Candi Sygar V's Table (beet) Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but wouldn't it be easier to make your dark Candi Sugar from Golden Syrup as its about halfway converted for you and most likely beet sugar too ? :excl:

Or is it not as easy as first thoughts?

I doubt it will invert any more .

i am more concerned with the colour and flavour components produced by darkening the sugar than
how invert the sugar is. Read about some of the uses for invert sugar and why it is used in Industries like cake making etc..

Regards

Graeme

Yeah - like he said. Focus on what's important; the flavour compounds.

Get over the whole "invert" thing - the yeast will ferment it either way.

If you buy Lyles Brand Golden Syrup it is most likely invert sugar made from beet anyway.

Most of Europe's Sugar comes from Sugar Beet. If its white sugar then no different from cane sugar anyway. ( or very little difference ).

I can confirm that. Nearly all our refined white sugar is from sugar beet. And would be hardly any different to white sugar made from sugar cane.

While on this subject I notice the claim that some golden syrup is in fact inverted. I use the plain ole aussie CSR Golden Syrup in some beers and it seems to come out quite well,

Many moons ago I performed some experiments to try and nail down the source of that cidery flavour that everyone objects to. I concluded that fructose was the culprit (try some pure fructose for yourself). Now in the course of all this testing, I also tried some home-made invert sucrose using citric acid, and concluded that it didn't eliminate the cidery note. An alternative possibility, however, is that my inversion didn't go to completion, except that even if it had worked I would still have wound up with about 50% fructose. Interestingly, Aussie golden syrup made appropriately dry beer, and the light caramel is a nice touch. I concluded that it was probably glucose, but I haven't verified that and could be wrong. If it actually is invert, then it seems to me that it would be just the ticket for pale Belgian brews, and a lot easier than the home-made variety (as well as being pH neutral). There remains the further possibility of cooking the syrup to try and darken it.

The belgians use invert to boost the OG without producing off flavours from the yeast having to break the bond in the sucrose.

The question arises why yeast-facilitated breakdown of one disaccharide (sucrose) to monosaccharides would result in off-flavours, whereas breakdown of another (maltose) does not. Sure, different enzymes are involved, but the principle is awfully similar. Dave Miller says the culprit is fructose, and I'm inclined to agree with him. Further, Acton & Duncan (a pair of fairly scientific winemaking authors) say sucrose will spontaneously hydrolyse at a slow rate in air, so I'm curious about some of these suggestions that heat and acidity may not be enough to take the reaction mostly to completion.

Back