• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Big Stainless Mill Up For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Up for sale is my custom made mill. I made it a few years ago but it has only seen a dozen brews. It was a labor of love and I was totally wrapped with the result. Im no longer brewing so hopefully someone else can add some practical bling to their brewery. On a home brewers scale its definitely on the large side and having stainless rollers its a cut above a lot of the commercially available home brewing jobs..

The pictures are as it was new but not much has changed. Still all in top working condition. It may have a little grain dust in places and lost a little sheen but that can be restored if youre into that.

The pictures below tell most of the story but heres a few of the specifics-

Rollers- solid 316 STAINLESS STEEL, 60mm diameter x 200mm long,. Light knurl.
One driven roller, one passive.
12mm input shaft.
Currently hand cranked. End of crank shaft is necked down to 3/8 so it can also be powered easily by a drill. I never felt the need! 12mm part of shaft easily adapted for a pulley if required.
Crank handle- aluminium with polycarbonate face.
Sealed ball race bearings housed in aluminium blocks. These clamp against the chassis with socket head cap screws to hold the rollers in position.
Gap adjustment is by allen key to loosen the bearing blocks on the passive roller. The gap is set by feeler gauge and blocks retightened. Simple but effective.
Chassis- Mini-Tec Aluminium extrusion
Hopper- Holds about 14Litres.. or 6+ kg of grain. 6mm polycarbonate held together with SS flat headed cap screws.

Performance- I only ever used it as a hand crank with a gap around the 1.5mm mark (light knurl/smooth rollers remember- so no gaps for the grain to sink into like the real heavy knurl does meaning finer gaps) Cranking was relatively easy and it would do 5kg in a couple of minutes.

I am selling this as PICK UP ONLY as the mill weighs in at 14kg! However pickup can be from either:
Newcastle area or
NSW Central Coast area (during the week as I work there) or
Croydon area in Melbourne as my parents will be down there in just over a weeks time.
I may be able to arrange pickup from Hornsby if required.

Price- $400 or best nearest offer.

Cheers

Brent

newcrank_1_.jpghopinsidedet_1_.jpg
hopmountdet_1_.jpgnewcrankdet_1_.jpg
01___readytocrush_1_.jpg03__2nd_mill_run_1_.jpg

Whoa! That's sad Borret

What a fantastic looking mill. Price is great too. :eek:

If the build quality is half as good as the mash paddle you so kindly gave me somebody is about to get the bargain of a lifetime.

That's gotta be the best one-off I've ever seen. Stainless rollers have me drooling. :super:

Warren -

Bugger !! I just realised it can also be picked up from Melbourne as well as NSW?

Sort of wishing I'd held off on my Monster now. Would have snapped it up in an instant. Money can't buy a mill like that. :wub:

Warren -

Looks a bit sexier than the ol marga!

pm sent.

I'm a sucker for the craftmanship that went into this mill.
Hate to see it leave the Hunter.

Les

SOLD..... to uncle Les.

Many thanks. Glad to see it go to a good home.

It has been wheat verified.... but need chocking down for the raw stuff. Too much area for rubber bullets and hand cranks.

Cheers

Now you can tell us why you're REALLY selling it :huh: or should you wait til you have the $$$$ from Les.....

joking Les - wish i was closer to the Hunter - would have snapped it up myself ;)

Oh there wont be any problems with that mill.

I remember when it was built and it was like seeing pictures ofthe latest super car on the market.

Between Borret, pumpy & myself (and maybe a couple more that i cant remember right now........ who built that red gum hard wood roller one?) building good grain mills with big SS rollers, It spawned the Mill revolution. Before that there were bugger all mills comercially available. There were a few good ones around but they were few and far between, and very pricy due to no competition.

I have noticed a good number of great, afordable grain mills apear on the market in the last 2 years or so and its a great thing.

2 roller, 3 roller, you name it there is a better range out there now that the barley crusher and a marga mill :wacko:

I was about to sent an email off to a couple of locals looking for a mill but its stayed local and a fine brewer has it. All good :)

How long till it gets a motor Les?

cheers

Something tells me this mill is going to crush a lot of wheat. :lol:

Warren -
Better than a good chance, Warren.
No raw stuff for a while, though, as I have plenty of rolled wheat, atm.
Tony
How long till it gets a motor Les?

I have few dead washing machines here, so it may not be long at all. No rush though. None at all.

I admired this mill (and the loving work that created it) when Borret first posted all those glorious pics. Thread here
To have the chance to own it, PRICELESS!

Thanks, Brent.
A shame to see that you're not brewing any more as there are more than a few fans of your brewing out there.

If you ever get back into brewing, I'll gladly sell the mill back to you (at a second-hand price). :lol:

lucky Les out :p

:D Collected the mill yesterday. Happily handed over the cash. :D

Also picked up some grains and hops, which Brent threw in with the mill.

Thanks again, Brent.

I hope to give the mill it's inaugural run in the Teninch Brewery within the next couple of weeks.
Yep, it'll be a wheat beer! ;)

Les :p

:D Collected the mill yesterday. Happily handed over the cash. :D

Also picked up some grains and hops, which Brent threw in with the mill.

Thanks again, Brent.

I hope to give the mill it's inaugural run in the Teninch Brewery within the next couple of weeks.
Yep, it'll be a wheat beer! ;)

Les :p

Sorry hadn't checked up that this thread kept going.

No worries on the extra's either Les. Not much good to me now. Hope it serves you well. Couldn't be happier to see it go to a good home.

I see on another thread you've given it a run. Are you happy with the results?

Cheers

Brent

Very happy with the result.
I made a batch of mild and the mill was cranked by "Hercules", my nearly 7 yr old lad, who refused to let Dad have a go.
(Lucky I rotated the crank a few turns b4 he started his "turn" - pun intended).

90 odd % extract efficiency. Does that sound right to you?
The last mild I made, I got about 84% extract eff., so that should be right.

Guess who I'm getting to grind all my malt now? :lol:
That'll teach him to do such a good job.

As advised in the other post, the only wheat used here was torrefied, but there should be an American Wheat beer in the works soon.

Beerz
Les

Very happy with the result.
I made a batch of mild and the mill was cranked by "Hercules", my nearly 7 yr old lad, who refused to let Dad have a go.
(Lucky I rotated the crank a few turns b4 he started his "turn" - pun intended).

90 odd % extract efficiency. Does that sound right to you?
The last mild I made, I got about 84% extract eff., so that should be right.

Guess who I'm getting to grind all my malt now? :lol:
That'll teach him to do such a good job.

As advised in the other post, the only wheat used here was torrefied, but there should be an American Wheat beer in the works soon.

Beerz
Les

90% sounds great if that's what your getting. I played around with gap over a few brews and arrived at where it is now. Even tried running it through twice on a wider gap to see if it gave a better crush but was a false economy. I think becasue the knurl is so slight that even on a single run it keeps husks well intact while giving the inards a hard time. Just what your after ;)

There is something luring about hand cranking.... and malted wheat never posed much of a problem. Raw red wheat (rubber bullets) on the other hand will require some serious choking down of the hopper or you and 'hercules' will both be standing on the crank to get it to turn :D

cheers

Brent

Hey Borret... saw one of your mash paddles in another thread, the wood one. Looks great. Any of these for sale? :)

Back