MillMaster Mini Mill slow after adjusting gap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
I dont see why not, if the crush is eqqual and if I can do something in 1/4 of the time it otherwise would, leaves more time for other things..
OT: Time to buy a Braumeister then Yob?

Is the roller issue something we should all be looking at?
I bought mine a couple of years ago from Ross & mine's got no issues. Crushes pretty quick & seems to be behaving itself.
You guys are making me nervous!

While motorising my mini mill I took a snap of the knurling. Seems ok to me, slight flat spot on the knurling. Never had an issue milling at 60 rpm but will be keen to see how it goes at 180 rpm.

20150301_134048 (1280x720).jpg

Can anyone confirm that their knurling was noticeably worse than mine? Not panicking, just expect this mill to last a lifetime so would rather the product support now rather than buying a new one down the track.

looks pretty good to me camo, mine was pretty much smooth to the touch when i started having issues.

Cheers Huez. Fair difference between our pics I thought. Gave the new motor a run with a few hundred grams of carapils and it sucked it down like Cocko on a schoolboy really quick.

Gah, mine has started having issues now after a year (only 26 batches). Last three brews I've increased the gap and run it through twice but today I had to increase a 3rd time to the point maybe 1/3 of the grain was un cracked on the first pass. Run the bill through 4 times decreasing the gap & managed to get the lot milled in about 90mins. Merry Xmas to me!

And my dear old Valley mill continues since 2005. Must be many tonnes through the old girl now.
They don't make them like they used too.

Mine's been playing up a bit lately as well but it only seems to be Maris Otter grains that it has any real trouble with. Last brew day it took nearly an hour to mill 4.5kg of MO using a drill to drive the rollers, then I put 500g Munich II through in about 30 seconds, and 300g medium crystal through in about 10 seconds. The Bo Pils malt I'd used on those batches earlier in the year also went through fine.

I have opened the gap on the rollers, not sure exactly what its measurement is but wider than a credit card. The fact that all grains aside from MO seem to be getting dragged through fine makes me wonder whether it's the grain or the mill causing the issue... will have to have a closer inspection of the rollers tomorrow. Planning a brew on Thursday so I guess I'll be sitting there for another hour crushing grains. :blink:

or you could try "malt conditioning" and if done according to recommendations it really works a treat.

I tried that malt conditioning once, might have overdone the water a bit but it did work. It caused the mill to get stuck at first though, I had to widen the gap to wider than where it is now to get it to go through, but it certainly went through a lot faster.

Having said that, in some ways it doesn't particularly worry me because it gives me something to do while the mash water heats up. :p

I don't really have to wait for my mash water to heat up - 65deg straight from the HWS

Mine look like the roller on the RHS. Took a pic on the good camera but haven't transferred to a PC yet.

Crunched said:
2MB limit on file uploads?? What are we in 1995 and everyone has dial-up?

Here's the image hosted elsewhere:

7wTQG2p.jpg

Feedback on these mills is not great, I hope the new model gets the problems sorted. The original MillMaster was a fantastic mill.

I scored a bar of 4140 thinking about having a go at making my own replacements.

Batz said:
Feedback on these mills is not great, I hope the new model gets the problems sorted. The original MillMaster was a fantastic mill.
I am not happy with mine either, even after the replacement rollers I have too run the grain through a couple of times to get a consistent crush. I dont hold much hope for the upgrade, which is a shame for a local product.
I am over the mini mill and looking to get a new one.

What's a better mill?

Batz said:
The original MillMaster was a fantastic mill.
Been using my original MillMaster now for about 8 years since they were first released, and it still works a treat.

Back