Charging For Your Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has a donation jar next to their font or fridge. Dont get me wrong I love having people over and sampling my brew but recently when me and a couple of mates had a decent session in the garage, before they left they threw a couple of bucks each on the bar and said that they wanted to put some cash toward my next brew. I had never thought about it before as even before I brewed I would always make sure that I had beer in the fridge just incase someone was to stop in(thats what I told the wife was the reason that i stocked so much any way). But it sort of made a bit of sense since we had migrated from the weekly pub meet to the weekly garage meet. Whats everyones views on this :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

if thay like your beer and are willing to throw you some coin why not

Eh, I'm not a fan of it. For one it makes me feel like I look a bit skint and stingy, but also my friends tend to bring over beer, snacks etc when they come over for whatever reason. I also go over their place and have their beer and food- so in the end it all balances out. No need for a tip jar IMO.

Yeah It all starts here.

And before you know it you'll have a fully functional bar in your garage. Word will eventually spread beyond your circle of buddies and it'll become a local hotspot with randoms off the street coming in every night. You'll eventually become too busy being a full time barman to sit around and drink. Your wife wont be happy about it at first, But then she'll decide to start singing for the crowd in scantily dressed attire. All the guys will be whistling and carrying on... This will eventually make you jealous. So you'll tell your wife to stop. But she enjoys the limelight! She's not stopping for you. Then all of your buddies wives will get pissed off that they're all at your house every night drinking and perving at your missus. So you decide to invite them over to drag them all out and get them away from your wife and close down your garage bar thats getting out of control..... and then.... wait. What am I saying? That was just an episode of Family Guy I watched the other day.

Never mind.

:)

I recently had an oktoberfest party at my place and a few of them suggested putting a jar for people that wanted to donate. I would never ask and didn't have any place for people to put "tips" as it was my birthday party and they'd got me gifts (2L glass boot!). In future there will be a stien sitting there if people want to help contribute towards future brews then great, if not then great as well.

Yeah It all starts here.

And before you know it you'll have a fully functional bar in your garage. Word will eventually spread beyond your circle of buddies and it'll become a local hotspot with randoms off the street coming in every night. You'll eventually become too busy being a full time barman to sit around and drink. Your wife wont be happy about it at first, But then she'll decide to start singing for the crowd in scantily dressed attire. All the guys will be whistling and carrying on... This will eventually make you jealous. So you'll tell your wife to stop. But she enjoys the limelight! She's not stopping for you. Then all of your buddies wives will get pissed off that they're all at your house every night drinking and perving at your missus. So you decide to invite them over to drag them all out and get them away from your wife and close down your garage bar thats getting out of control..... and then.... wait. What am I saying? That was just an episode of Family Guy I watched the other day.

Never mind.

:)

haha, im reading this and thinking.. hmmm Sounds familiar!
Love family guy.

Also, i guess it depends if your mates return the favor. If its always at your house and your beer, im sure its fair for them to chip in. However if they bring stuff over, or have you to their house and don't take money, you probably shouldn't either.

my mates normally bring some good beers over to sample alongside mine and that's fine by me. There are a few that come just to drink mine and a tip jar would not change this lol

All in all i like giving them a sample of my beers given the interest they show in it

Go to Gaol, Go directly to Gaol, Do not pass Go, Dont collect $200.

MHB

I never "charge" friends overtly if people come to my place for a quick visit or if I've invited them to come and have a few beers. BUT, I do have a couple of friends who are on a tight budget like me and they contribute now and again to some ingredients so that they can get a cheap, good quality slab out of it.

I also use my beers as part of a barter system with a couple of other friends who supply me with their respective goods...one does the tastiest olives this side of the equator.

I think reciprocity of some description is important if it is regular and if it is a signifcant (subjectively signifcant to you) portion of your brew. I think you got out of it pretty easy becasue they offered, you didn't ask.

Being a full time student with no other income I would be chuffed, but I've never cared much in the past (when I was working) unless I had most of a batch smashed in one setting or something. :icon_cheers:

If my friends enjoy my beers it makes me happy. If they enjoy the meals I cook for them it makes me happy.

I've been reciprocated many times. My currency is beer and food. If someone wanted to fix me up with a few dollars I'd tell them to put into some ingredients and come round and have a brewday (or just to put it back in their pocket and not be silly).

Ask them to come over and give the old mash tun a tickle for you,that way you might get them hooked on Brewing as well.Then you can try their brews as well.

We had 40 people around for the first Grand Final....
We lit the wood fired pizza oven .....
I supplied the dough...people bought toppings....they cooked about 60 pizzas
As a few acquantances would be there , i put a tip jar next to my glass cupboard , in the garage... i started it with 5c
I had 4 different beers on tap during the day... 72 litres...
They drank the lot...even my californian common that i saved til last...
Everyone raved about the beers...
Next morning....
There was 5c in the tip jar...which i put in...
You get that on the big jobs...

The 'Program Files' directory in Windows have killed 'Programme' :-(

By the way I've never done this but if I had the boys over regularly and they drunk home brew I'd put a tip jar out for sure. Just to cover ingredients. If it's $4 a schooner or more at the pub and you can make a schooner at home for 50 cents then expecting your friends to put in 50 cents per schooner isn't being a tight arse. No one loses except the government and I hate those pricks.

I wish I had friends to come to my house and drink beer with me :( :( :(

If I get invited for dinner at someone else's house I don't expect to have to pay for ingredients. That's why the guests bring drinks usually.

I had a few friends around last weekend and spent over $200 on ingredients, cooked all day (and a few hours the night before) while my partner cleaned, decorated and made dough for dessert doughnuts. They drank some of my beer and cider, our homemade sangria and the expensive tequila we bought. In return they provided us with friendship and entertainment and from experience I know they will provide us with some great hospitality in the next few months. One of them is an enthusiastic and superb cook and a great host. He doesn't brew and he doesn't have a tip jar.

Personally I see a difference between putting a tip jar out and a couple of mates offering something because they drank all your brew - a tip jar to me seems slightly insulting.

I wish I had friends to come to my house and drink beer with me :( :( :(

Well I'd visit ya and drink all your dark ales, but your always in Bundy these days - so I have to make my own :p .

I'm thinking of having a tip jar on my fridge just so the wife can pay for half of each bloody batch she drinks, but is always mysteriously too busy to help me make it. The 'can I help, dear' stopped long ago when I suggested she might wish to do the cleaning-up and maybe pay occasionally for the big sacks I bring home :) (she may even buy some grain one day)

The upside is that she'll drink any old rubbish, so the less-than great brews are still enjoyed by someone instead of being tipped down the drain. She's the only one I know who would happily face my high IBU, uncarbonated, infected dirty Amarillo Lager experiment without flinching.

[quoteI wish I had friends to come to my house and drink beer with me [/quote]

Party at Brad's place, everyone !

Latest posts

Back