Broken mini mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameson

Reaction score
Does any one know if you can buy replacement parts for the mini mill? Or some one that could straighten my mill up? Went out to the shed the other night only for the dog to go in and send the mill to the floor busting the hopper up. I looked at the time and thought bit of ducked tape shell be alright. Went to do a smoked porter this morning fixed it up and bam the shaft is bent bad.
Absolutely gutted as this is a mill I was going to pass on to my grand kids in 40 years time.
Will give Ross a call on Tuesday when they open. Not sure on a fix as it is a solid piece of steel maybe some heat. I live Brisbane northside.
Cheers Jameson

1396750098456.jpg

You could take it to a machinist. Get them to put it in a lathe and machine it smaller that will make it straight again and then get a bearing to suit the housing and new shaft size or you could get them to make a totally new one.

I don't think that heating it is going to achieve anything.

Thanks Nathan will have a look about. Plus that gives me an idea that the brother in law has a lathe at his factory. Will give him a call and see if his fitter is any good on it.
Cheers.

Is that the local mill they may do a deal and exchange or they may be able to fix.

Mash master from craftbrewer? Thought it was a import looking at mash master at the top.

If its a Millmaster mini I'd get in contact with Frank@mashmaster first........I managed to shear the shaft of my millmaster 1 a few years ago (yeah......pretty sure I'm the only one to accomplish that feat) and he sorted me out....he seemed to have a few spare bits and pieces from memory.

There must be a fitter here who can help you out, I could fix that in a jiffy. Unfortunately I'm off to work for a while, otherwise you could have sent it to me.

Don't stress it's not a big problem.

Batz

If no luck with a replacement part (or too expensive) you brother in law will be able to sort something easily enough with access to a lathe.

One thought is cutting it back to before the bend and facing it on the lathe and tapping a hole to accommodate a newly turned shaft, you might need a reverse thread depending on the rotation (so that it doesn't unscrew when used), or you could use a roll pin or similar to prevent it rotating. You could also just drill a plain old hole and press-fit in a newly made shaft again use a roll pin as insurance against it rotating in the hole.

When I was on the tools it would have been a <30 minute job. You'll get it sorted pretty easy.

Rudi 101 said:
If no luck with a replacement part (or too expensive) you brother in law will be able to sort something easily enough with access to a lathe.

One thought is cutting it back to before the bend and facing it on the lathe and tapping a hole to accommodate a newly turned shaft, you might need a reverse thread depending on the rotation (so that it doesn't unscrew when used), or you could use a roll pin or similar to prevent it rotating. You could also just drill a plain old hole and press-fit in a newly made shaft again use a roll pin as insurance against it rotating in the hole.

When I was on the tools it would have been a <30 minute job. You'll get it sorted pretty easy.
To further this, another option is to cut the shaft, drill a hole and counter sink it, put a new shaft in the hole and weld in the countersinking
chuck it back in the lathe if need be to clean up the weld, so that it doesn't rub on any other surfaces

Just straighten the thing, easy. It's a slow turning barley mill, no ones going to the moon on this thing.
If I could not strip that puppy and repair and straighten the shaft and have it up and running within two hours I'll be out of a job.

You guys amaze me.

Batz

With Batz on this one,

You bend stainless cold if you can't tap it back in to shape you can heat it.

Use the least amount of heat you can if it resists your vice hammering.

Get your cave man on,

elcarter said:
With Batz on this one,

You bend stainless cold if you can't tap it back in to shape you can heat it.

Use the least amount of heat you can if it resists your vice hammering.

Get your cave man on,
Thank you elcarter, someone understands. The mill fell off a table, you don't need two oxy-sets and 4 meters of pipe to fix this. In fact if it fell off a table and bent like that I don't think it's quality stainless.

If all else fails there surely has to be someone at Brendale that can fix it. I've had things bent, straightened and cut at Dossells Engineering on Bribie Island for less than $20 (my mill handle got turned into a drill bit for example).

Thanks for the replies guys will see how I go when i get near a vice with a bit of pipe.
I did try this with out a vice but she ain't moving.
Cheers Jameson

The best technology is the simplest.
Try this .av.jpg

Shove the shaft in a pipe, long one. Hold the roller with thick gloved hands and use the leverage of the length and body weight.

Drop it back on the ground. On the other side this time.

Back