Bugger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone who posted on this thread actually looked up the definition of sanitation in the dictionary? From my understanding its really only a good cleaning. :p

I get all my brewing tips from Webster's.

I get all my brewing tips from Webster's.

And why wouldn't you? He was really cool.

webster_long.jpg

Funny this should arrive in my email today from beersmith
The email is titled, 'Brewing to lose'

Tip #1

1. Never Sanitize or Sterilize your Equipment - Bad beer requires bacteria, wild yeasts and other beasties to produce sour off flavors. The Belgians have known this for hundreds of years, and relied on wild yeast and bacteria in many of their greatest brews. Go Belgian on your next brew - stop all of that unnecessary washing and sanitizing and let your equipment go native. You will save money and precious time. No one likes to clean their equipment - so just reuse the rotting gunk from your last batch to spoil your next one

This is from the fermentis saflager w-3470 pdf:

I believe most/all strains produced and packaged by fermentis have this information. Not sure about other brands.

I have a brochure for the White Labs yeast range. It states "White Labs liquid brewers yeast is tested to be over 95% viable, 100% free of wild yeast, aerobic bacteria and aneaerobic bacteria".

I know that they are trying to say it's pure but it also reads as a product that contains "aerobic bacteria and aneaerobic bacteria". Gramma was never my strong point so I could be horribly wrong there.

So those 5 bacterial cells ... what happens to them (let's include the million in your sanitised fermenter too)?

Do the yeast kill them? Do they live in conjunction with the yeast but only have such a small population that their byproducts are below the threshold of taste?

I don't think the yeast kill them - just prevent them from multiplying to levels where they become a problem. Like other microflora, bacteria can happily remain dormant for some time.

As far as I understand, that's one reason people often recommend against re-using dried yeast.

Not sure myself whether that recommendation is sound but I tend not to sweat the extra 6 or 7 bucks on the odd occasion I do use it (and rarely sweat the 11 bucks for a fresh smack pack of the strain I want to use).

Quite likely there's loads more actual info out there than the snippet I posted. Anyone really interested should be able to find something more without much stress.

I have a brochure for the White Labs yeast range. It states "White Labs liquid brewers yeast is tested to be over 95% viable, 100% free of wild yeast, aerobic bacteria and aneaerobic bacteria".

I know that they are trying to say it's pure but it also reads as a product that contains "aerobic bacteria and aneaerobic bacteria". Gramma was never my strong point so I could be horribly wrong there.

It's saying it is 100% free of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Not that it contains them.

This is from the fermentis saflager w-3470 pdf:

I believe most/all strains produced and packaged by fermentis have this information. Not sure about other brands.

This info probably means they did not detect any bacteria or wild yeast, but can't claim there aren't any since there is a detection limit to any test.

Well I've finally tried all three brews I put down, and not a hint of infection. I got lucky. I might just do one brew at a time from now on. Fewer distractions.

Latest posts

Back