Belgian candi sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taz67

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been trying to source clear belgian candi to Brew a Duvel. Most brewshops sell syrup at a pretty high price. I'm after 2kilos. Does anyone brew with a substitute for rock candi? I don't believe table sugar would work. Any thoughts brew brothers?

I've often wondered how rock sugar from Asian grocers would work as a substitute. Maybe someone has tried that?

I've used table sugar loads of times in duvel clones, or other high gravity beers. I just flipped through Radical Brewing and Mosher's recipe for a golden strong is just pilsener malt and corn sugar.

Beerco (greater Melbourne based) also sell the range Belgian Candi syrups which is more traditional than rock candi.
Not sure if they are a sponsor here, but you should be able to find them with a quick google.

Hi all. I've been trying to source clear belgian candi to Brew a Duvel. Most brewshops sell syrup at a pretty high price. I'm after 2kilos. Does anyone brew with a substitute for rock candi? I don't believe table sugar would work. Any thoughts brew brothers?
Table sugar works just fine.

Our beer club has a brew challenge for next week where you had to use Candi Syrup which I also got from Beerco. I also had a crack at making some myself which worked ok (but was laborious) so I added both to my brew.

However, I've also been reading Brew Like A Monk and it appears a lot of the Belgian Trappists use sugar now anyway.

I would agree that in a pale Belgian normal white sugar will work well. It won’t be exactly the same but close.

Yeast is very good at eating sugar in fact the scientific name for yeast, Saccharomyces literally means Sugar Eating.
There is no benefit in inverting or otherwise modifying normal sugar.
My first choice would be to dissolve it in boiling water, allow to cool and add it to the ferment when the SG has dropped by about what you are adding. Just to lower the OG of the brew reducing stress on the yeast.

One other point that is important. You can make Candi Sugar or Syrup at home; it just won’t be Belgian Candi syrup. That is made from Beet Sugar not Cane Sugar (not to mention that this isn’t Belgian) and they aren’t the same. Especially when you get to the darker versions. If you think it will be taste test Treacle and Dark Candi side by side.
Mark

You could go full send and make your own from scratch.
Probably on a par with growing your own barley. Or coffee.

Like, you'd have to be really, really keen, but totally doable.

I would agree that in a pale Belgian normal white sugar will work well. It won’t be exactly the same but close.

Yeast is very good at eating sugar in fact the scientific name for yeast, Saccharomyces literally means Sugar Eating.
There is no benefit in inverting or otherwise modifying normal sugar.
My first choice would be to dissolve it in boiling water, allow to cool and add it to the ferment when the SG has dropped by about what you are adding. Just to lower the OG of the brew reducing stress on the yeast.

One other point that is important. You can make Candi Sugar or Syrup at home; it just won’t be Belgian Candi syrup. That is made from Beet Sugar not Cane Sugar (not to mention that this isn’t Belgian) and they aren’t the same. Especially when you get to the darker versions. If you think it will be taste test Treacle and Dark Candi side by side.
Mark
I remember having a conversation with you years ago at your old shop about making an Aussie Candi sugar using fresh sugar cane juice
Did you ever get around to doing that?

Had a bit of a play, tasted like raw sugar mixed with molasses. Not surprising really.
if you are making a dark Belgian beer, go with the original Belgian dark candi syrup.
Mark

Latest posts

Back