Bulk Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two that I've bought from (actually second one someone else bought and split with a few of us but seemed to go well and I know many others use them successfully)

Local: Ellerslie Hop

Overseas: Hops direct

Nikos is great .. I have a freezer full of EKG, Saaz and Styrians from him ... frakin awesome quality and very good prices .. stock up I say !!!

Big time fan of Ellerslie Hop.

Last time i bought from them 500g of POR was less than $20.

Reckon i spent about $25 all up to get it to my door.

1.2kg for $50 from US seems to be terrific value Goomba!

Have also used Hops Direct on occasion and there service is also very good.

Big time fan of Ellerslie Hop.

Last time i bought from them 500g of POR was less than $20.

Reckon i spent about $25 all up to get it to my door.

1.2kg for $50 from US seems to be terrific value Goomba!

Have also used Hops Direct on occasion and there service is also very good.

I also like Ellerslies. I've used then a couple times now for 1 kilo packs.
A kilo of POR was $33 and a lot of the other pellets are under $50 a kilo.

Ellerslie's Czech Saaz is really nice.

Ellerslie for all the "cooking" hops like Challenger, Saaz and Styrians.
Hops Direct for C hops and bitterers like Galena. However I had to throw away a pound of Hallertau Mittelfreuh from HD - they made Chinese Saaz taste noble by comparison <_<

My Centennial from Ellerlslies are my favourite hops so far by a long shot. :D

Two that I've bought from (actually second one someone else bought and split with a few of us but seemed to go well and I know many others use them successfully)

Local: Ellerslie Hop

Overseas: Hops direct

US: nikohops

Those 3 sum it up for me
Ellerslie for their own hops, seem to be the freshest
Hops Direct for larger orders from the US
Niko for orders up to 2.5lb as works out great value with the postage.

I use to get some from ebay, but I had a couple of orders that were not up to scratch that I had to throw, so no more.

QldKev

Got 2.5 lbs of hops (4 different varieties) from niko home brew for around $60, all split into 2oz bags. Received within 2 weeks, pretty happy so far, though I haven't actually used any yet. Postage is $14 to aus for up to 2.5 lbs split orders ie. 8 oz + 4oz + 8oz etc or 3lbs for whole pound orders ie 1lb+1lb+1lb
Cascade hops $10 per pound, pretty cheap I think, I've seen them $8 per 50g bag at some places

hi guys, im thinking of buying some bulk hops.

how long do they last? and is it best to keep them sealed in freezer?

hi guys, im thinking of buying some bulk hops.

how long do they last? and is it best to keep them sealed in freezer?

In the freezer, stored in airtight (but not vacuumed) bags, they'll lose about 10% of their AA rating per year.

Vacuum bagged, and frozen, they'll lose about half that.

So a 10% AA hop will be 7% in three years if not vacuumed; 8.5% if.

This is a rough guide and doesn't include how the flavour/aroma compounds degrade. It's best to use as fresh as possible for aroma/flavour.

You can't import flowers, only pellets. I think you can import flowers from NZ though.

NZ flowers are allowed in. However with the Kiwi hops unless you are personally visiting there and can get hooked up with a farmer or local dealer, all the hops are controlled by a hops "board" a bit like our wheat board and the supply is pretty much earmarked, so best of luck finding a cheap supply.

thanks for the info Nick JD!

id be confident i could use the pellets within 6 months.

now all i need to do is look at cutting my yeast cost.

I just add a small amount of dry yeast to some brown sugar in a glass, pour in some water and cover with glad wrap and a rubber band. In a couple of days it has finished growing and can be added to the fermenter. I just use an unsterilized glass from the cupboard and have never had a problem. :lol: Some of the extremes I read people post on here are hilarious.

I just add a small amount of dry yeast to some brown sugar in a glass, pour in some water and cover with glad wrap and a rubber band. In a couple of days it has finished growing and can be added to the fermenter. I just use an unsterilized glass from the cupboard and have never had a problem. :lol: Some of the extremes I read people post on here are hilarious.
It's also hilarious when people post crap/in the wrong thread. :)

Latest posts

Back