Cc A Tripel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey all.
The Bel tripel i have had on primary for just about 2.5 months now (used wyeast trappist blend), has/is doing its pellicle thing and i plan to bottle over the next few weeks, however i was tempted to cold condition the beer for a couple of weeks in order to clear it right up.
Is this the done thing with this style of beer? Or should i just bottle from ambient?
Does the pellicle need to be completely dropped out before bottling? And will the beer continue to funk once bottled?
Cheers

Hey all.
The Bel tripel i have had on primary for just about 2.5 months now (used wyeast trappist blend), has/is doing its pellicle thing and i plan to bottle over the next few weeks, however i was tempted to cold condition the beer for a couple of weeks in order to clear it right up.
Is this the done thing with this style of beer? Or should i just bottle from ambient?
Does the pellicle need to be completely dropped out before bottling? And will the beer continue to funk once bottled?
Cheers

Is there suspended yeast? what are you hoping the cold conditioning will achieve?

I'd bottle it now, it'll continue to develop in the bottle but isn't that the joy of it. I prefer the orval style beers at the younger stage of their lifetime then when the brett. is not completely done. What you'll find is after some time it'll probably hit a sweet spot in the bottle and be delicious.

If you want to C/C I'm sure it'll be ok, I'm not sure if it'll drop the brett. out and so you may potentially get a small pellicle reform in the bottle anyway.

Cheers
Q

Is there suspended yeast? what are you hoping the cold conditioning will achieve?

I'd bottle it now, it'll continue to develop in the bottle but isn't that the joy of it. I prefer the orval style beers at the younger stage of their lifetime then when the brett. is not completely done. What you'll find is after some time it'll probably hit a sweet spot in the bottle and be delicious.

If you want to C/C I'm sure it'll be ok, I'm not sure if it'll drop the brett. out and so you may potentially get a small pellicle reform in the bottle anyway.

Cheers
Q

There doesnt appear to be any old yeastie bits floating about, from what i can tell.
I did a hydro reading before and its smack on 1010, not bad from 1075-80.
I am tempted to give it a couple of weeks at 4 deg, just so it clears right out, and as you said Q, it could pellicle in the bottle, which wouldnt worry me. They will be conditioned for a couple of months before i drink em.

Pellicle?
Did you introduce Brett on purpose, or, like me, you just have Brett all thru your belgian fermenters, now?

Pellicle?
Did you introduce Brett on purpose, or, like me, you just have Brett all thru your belgian fermenters, now?
he said he used Wyeast Trappist which has belgian Sacch and Brett in it.

Who's Brett and why is he putting Pellicle in your beer?

Good lord! So it does.
Thats gonna be a nice suprise in every other beer after this, then, innit!

LOL, i will keep that carboy just for them beer styles.. a flanders red loaded with roselare is going to follow this tripel veeery fast.

Sorry if this is a totally absurd question, but cant you just clean/sanitise the fermenter to get rid of it?

Sorry if this is a totally absurd question, but cant you just clean/sanitise the fermenter to get rid of it?
Theoretically, yes.
In my experience, no.
:D
See my sig... all recent brews turned brett eventually. Not that that is a bad thing.

LOL, i will keep that carboy just for them beer styles.. a flanders red loaded with roselare is going to follow this tripel veeery fast.
{tears} a man after my own heart! (refer my sig)
I started using the crap from the bottom of Orval bottles last year, and made a beer I thought was so awesome Im only brewing with brett from now on!
When I last looked the Rosie was out of stock.
Sounds awesome, tho.

It is said that you can just sterilise/scrub/clean etc and it should be right to brew other beers in, but i wouldnt chance it.
I was actually amazed at how potent the brett strain can be.
I usually have a couple of 2L coke bottles laying around that i use when i clear the sediment off the tap from diff brews (before i take a hydro sample), and i had about half a bottle full of assorted beers, and 2 weeks ago i checked the gravity on my tripel... and yesterday i was giving the garage a clean out, and went to chuck the bottle in the bin and noticed a pellicle had started!! :eek:
Didnt take long at all.. and only a capful went in!
Im guessing it would hide in every nook an cranny.
If you do funky beers, id advise keeping to the same carboys, same goes for buckets/tubes etc. Only my 2c though.

It is said that you can just sterilise/scrub/clean etc and it should be right to brew other beers in, but i wouldnt chance it.
I was actually amazed at how potent the brett strain can be.
I usually have a couple of 2L coke bottles laying around that i use when i clear the sediment off the tap from diff brews (before i take a hydro sample), and i had about half a bottle full of assorted beers, and 2 weeks ago i checked the gravity on my tripel... and yesterday i was giving the garage a clean out, and went to chuck the bottle in the bin and noticed a pellicle had started!! :eek:
Didnt take long at all.. and only a capful went in!
Im guessing it would hide in every nook an cranny.
If you do funky beers, id advise keeping to the same carboys, same goes for buckets/tubes etc. Only my 2c though.

I think Kook does that as well. A separate piece of equipment for regular/special beers.

{tears} a man after my own heart! (refer my sig)
I started using the crap from the bottom of Orval bottles last year, and made a beer I thought was so awesome Im only brewing with brett from now on!
When I last looked the Rosie was out of stock.
Sounds awesome, tho.

Crafties have rosie in stock beefy!
I was thinking of doing a 20L batch of FR, and dividing between 4 glass demijohns, and adding a small amount of woodchips in each, (bourbon, whiskey, rum etc) And leavin them sit for 12 months.. :icon_drool2:

Crafties have rosie in stock beefy!
I was thinking of doing a 20L batch of FR, and dividing between 4 glass demijohns, and adding a small amount of woodchips in each, (bourbon, whiskey, rum etc) And leavin them sit for 12 months.. :icon_drool2:
Sounds liek time to put an order in, then!
What exactly is IN Rosie?

Sounds liek time to put an order in, then!
What exactly is IN Rosie?

Wyeast 3763PC Roeselare Ale - Manufactured 25th January 2010.
A blend of lambic cultures including lactic bacteria. Produces beers with a complex, earthy profile and distinct pie cherry sourness from a Brettanomyces culture. Aging for up to 18 months is required for full flavor profile and acidity to develop. Will produce a very dry profile due to super-attenuative nature of mixed cultures.
Beer Styles: Lambics, Geuze, Fruit Lambic, Flanders Red Ale.

man i can't wait for the next sour beer swap!!! :icon_drool2:

Back