Can someone please recommend me a beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol

I aint trolling.

I do appreciate the advice and this forum is helping me appreciate beer and close in on a staple.

As for the other threads, some are mine, 2 werent.

I wasnt even trolling on them either. Guess people are just prejudiced against alcoholic stoned pirates which is fair enough.

The cycling forum turned on me because i claimed lance armstrong was on steroids years ago and they were like, as if, hes been thoroughly tested blah blah. Guess i was right.

Anywho.

If anyone here feels if i have personally attacked them, ignored good advice or been a dick in general by all means ban me.

Will try James Squire beers on my next run along with guiness and other stouts.

I have only tried ales and lagers so far so a creamy stout might be more palatable.

Cheers all.

Sounds like a good plan :)

I figured it would be an aquired taste like wine and smoking etc.

I never liked rum when i first had it but ended up drinking it by the gallon :p

stonedpirate said:
Speaking of chilled, i just had a beer that blew my mind.

Left it in the freezer for too long.

It was still liquid in the bottle.

As i poured it into my glass, it turned to ice. Now i have a beer that has a tiny bit of liquid and a hude head of ice.

Its like a beer slushy.

Quite tasty.

Will try more ciders as suggested and will do more research on style.

Cheers

Dali1_2556308b.jpg

Well, actually...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T68TvdoSbI

Posted it elsewhere not long ago, haven't tried it myself and apparently it needs a sugary drink to work, but who knows?
I'll give it a try one day.

Can that be done with pee and the correct helmet?

Well maybe in Finland.
Who wants to sail to Finland on my bicycle?

Todays beer review.

Guinness Extra Stout. Pours nice and black like a coke with a creamy head on it. Smells like 2c coins steeped in hot water.

Tastes like beer then 3 seconds later, mouth full of vegemite. Yuck. What are the irish thinking?

Second up, thought i would try a scottish beer. Innis and Gunn barrel aged beer. Looks golden like honeyy, nice little head. Tastes like beer then a mouthful of off honey mixed with bourbon. Yuck.

3rd up, Koppaberg mixed fruit cider. Poured like a gay strawberry cordial with a little head. Tasted like gummy bear juice. Got rid of that horrid scottish and irish beer taste. 10 out of 10 lol.

Oh, and i'm not lying about the super cooled corona.

Did some more research, its actually quite common.

Leave a beer in the freezer till its almost at freezing point.

Pour, instant beer slushy.

Makes a nasty corona almost drinkable.

Good luck in your search for palatable high strength booze.

Try a duvel. if that fails, go back to rum.

All the best.

Surely the loss of members would energise fresh new members ?
Resurrection , touching cloth n science bitches

The end isn't the end ? Didn't Bribie spoil the end though ? You mean there us more ?
More !
You want more !

Gooday Stoned Pirate. If you want to brew strong beers to keep cost down and to stay away from the rumbos, you might have to invest a few hundred bucks in getting some gear. Having said that, here is a recipe I use for a clear lager with flavour but not overly hoppy. I am going to be brewing lagers with more hops myself. 1 can Morgans Blue Mountain lager, 1kg dry malt extract, .5kg corn syrup. A good lager yeast helps too. Now if you brewed that you would get around 4.5% alc. throw in another kilo of DME or dextrose or corn sugar or a mixture of all three and it will take you up in the vicinity of where you want to be, I would put another sachet of the same yeast in too. Couple of issues for you though. I have a fermenting fridge where I can strictly control temperature, I have the time and patience to faff about with brewing all day if I want. I have prolly $1000 plus of equipment and I think I need more. The minister for war and finance has different ideas. Temp control is key here, as is cleanliness, and you live in Perth where this time of year it is usually bloody hot, so you have some thinking to do there.
Lastly I say, you may have a few skanky brews but don't lose faith. Brewing becomes a joy, in fact I have a book called The Joy of Brewing by an American author Charlie Pappazian.
It won't take you long to get something close to what you want and you can then tweak to perfection as your knowledge and enthusiasm increase. Research (Google) is your friend.
All the best.

Thanks Wavemaker. Yeah, I will stick with it.

As for temperature control, my coopers DIY brew is on day three and i have managed to keep it at a constant 21 degrees by sitting it in front of my air conditioner which i run 24/7 in summer.

If lagers need lower temps then i will have to invest in a fridge.

Cheers

stonedpirate, if you are going to invest in something to keep your beers cool whilst fermenting, look for a tucker box type freezer and buy a temperature control unit for it, the bigger the better. You will need at least 3 fermenters on the go all the time to keep up with your intake. Personally I would want something that could take 5, just so you can get ahead and be drinking nicely conditioned beer from the tap on our keg fridge,
.. These units cost around $80 but are well worth it. 21 degrees constant isn't too bad but I would be looking for sub 18 if I could. I keep mine around 15/16 C. If you can afford to go with Kegging you will be paid back in double. There is something oddly satisfying about walking up to your fridge, pulling an ice cold mug from the freezer then pouring a beautifully brewed ale/lager/beer. It's twice as good again when you have people around and they watch with slack jaws as you complete the ritual with a long pull on your beer and say, " Ahhh, better than the swill they sell in pubs!"

Sounds good :)

Well i'll keep reading. I might as well go all out and buy a keg system and fridge for fermenting.

And thanks Rab, i''l keep an eye out for it.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back