Candi, Beet And Cane Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice colour Randy, also what size batch are putting 1kg of the dark in?

Hey Guys,

well i didnt have enough time to put down a brew this weekend and still wanted to do something brewing related so i made me some candi sugar, i knew there would be a post around here somewhere on the subject...

Excellent looking sugar Rob. Be sure to report back the results of the finished beer. I'd be most anxious to see how it went. :beerbang:

Warren -

Hey Guys,

well i didnt have enough time to put down a brew this weekend and still wanted to do something brewing related so i made me some candi sugar, i knew there would be a post around here somewhere on the subject...

made up 3 x 500g batches here are some piccies:

Rob.

Rob - just a query on adding the candi sugar to the boil. Did you revert it to liquid or just drop the chunk into the kettle?

Cheers, Hoges.

Nice colour Randy, also what size batch are putting 1kg of the dark in?

Hey Mate, just a standard batch. i wouldn't call this stuff the dark, pictures show it darker than it acutally is.

here's the recipe (had a hand from a mate that make some pretty awesome belgiun beers.)

=================

Belgian Strong Golden Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.00
Anticipated OG: 1.068 Plato: 16.58
Anticipated EBC: 9.0
Anticipated IBU: 28.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
42.9 3.00 kg. Ale Malt 1.038 7
42.9 3.00 kg. Pilsner Malt 1.037 3
14.3 1.00 kg. Candi Sugar (Homemade) 1.046 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
43.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 4.80 24.9 60 min.
25.00 g. Saazer Pellet 4.30 3.5 15 min.

Yeast
-----

3522 Belgian Ardennes Yeast

Rob - just a query on adding the candi sugar to the boil. Did you revert it to liquid or just drop the chunk into the kettle?

Cheers, Hoges.

Hey Mate,

haven't brewed it yet but i've smashed it up and put it into zip lock bags and in the fridge, when i brew with it i'll just chuck it in with 10 minutes left of the biol.

Rob.

The monster lives on, did you manage to catch some as it crawled out of your fermenter?

hehe...

the plan is to dump this batch onto the yeast cake from the brewday, i just can't bare to waste it!

Amber Candi Sugar [my secret recipe], almost set rock hard. ;)
Brewing Friday [guess what style].

Amber_sugar_web.jpg

im with mhb about the sugar my last strong ale i used dex and raw sugar with malts a 10% belgian strong and it was a ripper

also my preivous belgians have been raw sugar no probs

I am also with MHB when he says brewing is" An artistic interpretation of an inexact science", I don't know why or how but the candi sugar DOES improve some Belgian styles. B)

Edit: Typo and add photo of the set sugar.

Candi_web.jpg

I've been pondering this further.

Belgian candi sugar is
* big chunks / crystals ... well as neonmate says, it goes into solution so what does that matter?
* 99.95% the same as cane sugar ... do I really think that 0.05% has magic qualities?
* caramlelised ... which is the only thing I can see can make a difference to the taste.
* $10 / kg :excl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup
</edit>

-braufrau

Sorry for dragging up an old post but it is a good one.

A quick calculation shows for 1kg of sugar 0.05% is 0.5g. If you think about water chemistry it counts, if you think what amount of the hops you boil stay in the beer than 0.5g in a 23l batch or about 22ppm could matter a lot.

So if you are a K&K type like my good self :p what's the best way to use this sugar? Do you have to dissolve it in water all over again to use? Surely the yeast can't chew through rock hard candy?

Any suggestions?

That's some sweet looking toffee, rob. I vaguely remember making that in the confectionery module at university.

Let us know how it turns out, should be great in a golden strong.

howd it turn out ???haha
im also breing something similar but actually have the dark rock candi (bought it before i new any better) was wondering what sort of flavour i could expect from it i've heard of rum/raisins is this true?

Latest posts

Back