Castle Hill Home brew Competition 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
According to the venerable Castle Hill Show Society, this year's home brew comp will be: "The 2013-14 Competition is scheduled to be held on 24-25 August, 2013"

Somewhat deafening silence on the forum here. With August sneaking around before we know it and thus only about ten weeks to go, hardly even enough to do a respectable lager, what's happening this year?

Noice

I have a few entries that I would like to put in this one

cool, need some critical analysis, my neighbor telling me he likes my beer is no longer giving me the sounding board I need,

just about to brew a Belgian pale (single) but not seeing it in the categories, wondering if I could I slip that in as an oatmeal stout?

under the bjcp its 16b
dont know what it is in the aabc though

The BPA is under Pale Ales 6.4

Hic! i dun care, C.R.A.F.T, Hic!
Moore Beeer-Moooore BEEEERR Hic!

It this NSW Comp 2013 ?!? The reason I ask is that if you in the top 3 in beer styles in this comp then you go into the Australian Homebrewing Comp ?!?
I'm only asking because I've not been to one yet. So someone give some answers. If so,the Light hybrid style,Pale Ale & Wheat beer is ok for this comp.
Thanks.

yes thats how it works.
styles and more info to come shortly.

could anyone locate the entry form/ flyer for the comp? where to send, costs and details..

details should be out shortly mate, stus just finalising some of the details.

Madmatty said:
It this NSW Comp 2013 ?!? The reason I ask is that if you in the top 3 in beer styles in this comp then you go into the Australian Homebrewing Comp ?!?
I'm only asking because I've not been to one yet. So someone give some answers. If so,the Light hybrid style,Pale Ale & Wheat beer is ok for this comp.
Thanks.
Light Hybrid: Do you mean pale hybrid? If so that's 6.1 (Cream ale), 6.3 (Kölsch) or 4.3 (California Common/ Steam beer)
For Pale Ale, there are several varieties there.
Wheat Beer - yes, a few categories for those too.

I look forward to judging some of your beer, Madmatty!

My sack of Maris Otter arrived today.

Watch out lads :super: :super:

quick question. if i'm looking to enter a pale ale, when would theoretically be the best time to brew it, given entries need to be submitted by 25th august? do most people brew asap (style dependent of course), or within a month or so, given it needs approx 2 weeks to bottle condition?

fletcher said:
quick question. if i'm looking to enter a pale ale, when would theoretically be the best time to brew it, given entries need to be submitted by 25th august? do most people brew asap (style dependent of course), or within a month or so, given it needs approx 2 weeks to bottle condition?
How long until your beer is at it's peak, after brewing?

Proabably best to use that time-frame, to maximise your beer flavour profile for the judging.

If it's a fairly quickly maturing beer like an English Best Bitter or a Mild, you can brew a couple of months in advance, bottle, then when the beer is at its peak you can put it into cryo in the fridge until it's time to enter it in the comp.
Most beers however such as APAs and Aussie Pales seem to hold very well in the bottle - with the comp now about two months away you should have no problem with any of the styles, really.

I'm entering a couple of lagers - one of them, the Aussie, is still in the cube waiting for the cold fridge, but two months is ideal, I doubt if VB gets that long. :p

What Bribie G said, at this stage brew nearly all styles now. Weizens maybe in few weeks time.

woo nice. i'll get onto mine soon then :) thanks guys.

EDIT: after reading what can be entered, where it says three entries per category, does that mean that i could enter three American IPAs for example? or would it have to be three individual styles in that particular category?

Latest posts

Back