Chilli In Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
OK, now I am getting adventurous. I am really happy with my progress in brewing. Now I want to try chilli beer. How do I add it? I have masterfoods dried and crushed chilli. I also have some chillis pickled, that I grew myself. How much and what is best to add? I only have a couple of cans of Tooheys Lager ATM and I want to try and add some more or different tastes to them.

Fasty,
Before brewing with chilli i recommend you add a bit of dried or fresh chilli to a normal batch during bottling... just to give yourself a feel for the taste. This will mean that you don't potentially watse a brew if you overdose on the chilli or don't like the flavour. You can also experiment with the amount of chilli added
Lodan

Well, I love beer and I really love chilli.

Well, I like kebabs, but not in my beer.

My advice would be to add a fresh birds eye chilli, cut in half, to a single bottle of your next brew. Ive had ginger beers done this way and the heat comes through nicely.

Well, I love beer and I really love chilli.

Me too! But I'd rather drink a great beer and have a curry or rellenos with it than compromise.

And that's what chilli beer is - a compromise between two things we love. Why ruin both?

Chilli beer is not unheard of though whereas kebab beer only happens the next day after a big one and no-one really wants to know about that.

Silo's advice is good though fasty - fresh chilli, added to a single bottle or two to get an idea of the amounts you'd prefer. I love chili too - the amounts people love are all different so you need to find yours.

Hmmmmmmm, kebab in beer :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

OK, now I am getting adventurous. I am really happy with my progress in brewing. Now I want to try chilli beer. How do I add it? I have masterfoods dried and crushed chilli. I also have some chillis pickled, that I grew myself. How much and what is best to add? I only have a couple of cans of Tooheys Lager ATM and I want to try and add some more or different tastes to them.

more chilli

http://www.homebrewdownunder.com/index.php...2;topicseen#new

cheers

LOL, you love spruiking that website, hey Yardy ? :icon_cheers:

Thats a freakin good laugh yardy!!! I only read the first few posts. OK, heres what I am going to do...I am going to cut up half dozen of my pickled chillis and put them in the boil with my dextrose and add to the fermenter. I know some have said to add to the bottle but I am going to do my usual and ignore this good advice and go my own way.
Cheers... and yes I am drunk.

I know this isn't helping with a recipe, but the Sail & Anchor in Freo used to make a really nice chilli beer. Really light and actually really refreshing. Oh how I wish they were still brewing on premises.

.I am going to cut up half dozen of my pickled chillis and put them in the boil with my dextrose and add to the fermenter. I know some have said to add to the bottle but I am going to do my usual and ignore this good advice and go my own way.

What are they pickled in, vinegar, salt ? At such a small volume it probably won't matter, but play it safe, and get fresh chillis from your local greengrocer. The little tiny red ones will do the trick. Habaneros would be better but unless you grow your own you arent going to find them easily.

You have plenty of fermenters now, so why not do a split batch, that way if its no good you have only lost 10 litres.

Cheers... and yes I am drunk.

That's the spirit !

I do grow my own chillis and they are pickled in whatever SWMBO put them in, ok 6 not enough, lets make it 12. Let me go check my plants for any fresh chillis.

Have been patiently waiting for fasty to start this thread.

Happy to be not dissapointed ;)

disapointed even ;) ;)

I have cut it back to 9 chillis. Just sampled the juice they are in and it's nice and hot. Got 9 chillis on the boil for 10 minutes then will add 1 kg of dextrose for last 5 minutes on simmer.

ive had a few chilli beers ,and im not a fan of them at all personally,i love beer and love chilli just not togethter.the one ive had that i really liked though was the rouge chipotle ale,it was fantastic :icon_drool2: my old man tried a clone though with bought chipotles and was all heat and no smoke so smoking our own might be the go next time.

Latest posts

Back