, well I'll leave it in the bottle for a couple more months and if it gets worse, I will give it away at work to the taxi drivers that I don't like LOL.

Fasty, I put one red mini chillie(1 inch long) in the tallie of some of my beers. I wash the chillies and put them in whole. I often do this with my stouts. I'm not a big chillie fan but I love doing this for my winter brews. I've also done this with regular lagers/ales. The best part is I can try it on as many or few tallies without the risk of ruining a whole batch. One of these chillies has more than enough bite after two weeks and as to be expected at three months is quite flavourism but without burning the skin out of your mouth. Try it with one and work your way up if you want more bite.

Cheers

Hirns

Made a chilli stout back in February. Bloody magnificent! On bottling it had a really nice chilli forward nature to it but even after secondary fermentation it was starting to modify the chilli flavours to a coffee/mocha and slide those back along the palate.

Now after nine months it is one of the best stouts that I have had. Really looking forward to seeing its continued development over the next year - if I can stretch it out that long!

This turned out TOPS!!! I only ever drink 2 or 3 tallies though. I wouldn't drink anymore for fear of the next day.

Latest posts

Back