Cc A Tripel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
{tears} a man after my own heart! (refer my sig)
I started using the crap from the bottom of Orval bottles last year, and made a beer I thought was so awesome Im only brewing with brett from now on!
:D

Hi Beefy, I've got a bottle of Orval in the fridge at home. From memory the bottling date is around July 2009, I assume that that the yeast (ie Brett) in this should still be OK? I bought this specifically to get some Brett, just haven't got around to drinking it yet, i need a quiet time without kids so that I can enjoy it.

Once I've cultured up enough for a brew, what do you recommend that I make with it? I see that you've got an Orval clone in the secondary right now, do you have a recipe for it?

Hazard

You dont need to culture it.
Just pour your self an awesome Orval except for the last 1".
Swish this around till it is cloudy as milk and all the sediment is off the bottom.
Then just tip the contents in your already fermented beer. Let it sit for a month or so. Will munch down on the remaining sugars and gravity should drop by another 10 points or so. Do not be alarmed if you get a hydro reading of less than 1000!
Just be aware of what you are introducing to your brewery.

SW is right. althoug if you want to culture it up, it means you can split it and have some brett hanging around for next time.....that is if it doesnt hang around in your fermentor!

Back