Check Out Our New Jamon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelastspud

Reaction score
Anyone like spanish ham?

My house mate bought this yesterday pretty tasty
was about $45 australian for a 7 kilo jamon it was on special and its not a really good one its only 14 months old
But still pretty tasty. The really good ones go for about 200-300 for 7-8 kilos leg and they can be up to 48 months old

They leave the foot on which is a bit strange at first but you get used to it and it let you know what sort of pig it came from, the best pigs have black feet and toes.

Anyway its great stuff

jamon_whole.JPG

The meat, you can see that this ham doesnt have a enough fat lines running though it
and the meat is more red or pink than almost black like the good ones

jamon_carving.JPG

Looks good there bradley. Saw some of this of a Jamie Oliver ( :ph34r: ) show recently. Looked amazing, esp the darker stuff. He showed how the fat off the better quality stuff just melted away when you rubbed it between your fingers.

Just make sure it's the real deal:

http://www.theage.com.au/world/spanish-ham...1013-16jye.html

The pork police appear to be cracking down fakes!

Cheers SJ

Ah, you lucky bugger.

I've got my first attempt at making a serrano ham hanging in the cellar. I desperately hope it turns out, otherwise it's a lot of money and time down the drain.

It's pretty interesting, over the curing time they deliberately let them get covered in mould, which contributes lots of flavour to the meat but also prevents it drying out too much over the long curing time.

Enjoy!

Good on ya for trying to make on yourself Id love to try that one day. Over here in some of the towns they still raise a pig every year and kill it themselves in the kitchen and make everything black pudding, jamon, sausages, chorizo. A mate of mines family still does it and he is gonna show me one day.

Back