Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys
another question,i have my coopers pale ale brewing at the moment which is at 1012 ,been in there for 5 days,i intend trying the method of running it into another fermenter barrel ,how long will i leave it in there for and when i bulk prime wouldnt the brew get stirred up when you add your priming sugar and lift any yeast deposits off the bottom,then i would think this would defeat the purpose of which it was intended for ,ie to keep the yeast out of your bottles
obviously there is an answer to this
cheers
fergi

hi fergi,
you must rack it to your 2nd fermenter and leave it there for about 1-2 weeks, or until it has cleared up sufficiently. Then you rack it to another fermenter or jerry etc, which will leave behind the yeast sediment in the 2nd fermenter. After you have done all this, you can bulk prime it before transfering it to your bottles.
Having said that, you are still going to get yeast sediment in your bottles anyway, because of the secondary fermentation that will occur in the bottle which is neccesary for carbonation.
I would suggest that if you really want a sediment free beer, go the kegging option.

hope this helps

vlbaby

fergi, leave it there until the sg has stabilised - a sign that fermentation has finished. When you rack it from primary to secondary make sure you let a small amount of the yeast cake through - if you are too efficient there may not be the yeast population required and it may stick.

The point of bulk priming is, IMHO, more about ensuring an even distribution of priming sugar - whatever that may be - than adding a teaspoon to each bottle. The yeast cake should have settled out anyway in the secondary so there shouldn't be an issue with excessive yeast in the bottles. In my experience I have never had an issue with too much yeast in the bottle.

Chatty

Hey all, got a question. Just bottled a double brew of Coopers Real Ale on the weekend, hence having to put sugar in approx 120 stubbies. Now, I can handle putting the sugar in, but if I were to bulk prime, how do I work out how much sugar to put in the brew, and what method do I need to use?
Cheers,
Brett

Coppo said:
Hey all, got a question. Just bottled a double brew of Coopers Real Ale on the weekend, hence having to put sugar in approx 120 stubbies. Now, I can handle putting the sugar in, but if I were to bulk prime, how do I work out how much sugar to put in the brew, and what method do I need to use?
Cheers,
Brett
Hey, I'm no expert at bulk priming however when I have done it the few times I have I used the following calculator to work out how much to use:

http://www.grumpys.com.au/brew_analyser.php3

Hope it helps

SD :)

Back