Belgian Candi Sugar - CONFUSED!!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only going in what I've read recently after reading this topic it appears that getting colour from the Maillard reactions rather than caramelisation is the key to more complex flavours so on that front this method is spot on, questions still remain wether beet sugar is the key to authenticity and perhaps which "chemical" is used to raise the ph to the Maillard zone.

This same discussion keeps being had about once a year for the decade or I have been on AHB.
Good to see a few people getting the idea that there is a wealth of difference between Invert Sugar and Candi Sugar (solid or syrup).
Invert is simply Sucrose split into Glucose and Fructose, yeast is quite capable of doing this itself, by producing the enzyme Invertase. There is no point in making invert to feed to yeast, if you caramelise it to add colour/flavour (this is what Golden Syrup and Treacle are) that's a different conversation.
But and its a serious but, this isn't and never will be Belgian Candi or any other sort of candi for that matter.

Candi Sugar is made from the juice of Sugar Beet (Beet Sugar), think of starting with Sugar Cane Juice and you would be a lot closer than trying to get there with refined (or even semi refined - raw sugar). Juice contains hundreds (perhaps thousands) of compounds other than just Sucrose, important among these are organic acids, proteins, vitamins, mineral salts....
Controlled heating and concentration will cause lots of reactions, including Inversion, but most significantly Maillard Reactions (condensations between Sugars and Amino acids) there are the typical darkening reactions in everything from making Roast Barley, even coffee, toast... almost all form of cooking really.

The two big differences between Invert Syrup and Candi are Complexity and Price. No doubt about it Candi costs a lot more, but if you match it against an equivalent Invert it tastes a hell of a lot better - and frankly those are your choices.
Mark

I just wish people would quit calling Invert, Belgian Candi it isn't, call it what it is "Invert Sugar"
Mark
I think with my limited research on undertaking the process; research, procuring beet sugar (buy + delivery, small amount of consumables, and making it (if successful)) based on batch size.. my view is to buy the finished product. If you cost it up, it probably does'nt save that much money based on what I had calculated for equal / less than for a 60 litre batch of triple for instance. And instead of wasting all that time and investment, get back into brewing something else / or the brew you are working on.

Last edited:
Sums it up quite nicely. The time, effort and relative cost aren't worth it

That may be true, but brewing isn't really about being cost effective.
For me at least it's about trying new processes and ingredients - learning about the whole range of options.

And if I can make a reasonable alternative to the dark Belgian candi that's out of stock at my LHBS then surely that's a good thing.

To me it is, and I might just somehow manage to add that medal winning difference to my brew.

Ok, that's pretty unlikely but still - different is often good.

I know a guy on his third boat, hardly goes sailing just likes building yachts.
I love to diy up to a point, and the point is when I struggle to get close to a bought item especially when that bought item is relatively cheap. Why struggle ?
However if the item is rare, expensive or has no acceptable substitute, I’ll have a go.

Brewman is a retailer that sells these syrups. Just being up front.

Not an add, but I'd like to say a couple of things

A general philosophy. We try to stock things that you might need to make beers of a certain style, be that malts of the region, hops of the region, yeast of the style - all Wyeast is stocked, - Candy syrups included. We don't plan to take shortcuts on ingredients. We stock the Candy because in my opinion it is essential.

That is a general philosophy I follow when I brew also.

The products are authentic. They do make a difference.

Wherever you get your gear, try the authentic Candy.

Cheers Steve

Back