Charcoal Webber Cooking For Xmas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have one the first weber's introduced australia.all i do is place the fire lighters and cover with required amount of heat beads(willow brand) lite and wait till there ready.then get get the cut of meat i am using coat in oil and place in weber..then cook as recommend..No salt on the pork either..

yeah ive been told it burns quicker...im going to get a bag of heat beads(briquettes) just to add to the mix so it burns longer..and low and slow cooking...what basting liquid mix does everyone use? and pork rubs? ive got one in mind what would like to know what others use...

i have one the first weber's introduced australia.all i do is place the fire lighters and cover with required amount of heat beads(willow brand) lite and wait till there ready.then get get the cut of meat i am using coat in oil and place in weber..then cook as recommend..No salt on the pork either..

Funny you mention this.

Couple of years ago buying my Webber and I notice Made in China is on the box, Made in Illinois is on the showroom Webber.

So I ask the guy what's going on. Turns out that's pretty much the last MiA Webber.

He sold be the US one in the showroom.

I'd be interested to see how the enamel is holding up on the Chinese ones...

yeah ive been told it burns quicker...im going to get a bag of heat beads(briquettes) just to add to the mix so it burns longer..and low and slow cooking...what basting liquid mix does everyone use? and pork rubs? ive got one in mind what would like to know what others use...

pork dry rubs are like opinions everyone has one and they all slightly different take a basic recipe of the net and adjust to your taste and go for it, as for basting i dont do it i have a disposable aluminium baking tray with a kettle full of boiling water in it and add bay leaves and rosemary as i have heaps in my garden.

The Mitre10 Mini Spit Roaster at $99 is way better than the Bunnings at $88

Larger plus adjustable height electric rotisserie not battery. Did lamb last night, while out for birthday drinks with a mate, piss easy cooking. Have a pork shoulder to do for Xmas Day, plus maybe smoke some prawns............yummmmm!

Screwy

Larger plus adjustable height electric rotisserie not battery. Did lamb last night, while out for birthday drinks with a mate, piss easy cooking. Have a pork shoulder to do for Xmas Day, plus maybe smoke some prawns............yummmmm!

Screwy

might have to buy one as a back up souvla !

Just knocked out my first pulled pork in the weber! bloody fantastic, but with room for improvement - guess I will have to try it a few more times

Check out "Masters" they have "Festiva" brand rotisseie's:- 240 volt for $59 and Battery for $49 that will fit BBQ with 2 to 6 burners and will hold up to 6kg meat

Cheers

wobbly

Barstewards :angry:

bought the last 2 from bexley, one for the brother in law to ensure i am well fed when i visit

they are shorter than the bunnings ones, so i guess i'll have to use the bunnings one for the suckling pig

Went to a bbq on sat night at a mates and his old boy cooked two gigantic pork loin roasts on the webber. Prob the best I have ever eaten and didnt notice any weird flavours from the charcoal. Although I did manage to drink about 12 or so before dinner....... so everything tasted pretty great.
Merry Christmas everybody! :icon_cheers:

bought the last 2 from bexley, one for the brother in law to ensure i am well fed when i visit

they are shorter than the bunnings ones, so i guess i'll have to use the bunnings one for the suckling pig

Well Done!

Screwy

alright fellas, bought diggers charcoal from bunnings, along with samba smoking chips (2 boxes....one is lamb and beef and the other poulty and pork), plus a basting brush and a couple more spit prongs....for anyone who has used diggers charcoal....would it be a wise idea to buy a pack of heat beads bbq briquettes just incase...or throw a few in for longer burning time? im normally cooking webbers in the garage with the backyard roller door fully open....just so the wind through the backyard doesnt make the charcoal burn out quicker...from previous cooking sessions ive found the charcoal lasts longer in the garage...5-6 hours compared to 2-3 in the backyard under the pergola....thoughts anyone or better ideas?

How did the turkey turn out ? How long did it take to cook ?

Screwy

Agreed!

I got about halfway through cutting a keg in half to make my own spit, went to Mitre 10 to buy a couple more cut off discs for the angle grinder & then I saw their $99 spit roaster. SOLD!

First time I've ever done my own spit & I must say the results were spectacular. Cooked a Pork loin stuffed with apple, apricots & macadamia nuts & here's a pic of it almost done...

xmas_spit_pork.jpg

Tasted F'ing superb!

so good that I've just bought another Pork loin to spit on Satdee for my B'day

First time I tried two-zone slow-cooking over charcoal on the Webber was Christmas day - turned out better (and easier) than I expected. Had to add more charcoal a few times, but that was easily done. Didn't monitor the exact temperature, it was simply as low as possible without putting out the burning coals.

The pulled pork cooked 3-2-1 was very good.
Christmas turkey was cooked for 5 hours wrapped in foil and the last hour out of the foil to get crispy skin - very moist and tender and perfectly cooked.
Surprisingly the meat did not get burned or overcooked.
I was also able to throw the potatoes, sweet potatoes and pumpkin (all wrapped in foil) on the hot-side for an hour-or-so to cook them too.

Well Done!

Screwy

christened the mitre 10 spit on news years eve, the bunnings one couldn't fit the suckler in depth, 4.5kg suckler, unfortunately i had to lose the head to fit it on

scored the skin, rubbed with heaps of salt and stuck it in the kegerator for 6 hours (can post a photo if someone wants to see the benefits of building a collar high enough :) )

3 hours before cooking time, washed the salt off, filled the belly with 2 heads of garlic cut in half, a bunch of shallots, heaps of star anise, a few cloves, heaps of szechuan peppercorns, heaps of dried chillies, some fennel seeds and then sewed it up and secured to the spit rod, basically hunan style, then rubbed chinese five spice and salt with a bit of oil on the skin and let it come to room temp

2 hours cooking time, starting medium, then higher in the last half hour, and my word was it the best way i've ever cooked pork, the flavours came through the most delicate, moist and tender flesh, and the skin was nice and crispy and full of salty spicy goodness, i'm doing this one again definitely

IMG_4624b.JPG

Back