Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Belgian Candi Sugar - CONFUSED!!

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by steveski, 4/10/18.

1. Redreuben

Posted 16/10/18
    Only going in what I've read recently after reading this topic it appears that getting colour from the Maillard reactions rather than caramelisation is the key to more complex flavours so on that front this method is spot on, questions still remain wether beet sugar is the key to authenticity and perhaps which "chemical" is used to raise the ph to the Maillard zone.

2. goatchop41

Posted 16/10/18
    Yeah mate. You'll see that this one of the recommended sites to look at in the link that I posted near the start of the thread

altone and ABG like this.
  3. dan@twtr_dan

Posted 16/10/18
    I think with my limited research on undertaking the process; research, procuring beet sugar (buy + delivery, small amount of consumables, and making it (if successful)) based on batch size.. my view is to buy the finished product. If you cost it up, it probably does'nt save that much money based on what I had calculated for equal / less than for a 60 litre batch of triple for instance. And instead of wasting all that time and investment, get back into brewing something else / or the brew you are working on.

Last edited: 16/10/18
  4. goatchop41

Posted 17/10/18
    Sums it up quite nicely. The time, effort and relative cost aren't worth it

5. altone

Kept man
    Posted 17/10/18
    That may be true, but brewing isn't really about being cost effective.
    For me at least it's about trying new processes and ingredients - learning about the whole range of options.

And if I can make a reasonable alternative to the dark Belgian candi that's out of stock at my LHBS then surely that's a good thing.

To me it is, and I might just somehow manage to add that medal winning difference to my brew.

Ok, that's pretty unlikely but still - different is often good.

6. Redreuben

Posted 17/10/18
    I know a guy on his third boat, hardly goes sailing just likes building yachts.
    I love to diy up to a point, and the point is when I struggle to get close to a bought item especially when that bought item is relatively cheap. Why struggle ?
    However if the item is rare, expensive or has no acceptable substitute, I’ll have a go.

altone likes this.
  7. Brewman_

AHB Sponsor AHB Sponsor

Posted 17/10/18
    Brewman is a retailer that sells these syrups. Just being up front.

Not an add, but I'd like to say a couple of things

A general philosophy. We try to stock things that you might need to make beers of a certain style, be that malts of the region, hops of the region, yeast of the style - all Wyeast is stocked, - Candy syrups included. We don't plan to take shortcuts on ingredients. We stock the Candy because in my opinion it is essential.

That is a general philosophy I follow when I brew also.

The products are authentic. They do make a difference.

Wherever you get your gear, try the authentic Candy.

Cheers Steve

Denobrew, gap and MHB like this.