Can i leave my wort over night to cool?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
just wondering if it would be ok to leave my wort overnight to cool? Also should i leave the hop bag in there overnight also or take it out??

When wort is at a certain temp range (between 5 and 65 odd) it is sucseptible to infection from microorganisms that will put weird flavours in the beer. Yeast is a microorganism and when it is present in the wort and has a haed start, it should outrun those others.

Therefore you need to either

1. Chill as quickly as possible so you can get yeast in there

OR

2. Keep the wort in a sanitised, sealed container until you can pitch yeast.

Anything else is a risk. It's a risk you may get away with - boil and cover pot, glad wrap over pot, pot in cold fridge, etc but there is a chance it will work and a chance it won't.

What's your proposed method?

I am a BIAB brewer, i brew in a 50litre pot. I usually place in an ice bath but dont have time to do it for this one. So was going to keep it in the brew pot cover ( seal with glad wrap and leave in kitchen overnight to cool. Should i leave the hop bag in over night? Or not ?

You should get away with it provided there aren't any nooks and crannies (such as a ball lock tap) where nasties could be lurking. For example I never do it in an urn as there are parts of the pot that don't get a good boil, tap and sight tube. Even if I'm pitching the next day I always "no chill" the wort by running it into a well sanitised cube.

beno1 said:
Should i leave the hop bag in over night?
I'd take the bag out before sealing, then go and buy a cube from bunnings tomorrow so you don't have to worry about it again.

JD

People do no chill in kettles with no issue. I'd second JD's suggestion.

I've done this once or twice. How else would people have cooled their wort before they knew/cared about bacteria? I reckon you'll be fine :)

Done si myself a few times, prefer not to but in a pinch I've been known to bang the lid on and walk away, I do so knowing the risks.

One problem of course is overnight might not be long enough. The bloody things take ages to cool, and when temps raise again during the day they can slow down the cooling for the final few degrees even more.

TimT said:
I've done this once or twice. How else would people have cooled their wort before they knew/cared about bacteria? I reckon you'll be fine :)
People used to use bleeding as a means of controlling infection, leeches were once used commonly in medical treatment, mentally ill people given cold water baths to treat hysterical conditions and trephination was quite common once upon a time. Lobotomy was quite in vogue for a while too.

Just because something is old or once was common, doesn't mean that improvements aren't exactly that (an improvement). Before people knew about bacteria, they possibly drank really foul tasting beer. Some of the shit that's got in my improperly sealed cubes wouldn't be fit for a meth drinker.

I'm interested in historical brewing practices and the evolution of brewing science and practice too but there's also a good reason things don't always remain as they once were. History and culture evolve.

That said, when I hear modern pop music I realise evolution isn't always onwards and upwards. One step forwards, two steps back.

You mean I've spent all this time and money on finding a doctor for trepanning for nothing? Damn!

I do take your point Manticle. But also worth remembering that when brewers replace judgement based on common sense with judgement based on often poorly-understood science, they do themselves and the ancient art of brewing a disservice. We all know the risks of infection - but we shouldn't exaggerate them.

TimT said:
You mean I've spent all this time and money on finding a doctor for trepanning for nothing? Damn!
Most people just do it with a cordless these days. Catch up. Ozitos are cheap.

I agree we shouldn't exaggerate but brewers continually ask the same thing - will my x y z be OK if I take this short cut?

Answer is maybe, maybe not. People want reassurance but I'm not sure why. Do or do not as Yoda once said.

I'd read somewhere to put the cooling kettle on cold concrete. I guess the theory is that heat transfers to concrete better than air. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity reckons that concrete is a slightly better conductor than soil and a fair bit better than air alone. Water is sort of in the middle of the two. This also shows that aluminium is more conductive than stainless steel. Putting aside other issues an al pot on concrete should cool quicker than stainless steel in air alone (like on the stove top above the gas burners). However, I may have completely misunderstood the science.

As to the other issues, I'm not sure but I plan on chilling my first BIAB this way. Now it will be on the concrete.

Ive covered it with glad wrap and put it on a concrete floor for the night. It will be fine. Howz all these poor people in 3rd world countries and were here debating about this.
Thanks for the feedback guys .

Good discussion - has helped me map out my own procedure

1. Transfer from kettle to sanitised fermenter
2. Seal fermenter (inc air lock)
3. Leave to cool overnight on concrete floor
4. Put in ferment fridge with stc set at 18c following day
5. Pitch once 18c achieved on fermenter

Presumption is that fermenter is no different to a cube and this means one less transfer of wort

Back