Can i leave my wort over night to cool?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S.E said:
There was no misunderstanding regarding carb level being recommended, when I pointed out in another thread that an infected no chill cube could swell up and burst same as a cask cube I just received an extremely abusive personal attack and a link to a keg bulk buy.

I just think it a shame that some members on here are so stubbornly against the idea and try to put others off trying it with talk of electrical hazards, hydraulics and explosions etc.
Well whatever it was it would be best put to bed or sorted out privately between members rather than being mentioned in every thread on cubes.

I take no sides nor do I wish to adjudicate. I also have no problem with the idea of cask conditioned real ale cubes.

When I used to no chill in Willows I got one of the last white 20L Willow Jerries. I emailed them and they said that they went to blue as it protects the cubes from degenerating in sunlight, being that most usage was by campers and 4WD enthusiasts who used them for water storage. Waste of a cube if you ask me.

However she did say that due to this, they made sure that the blue shyte was tastless, odourless and didn't leach out. Much.

Back on topic, a Willow Jerry is actually a better NC cube than a cube cube due to its more efficient surface to volume ratio. Sadly I had to move away from them as I no longer bottle and they hold way too much for a keg brew.
I still have a cube cube as a reserve, gets some use in the brewing comps season, but I usually split a batch of wort between two 10L jerries that cool down even quicker.

Edit: the Willows "stretch" themselves after many brews as they become somewhat bulged at the sides and can hold up to 25L.

New_guy said:
Good discussion - has helped me map out my own procedure

1. Transfer from kettle to sanitised fermenter
2. Seal fermenter (inc air lock)
3. Leave to cool overnight on concrete floor
4. Put in ferment fridge with stc set at 18c following day
5. Pitch once 18c achieved on fermenter

Presumption is that fermenter is no different to a cube and this means one less transfer of wort
this is okay, as others have said, with a few caveats. namely head space but the other one i don't think others have mentioned as yet is giving it a good old splash around once it gets to 18C so you give your yeasties some oxygen love, before pitching.

Did you just call him 'love'? :huh:

As for cooling wort overnight, I only do this for Hefeweizens when I'm transferring directly from kettle to fermenter, fill headspace with Co2 and leave until pitching temp is reached.
I do this to deliberately starve the wort of oxygen, which in my setup and process and to my palate enhances the flavour profile of that style.

Latest posts

Back