Carlton Draught AG recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm not sure if I'm invisible or all you bullies just chose to ignore me, but I chickened out and am doing a XXXX Bitter clone instead.
Cheeky Peak are getting a bag of BB pale malt in for me, a few weeks away but will do my next lager with that as recommended.
For now I'm off to my room to play Dungeons & Dragons with my online REAL friends...

You should download a couple of Steam games and really improve your social standing. Are you using Cluster in the XXXX?

Ahh if only there were time for games when you have to brew.

Main differences -

XXXX Bitter
JW pilsner* malt, 250g light crystal, 350g sugaz, Cluster at 60 mins (and maybe some late, I love me some Cluster)

Carlton Draught
BB pale malt, 350g sugaz, PoR at 60 mins

Both with 2042.
They're similar but hey, that's Aussie lagers for you. If I'm after a CD clone then I want something that tastes like CD, as opposed to something similar but maybe better. Or worse, shudder.
* My first effort with MHB-sourced MEU(?) malt made a closer beer, I'm thinking JW pils isn't the best for it.

Inspired by this magnificent thread a couple of days ago I whipped up a mega lager, 40L batch to fill two kegs.

BB pale 75% of gravity
Mix of white and raw supermarket sugar 25% of gravity

To an OG of 1047

Single addition of latest season POR pellets to 23 IBU that could be a bit overkill, but I used to enjoy the distinct bitterness of the old time Carlton Draught before it became wanky "Brewery fresh".

For yeast, I had sachets of Brewcraft Premium Lager yeast and Brewcraft European Lager yeasts I got from the LHBS. I've never used either so I just mixed them, rehydrated, and they are hammering away in good health at 18 (garage ambient)

Ten days at ambient then I'll lager for ten at near freezing.

I just got back from t'club where I had a couple of VBs. Quite enjoyed them believe it or not, for what they are.

edit: looking at another old thread I reckon I've probably got myself a mix of S-23 and W 34/70. Let the best yeast win :)

To the lords of hombrew wisdom - brand new here... just signed up to post on this thread!

Been hombrewing for a few months, mostly pale ales and porters. You guys inspired me to try my first lager to impress my mates (with no taste in good beers) with the carlton clone which was as posted early on. I mostly followed the recipe but made a few changes - a half batch made with extract:

Recipe:
Batch Size (L): 13L
Total Grain (kg): 1kg light LME
Cane Sugar (kg): Argh can't remember sorry (just enough to bring OG up)
Total Hops (g): 12.00 Pride of Ringwood
Yeast: 1 packet S-23
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
Method:
60min Hops boil with fast chill down to 13'C
Pitched rehydrated yeast S-23
Fermented at 13°C for five days
Diacytel rested slowly up to 19°C over four days
Lagered at 0°C for ten days only.

But my problem is this...

I was ready to bottle after the 10 day lager but I measured the SG to find its still 1020! Foolishly I hadn't checked garvity until now. It tastes nice and clean but very sweet, so definately still fermentables in there. Here's where I need your help:

1. Had I have been checking SG occasionally, would I have waited for a certain SG before diacytel rest or a certain SG before the lager phase? I was kinda flying blind
2. What should I do - keep lagering? How long? Will the gravity continue to drop? Should I warm it back up to 13'C? Repitch yeast? Let the cat piss in it?

I think it has potential to be good. Just need damage control.

Cheers

P.S. feels good to finally post after months of reading this forum.

75:25 Pale/dextrose
20 IBU POR, single bittering addition.
15 million cells ml W-34/70, fermented at 15-17C.
Mash and ferment as dry as your skills and equipment will allow.

Back