Carlton Draught AG recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaypes said:
Besides he wants to help make it as well (He's a kit brewer)
Yes, take him to the dark side :)

re mash schedule, yes the German Hochkurz mash goes 62 - 72 - 78 and would definitely account for the nice head on most Pils brews.
I'd imagined that the 63-78 mash would produce a more fermentable wort with less emphasis on the head - most Aussie Pub beers have low heads.
However when you think about it, using the schedule suggested by /// you skip over that 62 sacch rest and go straight to the Dex Rest then..

The added cane sugars act as if they are the 62 rest. (edit: rephrase that: the added cane sugars provide fermentables that sort of mimic what you would have got with a 62 or 63 rest)

Boom Tish - penny drops - thank's /// will do this next time.

I recently did a "what have I got" brew with some Pills/carapils maybe some wheat low hop bill and us-04 mashed around 65 with a 90min boil (for the pils malt) and before I dry hopped my keg it could have been classed as a Carlton draught type of beer. The us-04 is an english ale yeast but with medium Attenuation and high Flocculation it cleared my beers out nicely.

I'm all for peoples own taste but I'd highly recommend introducing this person to better class of beers so next time you brew something for him you can also like to drink it :)

-GAv

Bribie G said:
The CUB tap beer I really like is Reschs Draught, it has some hop character and a tiny bit of roast barley to give it that darker gold colour. May have mentioned that last year at Woolgoolga Diggers I drank some Paulaner then straight into the bar for a few Reschs and it held its head up proudly. Sadly it's gone from most NSW pubs, squeezed out by Fat Yak, Coopers and James Squire tap contracts.
I'm with you. If I see Reschs on tap in a typical non-craft pub and there isn't something like a Coopers or Matilda Bay then I'll happily drink that instead.

I'd guess it's one of those 'heritage' beers that they have just continued to crank out and crank out relatively unchanged since the 1970s or earlier. Why fix what ain't broke. Another good one is Melbourne Bitter - has a definite hop nose and some maltiness.

hey

Sorry to bring back an oldie, but i have a question and want to have a stab at a aussie style draught.

Is Cane Sugar- white sugar, raw sugar, brown sugar or something else?

Also when do you add the sugar?

Cheers :chug:

OT but I've found Reschs Original Draught just 20 mins from where I live at the Coopernook Hotel just North of Taree. :chug: There is a God.

On topic, I wouldn't even put the sugar in the boil, just add it as a syrup into the FV as I'm sure CUB do. If you are going to dispose of trub after the boil, why waste good sugar by disposing of sweetened trub. B)

"cane sugar" is just sucrose. In many parts of the world nowadays sucrose is made from Sugar Beet and the name "cane" sugar was introduced by the likes of Tate and Lyle to give some sort of cachet to their imported product (tropical, sunshine, jamaica etc). Just sucrose.

I've read in numerous threads and from good advice that BB pale malt is the malt to use. I've got JW pilsner and ale malt in stock and Cheeky Peak only do BB in on special order. I've got many mates here in my home town who are Carlton Draught devotees - dead-set haven't been able to get a VB on tap here for the life of me. It's like the Victorians don't drink it. Anyway...

Planning to brew this weekend following standard above advice but don't have BB pale. Do I use -
  • JW pils
  • Mix of JW pils and JW ale
  • Weyermann pils
  • Gladfields ale
Remembering I'm trying to go for CD. Yes maybe we can all make better beer with ale yeast, specialty malts, Amarillo blah blah but I'm targeting the delicate CUB mouse piss and little in the way of anything else.

If none of the above are suitable then I'm bailing on it and doing a XXXX Bitter clone with my leftover Cluster flowers, oh baby.

jaypes said:
I have been asked by my bro-in-law for a Carlton Draught clone, anyone here have a good recipe that they can share?

I did search but most of the hits that came back were "worst beers you've ever tasted"
Yes, I have succeeded in replicating this beer, albeit by accident. Although I don't have records of the exact recipe I can tell you the following.

Malt: Use BB ale malt (not lager malt), plus a small percentage of medium crystal - say 5%
Hops: Use Pride of Ringwood pellets at 60mins only - to around 20ibu
Yeast: Use Wy2042 and ferment at the right temperature, fermentation temperature control is critical.

This produced a fine example of an Aussie Draught lager beer, very, very similar to Carlton Draught.

Despite what others may say, to copy a standard draught lager and get it right is a great achievement and a great sense of satisfaction of accomplishment and not something most home brewers can do. Carlton Draught is a long, long way from one of favourite beers but is nevertheless a well brewed beer with exceptional consistency.

EDIT: This is an old topic, but I hope someone might get some useful information from my post and succeed

Would you mash single infusion at about 64 or 65?

TheWiggman said:
Planning to brew this weekend following standard above advice but don't have BB pale. Do I use -
  • JW pils
  • Mix of JW pils and JW ale
  • Weyermann pils
  • Gladfields ale
*cough*

Using BB ale malt you don't have to add sugar. For example many of the "all malt" lagers (including the dreadful Brewers Brite from the old Bluetongue brewery, now defunct) don't actually taste all that malty. However sugar would give that really dry quaffability-on-a-hot-day effect that you get in many brews such as Blondes, xtra dry and lo carb megaswills.

I'm with Bribie on this one, the sugar is used at commercial brewing level in much the same way as dilution is used. To max out the brewhouse to maximize return. Sugar is not part of the flavor profile anyway.

You can produce nice dry lagers on a home brewing level without sugar. Use a lager malt which is lightly kilned, minimal use of crystal malts, a mash temp of 65-66C for 90mins and a 1 hour boil (longer for more colour/caramelisation) and a yeast which attenuates well.

I got a sixth place in this years vic brew comp in the Aussie lager category I used wyeast 2124 fermented at 19c from start to finish it was done in four days filtered it kegged it lagered it for a few weeks used 90% pils 7% crystal 3% cane sugar. 90 min boil POR hops at 90 min 28 IBUs. go figure ?
Cheers!

haven't made one yet

but one that I tried and seemed ok to me was a simple
4kg JW ale
400 g sugarz
POR at 60 to 20 to 22 IBU
mash at 63 ish

tried it at 18 degrees with us 05 and 10 degrees with 34/70 and 18 degrees with s-189

they were all fine (tried at different times), the recipe owner thought the s-189 was his preference but was going to stick with us05 as it was easier for his temp control.

Latest posts

Back