Candi Sygar V's Table (beet) Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't those proteins then influence the way that the sugar is broken down by the yeast?

Maybe ... but the most important thing about candy syrup is its inverted and its caramalised .. if its not clear.
I think the beet sugar thing is a furphy. It just happens that in the EU sugar comes from beet. Not many suitable places to grow sugar cane. :)

People

I just made some dark candi sugar for a dubbel I've got planned for the weekend

After cooling for a little while SWMBO and I tried some

And there are some horrible burnt flavours in it - not pleasant at all

I bascially dissolved normal sugar with some citric acid in water and heated it

I held it between Hard Ball and Soft Crack for about 40 mins - brought it up to hard crack and turned it off

I'm gonna make another batch for a shorter time (not as dark) - but what caused these off flavours?

Is there something wrong in my method?

Has anyone tasted their dark candi sugar? What did it taste like?

Cheers

People

I just made some dark candi sugar for a dubbel I've got planned for the weekend

After cooling for a little while SWMBO and I tried some

And there are some horrible burnt flavours in it - not pleasant at all

I bascially dissolved normal sugar with some citric acid in water and heated it

I held it between Hard Ball and Soft Crack for about 40 mins - brought it up to hard crack and turned it off

I'm gonna make another batch for a shorter time (not as dark) - but what caused these off flavours?

Is there something wrong in my method?

Has anyone tasted their dark candi sugar? What did it taste like?

Cheers

I did not add citric acid to mine. I cooked it for at least 3 hours. It does not have any off or burnt flavours.
I also have a bottle of the dark candi syrup and it has much more intense flavours than what I made.

Regards

Graeme

I have read that you should keep it going on the boil untill you get the 'desired flavour'.
Presumably this flavour is then imparted to some degree into the brew.

Haven't tried mine yet (tasted like toffee) so really don't know.

A kilo of sugar is cheap though so might be worth trying it again with less citric?

Best of luck.

Upon tasting again it's more of a really bitter taste

I wonder if I went over board with the citric acid

There is something really unpleasant about it

Gonna finish off a job i'm working on and then have another crack at it tonight

Might try not going as dark, stirring more and more gradual temperature changes

Cheers

Sounds to me like some of the sugar may have caught and scorched, cortez. The bitter edge is the giveaway that this is likely. I think your right with more stirring, and more gradual temperature shifting.

Keep in mind it still keeps cooking for a while after you cut the heat. This has caught me before, and I ended up with pretty dark stuff.

If it looks like it's gone too far, dump it on a tray with a bunch of peanuts or other nuts. It's basically peanut brittle, and tastes great.

I was fortunate enough to recently get may hands on a couple of kilos of beet sugar imported from Belgium. I'm planning on inverting it myself but was wondering if I need to approach the process differently than say cane sugar?

I'm planning on using the method linked here

I was fortunate enough to recently get may hands on a couple of kilos of beet sugar imported from Belgium. I'm planning on inverting it myself but was wondering if I need to approach the process differently than say cane sugar?

I'm planning on using the method linked here

I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the citric acid is not required to invert the sugar.
I'll try and find where I read it.

C&B
TDA

I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the citric acid is not required to invert the sugar.
I'll try and find where I read it.

C&B
TDA

Thanks for the link TDA you pm'd. I may try it without the citric and aim for a light golden candi sugar tonight.

I was fortunate enough to recently get may hands on a couple of kilos of beet sugar imported from Belgium.

Begs the question... how? how? how? how? how? :eek:

I hope we shan't be seeing you as the feature story on Border Security? :p

Warren -

Begs the question... how? how? how? how? how? :eek:

I hope we shan't be seeing you as the feature story on Border Security? :p

Warren -

From a friend of a friend who knows a guy that knows some other guys sister who is going out with a DJ who knows some guy. B)

If you buy Lyles Brand Golden Syrup it is most likely invert sugar made from beet anyway.

Most of Europe's Sugar comes from Sugar Beet. If its white sugar then no different from cane sugar anyway. ( or very little difference ).

If you buy Lyles Brand Golden Syrup it is most likely invert sugar made from beet anyway.

Most of Europe's Sugar comes from Sugar Beet. If its white sugar then no different from cane sugar anyway. ( or very little difference ).

It certainly will not have the same flavour components as candi sugar, especially candi sugar in darker colours eg amber and dark.
Golden Syrup is not fully inverted , neither will the beet sugar or ordinary sugar.

In my opinion if you are not making amber or dark there is little point in trying to invert sugar for Belgian style beers. Just use ordinary white sugar.
I have a jar of "Belgian Candi Syrup" Dark purchased from Morebeer. Tastes nothing like Golden Syrup.

Regards

Graeme

Yes but wouldn't it be easier to make your dark Candi Sugar from Golden Syrup as its about halfway converted for you and most likely beet sugar too ? :excl:

Or is it not as easy as first thoughts?

Latest posts

Back