Chainsaw Purchase in the USA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh said:
This is wrong. You only pay GST and Duty if the cost of goods is over A$1000.

eg If the chainsaw costs A$980 and shipping is A$240, you will not pay GST and Duty.
I don't know what it is supposed to be, but I've definitely been hit by this. Ordered items less than $1000, shipping put it over and was charged customs and GST. And it's kind of hard to argue when the customs officer / freight company is holding your goods and won't release it unless you pay. Just be prepared that it might happen, and if it does, it will be hundreds of dollars. Still worked out better for us, but was painful.

Not sure about hundreds of dollars - I bought my mrs an engagement ring from the US and customs picked it up and charged me about 16% (GST, duties and other charges), but I was expecting that. That was hundreds of dollars but only due to the large price I paid for the ring. A $1000 saw shouldn't cost more than $150~ in GST/duties etc. Obviously do your own research though and don't take my advice.

On the saw - that site seems seriously cheap, seems too good to be true. Are they really an authorised stihl dealer?? I was just contemplating buying myself an MS362 - that site lists them for a heap less than I can find here. I've seen heaps of chinese knockoffs that use genuine clutch covers and bars to make the saw look legit, so I'm skeptical of anything this cheap..

Reading the reviews of some of the saws listed on their site, the reviewers that mention where they bought their saws from didn't buy them from this site.. Hmm, weird..

EDIT: They are listed as an authorised dealer: http://www.stihlusa.com/Locator/Search (Search for postcode 93657 and they are the first result)

Anyway, for anyone who is interested.

I bought a MS 441 C Magnum. After shopping around got it locally. As part of the deal I got an extra bar, extra chain + free first service ($78).

Probably paid $300 more than I would importing it, but it now has a warranty (and how much is a new bar, chain etc).

This is a full pro saw and is by far the best saw I have ever used

Now,

Has anyone any experience with the higher end home, chipper / mulchers and log splitters ?

Tree stuff will send Husqvarnas direct into Oz. members on another forum I'm on have had them sent in successfully. Freight cost is about $100 on a $459 Husky 455 via FedEx. Works out about $300 less than retail here. Warranties will not be honoured here, serial nos have US identifier, as do Stihls.

Worth the risk IMO.

Latest posts

Back