Can starsan go off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonP

Reaction score
Really annoyed. Just about to tip my 3rd brew in a row down the sink, lost to an infection. I rarely have infections and pretty good with my sanitation (up until now anyway). Each brew I used different fermentors and cooling cube so can rule them out. I sanitise with starsan and havent changed my process for the last couple of years.
Recipes have been simple 2 grain bill with single hop. Yeast have all been dried packet yeast, re-hydrated in a sanitory way.
My question is can starsan go off? I've had this bottle for about 12 months and the cap broke a couple months ago so no longer air tight. Failing that, anyway the grain can carry an infection through mashing and boiling? I wouldn't have thought so, but no idea where the source of this damn infection is coming from.

Star san should last a lot longer than 12mnths. It doesnt contain any volatile components so evaporation shouldnt be an issue.

As for your infection....well pick a card from the deck. You need to look at EVERY THING that touches your wort after the boil. Infections come from the most un suspecting sources. It is possible that all your vessels are contaminated, could be a racking hose, could be gunk in you tap or thread.

Cant help with a source for your infection but you may have to go down the route of going hardcore with a caustic bath then maybe a bleach bath to sterilise your gear

Here's a homebrewtalk thread about testing your starsan. It may help you work out how yours is:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/testing-star-san-347596/

Logic would dictate that if you're doing a full boil over 60 or more minutes, nothing that's nasty to beer should survive. Starsan will last a very long time in it's condensed form, according to several articles a Google search returns. As Stu said, your infections can come from pretty much any source post boil. Quite a few brewers on here have had several infections that have been very hard to budge (insert innuendous comment here) and have spent a lot of time and money either cleaning the absolute bejesus out of their brew gear, or replacing some/all of it.

Try pulling the taps apart on your fermentors. Then get a toothbrush and clean the thread.

If you aren't comfortable pulling the taps apart, they're less than $5 each at Bunnings.

Odd. I have not had any infection issues and don't sanitise. I go from brew to brew with hot water.
I'd strip anything and everything to pieces/ bin what you cannot strip, and pour boiling water on it ALL.

I used 3 different fermentors, taps, transfer tubing etc..... so either I'm missing something or multiple equipment are contaminated. I guess I'll have to clean and sanitise everything with a fine tooth comb. It's a f*cker coz not gonna have any beer for Xmas at this rate.

roverfj1200 said:
Are you sure its a infection.
Yes it'sdefinitely infected with something....... smells and tastes bad. Krausen has orange patches in it. Fementing beer is froathier than usual.

I would be looking at your rehydration, do you use boiling water before the starsan? I have had my bottle of starsan for a few years and still does its job. Everything on the ferment side gets hit with boiling water as well though.

Also check the tap on your kettle. Do you have any fruit trees?

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
I would be looking at your rehydration, do you use boiling water before the starsan? I have had my bottle of starsan for a few years and still does its job. Everything on the ferment side gets hit with boiling water as well though.

Also check the tap on your kettle. Do you have any fruit trees?

Cheers
I was thinking about the kettle tap. Will strip it down tonight. When rehydrating, I use boiling water before and after starsan and never had a problem. Maybe next brew I will sprinkle or use liquid to rule out.

No fruit trees around.

JasonP said:
I was thinking about the kettle tap. Will strip it down tonight. When rehydrating, I use boiling water before and after starsan and never had a problem. Maybe next brew I will sprinkle or use liquid to rule out.

No fruit trees around.
how long did your cubes no chill for?

bradsbrew said:
how long did your cubes no chill for?
I chill with immersion chiller down to 30odd C then cube and stick in fridge for a couple hours until 20C. Just given immersion chiller a good scrub too.

Just took tap off kettle and lots of brown $hit that came off pretty easy. I'll be cleaning that after every brew from now on.

And where they sealed tight, remembering that as the cube cools it will want to suck air in.

Ducatiboy stu said:
And where they sealed tight, remembering that as the cube cools it will want to suck air in.
Only warm when cube and tight. I lay on side to cool quicker and no leaks.

JasonP said:
I chill with immersion chiller down to 30odd C then cube and stick in fridge for a couple hours until 20C.
How long do you put the imersion chiller in before the end of the boil. ......And why dont you chill it to 20*c in the kettle...

Ducatiboy stu said:
How long do you put the imersion chiller in before the end of the boil. ......And why dont you chill it to 20*c in the kettle...
5 mins before end of boil, and cant get it down to below 30. Could use ice bath to chill further but never had problem in 5 years using this method.

Yep your problem is your chilling regime, not the starsan.

Your method is just asking for infection.

bradsbrew said:
Yep your problem is your chilling regime, not the starsan.

Your method is just asking for infection.
Its been fine for last 5 years up until the last 3 brews.

Latest posts

Back