Briess Sorghum Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantsglutenfreehomebrew

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've just brought a 6kg tub of Briess Sorghum Malt from Grain and Grape in Yarraville. Great store by the way. Does anyone know where to get it in Australia in bulk orders. I email Briess in USA and they just ignore my emails.

Grant

extract or grain?? never heard of sorghum. Sounds like you mean liquid but it only comes in 1.5kg well according to the site you can buy bulk dried malt for $185 - 22.65kg

Hi all.

I've just brought a 6kg tub of Briess Sorghum Malt from Grain and Grape in Yarraville. Great store by the way. Does anyone know where to get it in Australia in bulk orders. I email Briess in USA and they just ignore my emails.

Grant

As Liam posted Brewers Choice does 28.75Kg for $360 or $12.52/Kg.
Looks like it will be cheaper to stick with G&G, 6Kg for $49.50 or $8.25/Kg.

Drew

You can buy raw sorghum grain, but you will need to malt it first. Millet man has some good info on malting your own GF grains and seeds. Personally I think it's worth going to the effort, but malt syrup is a whole lot easier.

Another option would be to use some GF rice syrup and other sugary things to reduce the quantity of sorghum malt required.

Jay

Hi, I have had experience brewing with sorghum but the grain was sourced by others. If grain and Grape have some they could surely organise more for you, but they are likely getting it through a wholesaler like Bintani?

Now I am a little off topic here but some important advise:

Use Rice Hulls! it turns to concrete in the mash tun. BIAB is also an advantage here.
Conversion temperatures are different to standard wheat/barley. Google "saccharification of sorghum" for more info.
Will not be as modified as popular malts, so stepped mashes an advantage.
Try home roasting some/making your own sorghum crystal malts for variety and flavour. Here is how

Sounds like G&G will be best value, 6kg will do a few brews for you. On a pedantic note, it's sorghum extract and not malt - it's made from raw grain.

Cheers, Andrew.

Hi all.

Grant

Sounds like G&G will be best value, 6kg will do a few brews for you. On a pedantic note, it's sorghum extract and not malt - it's made from raw grain.

Cheers, Andrew.

Correct you are. While I've got your ears (or should I say eyes) I'd just like to say thank you for giving us coeliacs beer. My favourite is your pale ale. Two questions for you if you don't mind.

1. When are we going to see a stout? I've had a G/F stout in England (Greens) and it was lovely. A nice Irish stout if I can place an order (lol).

2. I have been malting millet and buckwheat myself for my experimental brews but I am finding it hard to get millet. Do you know if the stuff from pet stores ok to use?

Cheers and keep up the great work.

Grant

I love CB, but I'm trying to figure out why they are charging double the amount per kg for sorghum malt, compared to G&G.

I'd also like to know if the sorghum extract on ESB is red sorghum or the same as G&G.

Goomba

I love CB, but I'm trying to figure out why they are charging double the amount per kg for sorghum malt, compared to G&G.

I'd also like to know if the sorghum extract on ESB is red sorghum or the same as G&G.

Goomba

Goomba,

Thanks for pointing out the pricing error, it has been corrected. I believe we are the cheapest.

Cheers Ross

Goomba,

Thanks for pointing out the pricing error, it has been corrected. I believe we are the cheapest.

Cheers Ross

Awesome, expect orders to ramp up Ross.

Indeed will be placing an order shortly to do a brew for my missus who has just found out she cant really have gluten.

I to noticed the cber update.

I have an uncle who is a coeliac. He only drinks wines now so I am trying to look at a recipe for him.

I am thinking all sorghum LME and Nelson hops. What yeast would you guys recommend?

Cheers!

I to noticed the cber update.

I have an uncle who is a coeliac. He only drinks wines now so I am trying to look at a recipe for him.

I am thinking all sorghum LME and Nelson hops. What yeast would you guys recommend?

Cheers!

Had a good run with US-05, it's an american ale yeast. Don't know what Nelson hops are like but it's a good all around yeast.

I love Nelson but take a "Less is More" approach to it.

I tend to avoid using it at 60 minutes as well, as I find it a bit harsh. There are other high AA% hops that do the job well.

Goomba

I made a wheat beer inspired beer with sorghum, a small amount of golden syrup, some hallertauer for bittering and flavor and then used WB06. Was the best of a handful of GF beers I've tried making.

sap.

Thanks Grant,

Try the Natural Light if you can get your hands on it, only 2.7% ABV but has a really nice flavour (brewing up a fresh batch right now). You should be able to get it at liquorland or they'll order it in.

I will be looking at doing some seasonal brews (400 case batches) and a stout is certainly on the cards but probably the first will be an IPA :icon_cheers:

Millet from a pet store will be fine, as it is mostly used for stock feed but is food grade also. Get the french white variety.

Cheers, Andrew.

Correct you are. While I've got your ears (or should I say eyes) I'd just like to say thank you for giving us coeliacs beer. My favourite is your pale ale. Two questions for you if you don't mind.

1. When are we going to see a stout? I've had a G/F stout in England (Greens) and it was lovely. A nice Irish stout if I can place an order (lol).

2. I have been malting millet and buckwheat myself for my experimental brews but I am finding it hard to get millet. Do you know if the stuff from pet stores ok to use?

Cheers and keep up the great work.

Grant

Latest posts

Back