MillMaster Mini Mill slow after adjusting gap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
Feedback on these mills is not great, I hope the new model gets the problems sorted. The original MillMaster was a fantastic mill.

bradsbrew said:
I am not happy with mine either, even after the replacement rollers I have too run the grain through a couple of times to get a consistent crush. I dont hold much hope for the upgrade, which is a shame for a local product.
I am over the mini mill and looking to get a new one.

What's a better mill?
There's two threads concurrently going regarding the same issues (http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/86495-knurling-on-a-mashmaster-mini-mill/page-3#entry1336038):

1. Extremely slow/poor crush on most British malts and;
2. Slow/Poor Crush on other grains progressively getting worse as time goes on

As mentioned by bradsbrew, the replacement rollers that were sent some months back didn't solve the problem.

Frank's communication was great in the start, however my last 2 emails (1 month apart) have gone unanswered regarding an update - assume there isn't one or he's busy?

I spoke to Andrew at Fullpint about the issue a little over a week ago and his update was that the 'new' rollers and mills are en-route and expected in December, however Frank is at the mercy of the manufacturer and international shipping - this appears to be consistent with comments in this thread and the other (mentioned above).

I'm happy to continue waiting for the new rollers as I really like the overall design of the product and initially it's performance was great. I'm sure others are in the same boat and want to keep the product due to the fact they have a hopper/motor setup made for it.

Let's hope we get a few more updates and the stock does in-fact arrive in the next 8 days.

I've been told this week the shipment in December failed QA and is being re-done to get here early 2016.

My rollers are bearable if I open up the gap and mill twice. Still annoying but OK in the interim.

I kind of regret giving my marga mill to the local brewclub. The Marga certainly out performed the MashMaster -_-

My rollers are actually slightly thicker in the middle so more grain gets pulled through either end - pretty weird.

Anyway, hopefully they'll get replaced soon.

Parks said:
I've been told this week the shipment in December failed QA and is being re-done to get here early 2016.

My rollers are bearable if I open up the gap and mill twice. Still annoying but OK in the interim.
If this is true i'll be getting a refund and going for a monster mill or something similar. Bit over waiting to be honest

I too have been having difficulties with my new Mill Master. I've only done about 5 batches with it, but the last two batches with Golden Promise and Marris Otter were especially slow. I had to constantly stir the grains in the hopper around the rollers to get it to take, and what did get crushed was only being crushed by the ends of the rollers, rather than along the whole length of the roller. I've given the rollers a through clean, so well see how it takes on the next batch.

Edit: I use the Motion Dynamics Motor, and find the issue persists regardless of rpm.

warra48 said:
Been using my original MillMaster now for about 8 years since they were first released, and it still works a treat.
Everyone would owns an original one says this as well warra. My gut feeling is quality dropped for profit, happens with so many items now.
I would buy an original MM mill if I could, just watch how long they last on this site if offered for sale.
What mill to buy now? I believe the monster mill has a good rap but I don't own one so who knows.

i used to hate milling on my mini. Constantly moving the grain around with left hand while right hand ran the drill.

i opened the gap to 1.2mm and is working well.

Another trick os to crush a kilo or so tediously then mix through the rest of the bill. Helpsvit pull it through.

I've used both the Monster and MiniMill extensively. I would go the MiniMill any day. Current roller situation sucks, and needs to be remedied fast. But once it is you should have a good quality mill for life. The fact that the MashMaster is geared is the major selling point.

My Valley Mill is not geared, I have milled tonnes of grain with it without a problem. I think geared mills are no different from any others, if fact it seems to me a geared mill has had more problems pulling grain through than un-geared models.

I hope the problem is sorted with the new rollers.

Spiesy said:
I've used both the Monster and MiniMill extensively. I would go the MiniMill any day. Current roller situation sucks, and needs to be remedied fast. But once it is you should have a good quality mill for life. The fact that the MashMaster is geared is the major selling point.
Weren't we told that about the last upgrade?

bradsbrew said:
:lol: :p :lol:

rocky.jpg

I've requested a refund from craftbrewer. 2 mills and over a year of messing around with it equals a pretty annoyed customer. Even if the new rollers come in the next month or 2, they are going to be untested. Some photos of the new rollers and even photos of some crushed grain would have been appreciated. I do feel for frank though because this is probably costing a pretty penny, but when it comes down to it, the mill does bloody work!

bradsbrew said:
I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone from MashMaster, simply saying that once they fix the roller issue (which I understand has not been fixed) then all should be well. As others have stated, older MiniMill's are still running strong.

Batz said:
My Valley Mill is not geared, I have milled tonnes of grain with it without a problem. I think geared mills are no different from any others, if fact it seems to me a geared mill has had more problems pulling grain through than un-geared models.

I hope the problem is sorted with the new rollers.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but non-geared rollers only work by jamming grain in the roller gap to turn the non-drive roller and crush the grain, right? That's the only way grain gets through. This means some of the grain has to tear, rather than crush.

That's how I've always thought of it anyway.

Spiesy said:
I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone from MashMaster, simply saying that once they fix the roller issue (which I understand has not been fixed) then all should be well. As others have stated, older MiniMill's are still running strong.
Thats the problem for me Spiesy, mine is an older one and onto its second set of rollers, the second set were supposed to be better. I seriously hope for Franks sake that the next rollers fix the problem. My optimism has run dry.

Not enjoying reading this thread. I've got a mini mill I bought from CB several years ago that has worked trouble free for I don't know how many batches. I haven't used it much over the last year though so it hasn't really been overworked. I'm hoping these rollers were limited to certain batches and not the whole lot.

How long does it take for these faulty rollers to start creating problems?
Also, has anyone NOT had problems from their minimill?

bradsbrew said:
Thats the problem for me Spiesy, mine is an older one and onto its second set of rollers, the second set were supposed to be better. I seriously hope for Franks sake that the next rollers fix the problem. My optimism has run dry.
Oh, my bad. That sucks. I hope mine holds out!

My mashmaster mini mill works perfectly. Not sure how long I've had it though. Maybe 2 years? I could find out if I need to. When were these faulty rollers released ?

Latest posts

Back